Ahhh, there’s nothing quite like a hot bowl of Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup to warm me up on a cold winter day. I’ve been making this comforting soup for years, and it never fails to hit the spot. From the sweet nuttiness of the squash to the earthy flavor of the cauliflower, this soup is loaded with flavor and nutrition. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy soup recipe, this is the one for you!
Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Butternut squash (1 medium-sized)
- Cauliflower (1 head)
- Onion (1 medium-sized)
- Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Vegetable broth (4 cups)
- Nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon)
- Cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Cayenne pepper (1/4 teaspoon)
- Parsley (1/4 cup, chopped)
- Welcome to your Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup recipe! This delicious, hearty soup is perfect for a cold winter night. Let’s get started!
- First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Next, peel and cube the butternut squash into 1 inch pieces. Then, cut the cauliflower into florets and dice the onion.
- Now, in a large roasting pan, add the squash, cauliflower, onion, and garlic. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss to combine. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Once the vegetables are roasted, add them to a large pot. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender. Make sure to fill the blender no more than halfway full, as hot liquids expand when blended. Blend the soup until smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and add the nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer on low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Once done, turn off the heat and stir in the chopped parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Your Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup is now ready to enjoy! Serve with a side of crusty bread and enjoy!
- Calories: 156 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 541 mg
- Potassium: 635 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 6.7 g
- Vitamin A: 8986 IU
- Vitamin C: 65.2 mg
- Calcium: 59 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
What is the best way to prepare this soup for maximum flavor?
The best way to prepare this delicious Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup for maximum flavor is to roast the vegetables first. Roasting the vegetables brings out a sweetness and nuttiness that enhances the flavor of the soup.
To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the butternut squash into cubes, and the cauliflower into florets. Toss the vegetables in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread them out on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender.
When the vegetables are finished roasting, transfer them to a large pot. Add in some garlic, vegetable broth, and herbs of your choice. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Next, puree the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Finally, add in cream, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
The combination of roasting the vegetables and adding the cream at the end results in a creamy, sweet, and savory soup that will tantalize your taste buds.
What are the health benefits of consuming butternut squash and cauliflower soup?
Yes! You heard it here first: Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup is not only delicious, but it also comes with amazing health benefits! Here’s what you should know:
- Butternut squash is a great source of vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber. It also contains antioxidants that can help protect against certain types of cancer.
- Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins C and K, folate, and fiber. It can also help reduce inflammation, which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Soup made with both butternut squash and cauliflower is a great way to get the benefits of both vegetables in one dish. Eating butternut squash and cauliflower soup can help to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
- Adding a few spices to your soup can help to enhance its flavor and provide additional health benefits. For example, adding turmeric can help to boost your immune system and fight inflammation.
- Eating butternut squash and cauliflower soup can help to keep you feeling fuller for longer, making it a great choice if you are trying to lose weight.
So, there you have it! Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup is not only delicious, but it’s also good for you! Start enjoying the great taste and health benefits of this soup today.
What other ingredients can be added to the soup to make it even more delicious?
Yes! Adding some extra ingredients to a butternut squash and cauliflower soup can make it even more delicious. Here are some great options to try:
- For a bit of heat, add some diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes.
- To give it a Mediterranean flavor, throw in some diced tomatoes and olives.
- For a touch of sweetness, add some diced sweet potato.
- For a bit of crunch, top it with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- To boost the nutrition, add some cooked quinoa or farro.
- To give the soup some smoky flavor, add a few slices of bacon.
- To add a touch of creaminess, stir in some plain Greek yogurt.
These are just a few ideas of ingredients you could add to make your butternut squash and cauliflower soup even more delicious.
How can leftovers of this soup be repurposed into other recipes?
There are so many delicious ways to repurpose the leftovers of this Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup! With just a few extra ingredients and a bit of imagination, you can transform this original dish into something completely new. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add some cooked chicken or shrimp to the soup and you’ve got a delicious and creamy base for a curry.
- Combine the soup with some cooked quinoa and some chopped vegetables, like broccoli or carrots, and you’ve got an amazing veggie-packed stir-fry.
- For a totally different flavor, mix the soup with a bit of cooked macaroni, some cooked ground beef and a bit of cheese, top with a few crushed crackers, and you’ve got an amazing mac ‘n cheese casserole.
- Add some cooked orzo and some diced cooked chicken, and you’ve got a creamy, flavorful soup that’s perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
These are just a few ways to repurpose the leftovers of this Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup.
What other dishes pair well with butternut squash and cauliflower soup?
If you’re looking for the perfect companions to your delicious Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup, you’ve come to the right place! The cozy, creamy flavors of this soup are the perfect backdrop for a number of tasty side dishes. Here are a few of our favorites:
For a light and flavorful side, a simple spinach salad with a light vinaigrette will really bring out the flavors of the soup. If you’re looking for something more substantial, a savory quinoa pilaf loaded with nuts and dried fruit is a great choice. Or for something more indulgent, why not try a cheesy garlic bread to pair with your soup?
Whichever side you choose, your Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup will be the star of the show.