I have been baking for years, but nothing quite compares to the sweet and tart flavor of this delicious Plum Skillet Cake! I can remember the first time I tried this recipe – the aroma of the plums as they cooked in the skillet was simply irresistible, and when I tasted it for the first time, it was love at first bite. The tender cake, combined with the juicy plums, was simply heavenly. If you’re looking for a simple yet indulgent dessert, this is definitely the recipe for you!
Plum Skillet Cake Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ripe plums, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and generously grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture and stir until just combined.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in the thinly sliced plums, then pour the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 330 kcal, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 16 g, Saturated Fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 70 mg, Sodium: 200 mg, Potassium: 105 mg, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 16 g, Vitamin A: 545 IU, Vitamin C: 1 mg, Calcium: 63 mg, Iron: 1 mg
What is a skillet cake and why should you try it?
A skillet cake is a delicious twist on a classic cake – it’s baked in a skillet or frying pan instead of a cake tin, giving it a delicious crunchy caramelised crust and a perfectly cooked centre. If you’ve never tried a skillet cake before, then you’re in for a real treat!
This Plum Skillet Cake is a great place to start – the tartness of the plums is offset by the sweetness of the crumbly cake and the crunchy caramelised crust. It’s a truly delicious combination of flavours and textures that you’ll want to make again and again.
The best thing about skillet cakes is that they’re incredibly easy to make – all you need to do is mix up the cake batter, add in your chosen fruit, and pour it into a pre-heated skillet. Pop it in the oven for around 25 minutes, and your skillet cake will be ready to enjoy.
If you’re looking for a delicious new way to enjoy classic cakes, then a skillet cake should definitely be on your to-try list. Whether you opt for the classic Plum Skillet Cake, or a variation of your own, you’ll be sure to enjoy the delicious combination of crunchy caramelised crust and perfectly cooked centre.
What makes a plum skillet cake unique?
A Plum Skillet Cake is unique because of its delicious combination of sweet and tart flavors, its ease of preparation, and its beautiful presentation. This cake is made with fresh plums and a variety of spices that give it a unique flavor. The plums are cooked in a cast-iron skillet, which helps to caramelize the fruit and give the cake a beautiful golden-brown crust. The cake is simple to make, requiring just a few basic ingredients, and can be served warm or cold. It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion, and is sure to impress your guests with its unique flavor and presentation.
What ingredients are needed to make a plum skillet cake?
When it comes to making a delicious plum skillet cake, you only need a few ingredients! All you need is fresh plums, butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, and eggs. The process is simple: melt the butter in the skillet, add the plums and sugar, and stir. Then, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and eggs, and pour it over the plums.
What are the steps to making a delicious plum skillet cake?
Making a delicious plum skillet cake is easier than you think! With just a few simple steps, you can whip up a warm and fragrant cake that’s sure to please. Here’s how to make it:
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, grease a cast-iron skillet with butter and set aside.
Next, prepare your cake batter. In a medium bowl, cream together 1/2 cup of softened butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar. Beat in 2 eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, sift together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until a thick batter forms.
Spread the batter into the prepared skillet. Top with 2 cups of halved and pitted plums, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool completely before serving.
What special techniques will help you make a perfect plum skillet cake?
It may seem like a daunting task to make a perfect plum skillet cake, but don’t worry! With just a few special techniques, you can make a delicious and beautiful cake that will be the star of the show.
The key to making the perfect plum skillet cake is to start with the right pan. Choose an oven-safe skillet that is large enough to hold the cake batter and a few plums. For a deeper flavor, use a cast-iron skillet. This will help the cake keep its shape while baking and give it a nice golden crust.
The next step is to prepare the plums. Slice the plums into thin wedges and toss them with a bit of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. This will help the plum pieces caramelize and give the cake a unique flavor.
Once the plums are ready, you can start making the cake batter. Use a standard yellow cake recipe and add a tablespoon of almond extract for an extra burst of flavor. Mix the batter until it is light and fluffy, then spread it evenly in the skillet. Carefully place the plum wedges on top of the batter and sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
Finally, bake the cake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Let the cake cool for a few minutes before serving to get the best texture.
What are some ideas for serving a plum skillet cake?
Serving a plum skillet cake is easy and delicious! Here are some ideas for making it even more special:
- Top the cake with a scoop of ice cream for a decadent treat.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg on the top for a unique flavor.
- Slice the cake into individual servings and add a dollop of freshly whipped cream to each.
- Use a drizzle of honey on top of the cake for a hint of sweetness.
- Serve the cake warm with a side of custard or crème anglaise for a classic pairing.