Delicious Roasted Butternut Squash & Fennel Soup With Citrus
I’m always looking for exciting and unique recipes to add to my repertoire, and this Roasted Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup with Citrus is no exception! I was immediately drawn to this recipe when I saw it, and after making it the first time I was hooked! The combination of roasted butternut squash, fennel, and citrus is a delicious combination that is sure to please any palate. The soup is creamy and flavorful, and the addition of citrus brightens up the flavors and adds a hint of sweetness. This recipe is a must-try for anyone looking to add something special to their dinner table.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup with Citrus Recipe
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 2 large fennel bulbs, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Hey everyone! Let’s get started on this delicious roasted butternut squash and fennel soup with citrus! This should take us about 3 hours and 15 minutes if we take our time, so let’s get to it!
- First, peel and cut the butternut squash into cubes, then cut the fennel bulbs into cubes. Mince the garlic and set aside.
- Next, heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the cubed squash and fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the garlic and all the spices (ground cumin, nutmeg, cardamom, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt and pepper) and cook for another minute or two.
- Now, pour in the vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the squash and fennel are tender.
- When the soup is done, remove from the heat and stir in the orange juice and cream. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Garnish the soup with fresh parsley and serve warm. Enjoy!
- Calories: 257 calories
- Total Fat: 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 21 mg
- Sodium: 463 mg
- Potassium: 752 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.0 g
- Sugars: 9.0 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
What makes the combination of roasted butternut squash and fennel so special in this soup?
You may be asking yourself what makes this soup so special? Well, the combination of roasted butternut squash and fennel is unique and absolutely delicious! Roasting the two together brings out the sweetness of the squash and the anise flavor of the fennel. The citrus in the soup adds an extra layer of flavor and aroma, making it a truly enjoyable experience.
Butternut squash is a winter squash that is fairly low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals. It is a great source of dietary fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium. Roasting it brings out its sweetness and creates a slight caramelization that adds extra flavor. Fennel is a bulbous vegetable with a mild anise flavor. It is also low in calories and rich in dietary fiber, Vitamin C, potassium, and manganese.
The combination of roasted butternut squash and fennel in this soup gives it a unique flavor that is not easy to come by. The sweetness of the squash blends perfectly with the anise flavor of the fennel, creating a unique and delicious flavor. The addition of citrus to this combination really takes it over the top, adding an extra depth of flavor and aroma that makes for a truly enjoyable experience.
So, if you’re looking for a unique and flavorful soup, this roasted butternut squash and fennel soup with citrus is sure to please. The combination of ingredients is truly special, and the addition of citrus creates a flavor that is sure to tantalize the taste buds.
How does the addition of citrus enhance the flavor of the soup?
You may be wondering how adding citrus to a roasted butternut squash and fennel soup can elevate the flavor. Adding citrus to this soup is a simple yet effective way to enhance the flavor and add some brightness. Here are a few ways you can use citrus to take this soup to the next level:
- Squeeze fresh lemon, lime, or orange juice over the soup right before serving. The acidic citrus juice will add a tartness to the soup that will awaken your taste buds.
- Zest citrus fruits over the soup and garnish with slices of fresh fruit. This will add a nice pop of color and texture to the soup and also a hint of tartness.
- Infuse the soup with citrus oils such as lemon, lime, or orange. These oils are very potent and will add a bright touch without making the soup overly tart.
Adding citrus to this soup is an easy way to elevate the flavor and add some brightness.
What health benefits can you reap from eating this soup?
Eating this delicious Roasted Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup with Citrus can have a range of health benefits!
- Butternut squash is a great source of Vitamin A, which supports healthy eyesight. It also contains Vitamin C, which helps to boost your immune system.
- The fennel in the soup is loaded with fiber, which is beneficial for digestion. It also contains a variety of antioxidants that help to protect your cells from damage.
- Citrus is rich in Vitamin C and can help to reduce inflammation in the body. It’s also a great source of fiber, which helps to keep your digestive system functioning properly.
- This soup is also low in calories, so you can enjoy it guilt-free. It’s a great way to get your recommended daily intake of vegetables and vitamins without overindulging in calories.
What are some tips for making this soup even more flavorful?
If you’re looking to amp up the flavor of your Roasted Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup with Citrus, look no further! Here are some tips to make this dish even more delicious:
- Season with a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to bring out the flavor of the vegetables.
- Add a few tablespoons of red wine for a deeper flavor.
- Toast and grind some coriander and cumin seeds to give the soup a nutty, earthy flavor.
- For a hint of sweetness, add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup.
- Add a dollop of crème fraîche to give the soup a luxurious, creamy texture.
- Sprinkle a few toasted pine nuts on top of the soup for a crunchy texture.
- For an extra burst of flavor, add a few drops of citrus juice.
- Finally, top the soup with a few sprigs of fresh herbs like parsley, dill, or chives.
What other ingredients make this soup so delicious?
The roasted butternut squash and fennel soup with citrus is a total flavor-packed experience! Not only does it have the classic ingredients like squash, fennel, and citrus, but it also includes some other delicious ingredients that really make it stand out.
The first are onions and garlic, which help to bring out the flavor of the squash and fennel. The garlic gives it a nice subtle kick, while the onions add a depth of flavor that really elevates the soup.
Then there’s the addition of bay leaves and thyme. These herbs offer a nice earthy note that enhances the sweetness of the squash and fennel.
Finally, a splash of white wine and a bit of cream add a luxurious touch to the soup. The white wine adds a nice acidity that helps to cut through the richness of the cream and make the flavors even more complex.
All of these ingredients work together to create a delicious soup that’s sure to please.