I still remember the first time my grandparents served me homemade apple dumplings. The tantalizing aroma of cinnamon, butter and apples filled the kitchen, and I watched as the golden dough bubbled in the oven. I instantly knew that this recipe was something special, and I was not wrong! Apple dumplings have since become a favorite dessert in my family. Today, I will be sharing our treasured recipe with you. Enjoy!
Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 3 large apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into thick wedges. Place the wedges in a large bowl.
- Add the granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, and melted butter to the bowl and gently toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, ground nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the raisins, chopped walnuts, heavy cream, water, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix until a dough forms.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut it into 8 large circles.
- Place the apple wedges in the center of each circle and wrap the dough around the apples, forming a dumpling.
- Place the dumplings on a greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the dumplings are golden brown, remove them from the oven and let them cool for 35 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious apple dumplings!
- Calories: 270 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Sodium: 140 mg
- Sugar: 18 g
What is the history behind apple dumplings?
Apple Dumplings have a long and storied history! Thought to have originated in the 1700s during the American colonial period, Apple Dumplings were a popular dessert in the United States and across Europe.
The first recorded mention of an Apple Dumpling recipe dates back to 1796, found in a cookbook called The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy. This early recipe called for stewed apples to be wrapped in a pastry crust, then boiled in a syrup.
Since then, Apple Dumplings have become a popular dessert in many countries. For example, in Germany, Apple Dumplings are known as Apfelkliesl, and in the United Kingdom, they are known as Apple Puffs.
These days, there are many variations of Apple Dumplings. In the United States, it’s common to find recipes that call for the apples to be wrapped in a pastry crust, and then cooked in a syrup or sugar water. In Britain, Apple Puffs usually feature a pastry crust filled with a cinnamon-spiced apple mixture, and then deep-fried.
No matter how you make them, Apple Dumplings are a delicious treat that have been around for centuries.
What are the health benefits of eating apple dumplings?
Apple Dumplings are packed with nutrients that can benefit your health! Eating them can help you:
- Boost your immune system: Apples are high in Vitamin C, which helps to fight off viruses and other illnesses. The dough used in Apple Dumplings also contains B vitamins that can help boost your immune system.
- Protect your heart: Apples contain pectin, a type of fiber that can help lower cholesterol levels and protect your heart from disease.
- Improve digestion: The fiber found in apples can help keep your digestive system running smoothly. The dough used in Apple Dumplings is also high in fiber which can help with digestion.
- Reduce inflammation: Apples are high in antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation in your body. The dough in Apple Dumplings also contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Increase energy levels: The combination of carbohydrates, fiber, and protein found in Apple Dumplings will help keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
- Provide essential vitamins and minerals: Apples are a great source of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Potassium. The dough in Apple Dumplings also contains essential vitamins and minerals.
How can you make the best apple dumplings?
Making the best apple dumplings is easy! All you need is a few simple ingredients and a little bit of know-how. Here are some tips to help you make the perfect apple dumpling every time:
- Start with the freshest apples you can find. Tart apples work best for this recipe, and they should be free from bruises and blemishes.
- Peel, core and slice the apples, then combine them in a bowl with sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Roll out your dough and cut it into circles. Place a spoonful of the apple mixture into the center of each circle.
- Bring the edges of the dough together and pinch them together to form a dumpling. Place the dumplings on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the dumplings in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.
What special ingredients make apple dumplings unique?
Apple dumplings are unique because of their special ingredients! These beloved dumplings begin with a combination of tart apples, sweet sugar, and flavorful spices like cinnamon and nutmeg wrapped inside a pastry dough. This dough is usually made with butter, flour, and a touch of salt, providing a perfect balance of flavor and texture. To top it off, the dumplings are usually boiled in a sweet syrup of sugar and butter, giving them a delicious glaze! These simple yet flavorful ingredients make apple dumplings a classic favorite.
What unique ways can you serve apple dumplings?
If you’re looking for unique ways to serve apple dumplings, you’ve come to the right place! Apple dumplings are a delicious dessert that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, including traditional baking methods, baking in a skillet, and even deep-frying! Let’s explore some of the unique ways you can serve apple dumplings.
One unique way to serve apple dumplings is to bake them in a skillet. This method is easy and quick and yields amazing results! Simply prepare your apple dumpling mixture as you normally would, then transfer it to a skillet. Place the skillet in a preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown. Serve your skillet-baked apple dumplings with a dollop of ice cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce for an extra special treat!
Another unique way to serve apple dumplings is to deep-fry them. This method will give you a crisp, golden-brown exterior and a warm, soft interior that’s just bursting with flavor. To deep-fry your apple dumplings, simply prepare your mixture as usual and then drop spoonfuls of the mixture into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes until golden brown and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and powdered sugar.
Finally, you can also try baking your apple dumplings in a foil pouch. This method is great for when you’re camping or just don’t have access to an oven. First, prepare the apple dumplings as usual and then wrap them individually in foil pouches. Place the pouches on a hot grill or directly on hot coals and cook for about 10 minutes or until the apple dumplings are cooked through. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce and enjoy!
With these unique ways to serve apple dumplings, you’ll be sure to impress your family and friends! From skillet baking to deep-frying to foil pouch baking, there are endless possibilities to enjoy this delicious dessert.