I remember the first time I ever made Sweet and Sour Chicken – I was intimidated by the long list of ingredients and the multiple steps involved in the recipe. But once I had all of the ingredients prepped and ready to go, and I started cooking, it was surprisingly easy and more importantly, incredibly delicious! I’m excited to share this delicious Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe with you, so let’s get cooking!
Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Let’s get cooking!
- Start by preparing the ingredients. Dice the bell peppers and onion, and mince the pineapple. Set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, ketchup, honey, white vinegar, pineapple juice, garlic powder, ginger powder, cornstarch, and water.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced chicken breasts and cook until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced bell peppers, onion, and pineapple to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the chicken and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve the sweet and sour chicken over cooked rice and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 328
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Sodium: 1461mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 41g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 28g
- Protein: 17g
What makes sweet and sour chicken so special?
Sweet and Sour Chicken is a true classic. It’s a dish that has been around for generations, yet never fails to impress. The combination of sweet and sour flavors, along with the crunchy texture of the chicken make this dish truly special.
First, the sweet and sour sauce is the heart of the dish. This is a combination of vinegar, sugar, and other seasonings. The vinegar gives it a tangy flavor, while the sugar adds sweetness. This combination makes the dish irresistible.
Second, the chicken itself adds a lot of flavor. It is usually marinated in soy sauce and other spices, giving it a unique taste. The chicken also provides a crunchy texture when cooked in a pan or deep-fried.
Finally, the vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to the sweet and sour sauce and chicken. Bell pepper, onion, carrot, and pineapple are often included in the dish. These vegetables add an extra layer of flavor and texture, and help to balance out the sweetness of the sauce.
Overall, Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic dish that is both flavorful and fun to eat. The combination of sweet and sour flavors, crunchy chicken, and flavorful vegetables make this dish a real treat.
What are some tips for cooking sweet and sour chicken that will ensure maximum flavor?
Cooking the Perfect Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- Start with chicken that has been cut into cubes. If you are using chicken breast, be sure to cut it into small cubes so that it cooks evenly.
- Heat some oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken cubes and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and lightly browned.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sweet and sour sauce. Combine honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a bowl and mix.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the sweet and sour sauce to the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add some freshly chopped pineapple and bell peppers. Stir the ingredients together and let it cook for a few more minutes.
What are the key ingredients in a delicious sweet and sour chicken dish?
When it comes to making a delicious sweet and sour chicken dish, there are a few key ingredients that make it truly special. The perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors comes from a combination of pineapple juice, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, and vinegar. To give the dish its signature texture, it’s important to include some cornstarch and egg in the batter. Finally, it’s essential to cook up some juicy chicken pieces to add the hearty base needed to pull the whole dish together.
What side dishes pair best with sweet and sour chicken?
If you’re looking for the perfect side dish to pair with sweet and sour chicken, you’re in luck! There are plenty of delicious options that are sure to make your dinner an unforgettable feast.
A classic option is steamed white or brown rice. It’s simple but effective, and its neutral flavor pairs perfectly with the sweet and sour flavor of the chicken. If you want to add some extra flavor, try adding some soy sauce or sesame oil to the rice.
Another great option is a crunchy salad. You could go for something simple like a green salad with a vinaigrette dressing, or add some extra flavor with a fruity or nutty salad. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even try making a Chinese cabbage salad.
If you’re looking for something more substantial, fried eggplant or sweet potato fries are great choices. Both are flavorful, and they go well with the chicken. You could even try making a stir-fry with vegetables and sauces to really bring out the sweetness and sourness of the dish.
Finally, if you want to add an Asian twist to your meal, try making some wontons. They’re easy to make and are a great way to add some variety to your dinner. Just fill them with some savory pork, shrimp, or vegetables and serve them with a dipping sauce for a flavorful side dish.
No matter what side dish you choose, you can’t go wrong when you pair it with sweet and sour chicken.
How can you customize a sweet and sour chicken dish to suit your tastes?
You can customize a sweet and sour chicken dish to suit your tastes by playing around with the ingredients and seasoning. A few simple tweaks can make all the difference in elevating a classic dish to something truly special! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
For a sweeter version of the dish, you can add more sugar or use a sweeter variety of pineapple. For a sour spin, add some additional vinegar or lime juice. To give it a kick, add some fresh chilli peppers or red pepper flakes. You can also add some fresh ginger or garlic to give it a subtle but pleasing flavour.
You can also vary the vegetables—or add more of them—to make your sweet and sour chicken dish even more interesting. Bell peppers, onions, carrots, and mushrooms are all great additions. You can also experiment with different types of sauces—barbecue, teriyaki, or hoisin, for example—to create a unique dish.
Finally, don’t forget to season to taste. A little salt and pepper can help bring out all the flavours. You can also add some fresh herbs, such as parsley or cilantro, for a pop of colour and flavour.
No matter which ingredients you choose to use, the possibilities for customizing a sweet and sour chicken dish are endless. With a few simple tweaks, you can create a delicious and unique meal that’s sure to please.