Having grown up in a meat-eating family, I never expected to be able to enjoy tacos without the addition of beef or chicken. But when I discovered this vegan taco recipe with mushrooms and tomatillos, my taste buds were in for a real treat! This delicious recipe has quickly become one of my favorite meals, and I’m excited to share it with you. Get ready to enjoy the bold flavors of mushrooms and tomatillos in a vegan taco you won’t soon forget!
Vegan Tacos with Mushrooms and Tomatillos Recipe
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatillos
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and chipotle pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, diced onion, and garlic and sauté until mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatillos and vegetable broth and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Place tortillas on a large baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and assemble tacos by dividing mushroom mixture among the tortillas.
- Top tacos with vegan sour cream, avocado, salsa and jalapeno.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Calories: 349 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Sodium: 511 mg
- Potassium: 539 mg
- Fiber: 6 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Vitamin A: 1244 IU
- Vitamin C: 24 mg
- Calcium: 70 mg
- Iron: 2 mg
What makes vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos unique?
Vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos are unique because they combine two meat-free ingredients to create a flavorful and hearty dish. The mushrooms provide a savory, umami flavor, while the tomatillos bring a slight acidity and sweetness to the tacos. Together, these ingredients create a delicious and satisfying taco that can be enjoyed by anyone – vegan or not! Additionally, the combination of mushrooms and tomatillos has several health benefits, as they are both rich in vitamins and minerals. This makes vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos a great option for a nutritious and delicious meal.
What health benefits come from eating vegan tacos?
Eating vegan tacos can provide a variety of health benefits, including:
- Improved digestion: Vegan tacos are made with nutritious, plant-based ingredients that are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This helps promote healthy digestion and keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
- Increased energy: The combination of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein found in vegan tacos can provide a slow release of energy throughout the day.
- Lower cholesterol: The plant-based ingredients in vegan tacos can help reduce cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
- Improved brain function: The healthy fats found in vegan tacos can help improve cognitive function, including mental clarity and focus.
- Reduced risk of disease: Eating vegan tacos can help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases, such as diabetes and heart disease.
What type of ingredients are used to make vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos?
The ingredients used to make vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos typically include mushrooms, tomatillos, garlic, onion, vegetable broth, olive oil, a variety of spices (such as cumin, chili powder, and oregano), and salt and pepper to taste. Tortillas are also needed to assemble the tacos. All of these ingredients can be easily found in most grocery stores.
Mushrooms provide a meaty texture and umami flavor to the tacos, while tomatillos add a tart, bright flavor. When combined with garlic, onion, and spices, they create a delicious and complex flavor profile. Olive oil is used to sauté the mushrooms and tomatillos, and vegetable broth is added to the pan to create a flavorful sauce. Lastly, the tacos are assembled with tortillas and garnished with any desired toppings, such as avocado, lettuce, and salsa.
Vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos are a simple yet flavorful dish that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. By using the ingredients listed above, you can create a delicious vegan meal that is sure to satisfy.
How can vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos be modified to accommodate dietary restrictions?
One way to modify vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos to accommodate dietary restrictions is to replace the mushrooms with a protein-rich vegan alternative. For instance, seitan, tofu, or tempeh can all be used as a substitute for mushrooms in vegan tacos. Additionally, for those who need to avoid gluten, beans or lentils can be used in place of the seitan or tempeh.
For those with food allergies, it is important to check the ingredients of the vegan ingredients being used to ensure that they do not contain any of the common allergens. Additionally, the taco shells can be replaced with corn tortillas, which are free of wheat and gluten.
For those who are looking to reduce their caloric intake, vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos can be modified by reducing the amount of oil used in the recipe and replacing it with a low-fat, plant-based alternative. Additionally, vegan cheese or sauces can be replaced with a low-calorie, vegan alternative to further reduce the calorie count.
Those looking to make their vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos even healthier can opt for a whole-grain taco shell, or add additional vegetables to the filling such as bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach. Additionally, adding avocado to the tacos will provide healthy fats and additional flavor.
In conclusion, vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos can be easily modified to accommodate a variety of dietary requirements, allergies, and lifestyle choices. By making simple substitutions and additions, these tacos can become a healthy and delicious meal for everyone to enjoy.
What creative ways can vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos be served?
When it comes to vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos, there are a variety of creative ways to serve them. From a simple taco salad to tacos served in a lettuce wrap, there are plenty of delicious and unique preparations you can try.
One creative way to serve vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos is to make a taco salad. To make a taco salad, start by heating up some vegan taco meat, mushrooms, and tomatillos in a pan. Once the mixture is warm, set it aside to cool before adding it to the top of a bed of greens, like romaine lettuce. Then, top the taco salad with your favorite vegan taco toppings, like avocado, corn, onions, and cilantro.
Another creative way to serve vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos is to make tacos served in a lettuce wrap. To make tacos served in a lettuce wrap, you’ll need to heat up the same ingredients you would use for a taco salad. Once the mixture is cooked, scoop it into lettuce or cabbage leaves and top with your favorite vegan taco toppings. You can also use pita bread or tortillas as a wrap for the tacos if you prefer.
Lastly, for a unique twist, you can make vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos in an air fryer. To make air fryer tacos, heat your air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the air fryer is heated, add the vegan taco meat, mushrooms, and tomatillos to the basket. Cook the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, before adding it to taco shells or lettuce wraps. Top with your favorite vegan taco toppings and enjoy.
These are just a few creative ways to serve vegan tacos with mushrooms and tomatillos. Whether you prefer a taco salad, a lettuce wrap, or air fryer tacos, there are plenty of delicious and unique preparations you can try.