I’m always looking for delicious vegan recipes, so when I tried these Vegan Potato Tacos for the first time, I was hooked! They are packed full of flavour and texture, with a mix of crunchy potatoes and creamy vegan sour cream. The tacos are easy to make, and they make a great meal or snack. Serve them with a side of your favourite salsa or guacamole, and you’ve got a tasty vegan dish that will fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied.
Vegan Potato Tacos Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 3 small soft taco shells
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Vegan Potato Tacos
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time (if needed): 15 minutes
- Additional Time (if needed): 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread the potatoes onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the remaining ingredients. Finely dice the onion and cook the black beans.
- Once the potatoes are done, heat the taco shells in the oven for 5 minutes or according to the package instructions.
- Assemble the tacos by dividing the potatoes, onions, black beans, vegan cheese, salsa, cilantro, and black olives among the taco shells.
- Serve the tacos warm and enjoy!
- Calories: 308 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 488 mg
- Potassium: 638 mg
- Fiber: 8 g
- Sugar: 3 g
- Vitamin A: 687 IU
- Vitamin C: 18 mg
- Calcium: 121 mg
- Iron: 3 mg
What ingredients are needed to make vegan potato tacos?
To make vegan potato tacos, you will need potatoes, vegan taco seasoning, vegan cheese, and taco shells.
Potatoes are the base of the tacos and provide a flavorful, filling meal. While any type of potato can be used, russet potatoes are the most common and offer a hearty, buttery taste. For vegan potato tacos, simply peel, wash, and dice the potatoes before boiling or baking them until soft.
The vegan taco seasoning is essential for giving the potatoes a spicy, Mexican-inspired flavor. Most store-bought taco seasoning blends will be vegan, but it’s always best to check the ingredients to make sure. Alternatively, you can make your own vegan taco seasoning using spices such as chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika.
To make the tacos even more delicious, top them off with vegan cheese. There are a wide variety of vegan cheese options available, such as shredded vegan cheddar, vegan mozzarella, and vegan cream cheese.
Finally, use crunchy vegan taco shells as the base for the tacos. These can be store-bought, or you can make your own at home. Simply mix cornmeal, vegetable oil, and vegan butter to form a dough, and then shape the dough into thin circles and fry in hot oil.
These four ingredients—potatoes, vegan taco seasoning, vegan cheese, and taco shells—are all you need to make delicious vegan potato tacos. With just a few simple steps, you’ll have a tasty meal that the whole family can enjoy.
What are the benefits of eating vegan tacos?
The Benefits of Eating Vegan Potato Tacos:
- A vegan diet has been linked to a number of health benefits including improved heart health and weight loss.
- Vegan potato tacos are an easy, delicious way to enjoy these health benefits without compromising on flavor.
- Vegan potato tacos are high in protein, fiber, and other important nutrients, yet low in saturated fat and calories.
- Plant-based foods are naturally cholesterol-free and may help reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Eating vegan potato tacos can help reduce your environmental impact, as animal-based foods require more resources to produce than plant-based foods.
- Eating vegan potato tacos can be a great way to introduce yourself to the world of vegan cuisine, as they are a familiar dish and easy to make.
What are some creative ways to use vegan potato tacos?
Vegan potato tacos are a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional tacos, and there are many creative ways to prepare and serve them. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Stuffed Potato Taco Boats: Stuff vegan potato tacos with your favorite fillings such as beans, vegetables, and vegan cheese. Top with fresh herbs and a dollop of vegan sour cream for a tasty and filling meal.
- Layered Potato Taco Salads: For a lighter, yet still delicious option, layer vegan potato tacos with black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and vegan cheese. Drizzle with vegan sour cream or a flavorful salsa for a Mexican-style salad.
- Baked Potato Taco Cups: Bake vegan potato tacos in muffin tins and fill with your favorite toppings. These bite-sized treats are perfect for a party or picnic.
- Potato Taco Wraps: For a quick meal on the go, wrap vegan potato tacos with your favorite fillings such as black beans, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and vegan cheese. Add your favorite condiments to taste.
By getting creative with vegan potato tacos, you can create delicious and nutritious meals that are sure to please even the pickiest eater. Whether you’re looking for a light snack or a filling meal, vegan potato tacos offer something for everyone.
How can vegan potato tacos be a part of a balanced meal?
Vegan potato tacos can easily be part of a balanced meal when prepared the right way. There are a few key elements that should be taken into consideration when making vegan potato tacos to ensure that the meal is nutritionally balanced.
First, it’s important to include a good mix of healthy carbohydrates and plant-based proteins. Aim to include ingredients like potatoes, beans, and plant-based proteins such as tempeh or tofu. Whole-grain tortillas can also be used to add fiber and other nutrients. For added flavor, incorporate herbs and spices, like cumin and garlic, as well as a variety of vegetables.
In addition to providing important nutrients, the right ingredients can also help make vegan potato tacos a satisfying meal. Incorporate healthy fats, like peanut butter, avocado, or nuts, as they are an important part of a balanced diet and provide a source of energy and satiation.
Finally, it’s important to choose a vegan-friendly salsa or sauce for topping. A homemade version with fresh ingredients is ideal, as it will provide more vitamins and minerals than a store-bought option.
By following these tips, vegan potato tacos can easily become a part of a balanced meal. With a variety of ingredients, the tacos can be packed with flavor and nutrition.
What is the best way to make vegan potato tacos?
The best way to make vegan potato tacos is to use a combination of potatoes, onions, garlic, and spices to create a flavorful filling, and top them with vegan cheese, salsa, and avocado. First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and dice the potatoes and onions and mince the garlic. Heat some oil in a skillet and add the potatoes, onions, and garlic. Season them with salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano, and cook until the potatoes are soft.
Next, prepare your tacos. Heat some oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potato mixture and cook until golden brown. Place a spoonful of the potato mixture onto a tortilla and top with vegan cheese, salsa, and avocado. Roll up the taco and place it on a baking sheet. Bake the tacos for 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
Finally, serve your vegan potato tacos with a dollop of vegan sour cream or your favorite condiment.