I’m a huge fan of Mexican food, so when I discovered the delectable combination of steak and potato tacos, I was delighted! This dish is a dream come true, combining the hearty flavors of steak with the crunchy and flavorful potatoes. I love to make these tacos for a family gathering or a special occasion – they always get rave reviews! The best part is that the recipe is easy to prepare and the ingredients are readily available, making it a win-win!
Steak and Potato Tacos Recipe
- 3 (6-ounce) sirloin steaks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (6-inch) soft taco shells
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeño peppers, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced potatoes, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spread the potatoes onto a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, season the sirloin steaks with salt and pepper and heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping once, or until the steaks reach your desired doneness.
- Remove the steaks from the skillet and let them rest on a cutting board while you assemble the tacos.
- Heat the taco shells in the oven for 4-5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Layer the steak, potatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and jalapeño peppers (if desired) into each taco shell. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Calories: 537
- Total Fat: 27 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 81 mg
- Sodium: 527 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 39 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Sugars: 2 g
- Protein: 34 g
What types of steak are best for making steak and potato tacos?
When it comes to making steak and potato tacos, the best types of steak to use are flank, skirt, and sirloin steaks. These steaks have enough flavor and tenderness to stand up to the potatoes, and they provide the perfect amount of beefy flavor. Flank steak is especially good for tacos, as it’s thin and cooks quickly. Skirt steak is also a great option, as it has a lot of flavor and is relatively inexpensive. Sirloin is a great way to add a little more tenderness to the tacos, as its higher fat content will keep the tacos juicy and flavorful.
What type of potatoes are best for making steak and potato tacos?
For making steak and potato tacos, the best type of potatoes are waxy potatoes such as red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or new potatoes. These types of potatoes hold their shape after cooking, making them ideal for steak and potato tacos.
When selecting potatoes for steak and potato tacos, look for potatoes that are similar in size. This will help ensure that they cook evenly and that all of the tacos have the same texture. Additionally, it is important to use potatoes that are free of blemishes, as these can affect the taste and texture of the tacos.
When cooking the potatoes for steak and potato tacos, it is important to choose a cooking method that will lock in the flavor and keep the potatoes from becoming mushy. Boiling or steaming are ideal methods for cooking potatoes for steak and potato tacos. Boiling or steaming will help keep the potatoes intact and prevent them from becoming soggy.
Once the potatoes are cooked, they can be diced and added to the steak and potato tacos. To give the tacos a bit of added flavor, the potatoes can be seasoned with a variety of spices such as garlic powder, paprika, and cumin. Additionally, the potatoes can be lightly sautéed in a skillet with a bit of oil or butter to give them a crispy texture and delicious flavor.
Ultimately, the best type of potatoes for making steak and potato tacos are waxy potatoes such as red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or new potatoes. When selecting potatoes, look for potatoes that are similar in size and free of blemishes. Additionally, it is important to choose a cooking method that will lock in the flavor and keep the potatoes from becoming mushy. Finally, the potatoes can be seasoned with a variety of spices and lightly sautéed in a skillet with a bit of oil or butter to give the tacos a delicious flavor and texture.
How to prepare the steak for steak and potato tacos?
Begin by trimming off any fat and gristle from the steak.
- Slice the steak into thin strips, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
- Once the oil is hot, add the steak strips and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak strips for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the steak is browned.
- Remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes and add them to the same skillet.
- Cook the potatoes for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the steak strips back to the skillet with the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the steak is cooked through.
- Serve the steak and potato mixture in warm taco shells, topped with your favorite toppings.
How to prepare the potatoes for steak and potato tacos?
Start by washing and scrubbing the potatoes. Make sure to remove any dirt or debris from the surface of the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and then add the potatoes in a single layer.
- Cook the potatoes for 4-5 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and set aside.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, assemble the tacos with steak, potatoes, and any other desired toppings.
What are some toppings to add to steak and potato tacos?
When it comes to steak and potato tacos, there are a variety of toppings you can use to create a delicious and unique meal. Some popular toppings include cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, diced tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, red onions, and cilantro. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try adding some other vegetables such as sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, and corn. For a flavor boost, don’t forget to sprinkle some hot sauce on top. With these toppings, you can create a delicious steak and potato taco that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
What are some side dishes to serve with steak and potato tacos?
When it comes to steak and potato tacos, the possibilities for side dishes are nearly endless. Whether you’re looking for something light and refreshing or a hearty accompaniment that will make your meal complete, there are plenty of options. Here are some delicious side dishes to serve with steak and potato tacos:
- Refried beans: Refried beans provide a savory and creamy addition to steak and potato tacos. Serve warm refried beans as a side dish, or you can use them as a topping for your tacos.
- Spanish rice: Spanish rice is a flavorful and tasty side dish that pairs perfectly with steak and potato tacos. Serve it warm or at room temperature, depending on the weather.
- Grilled vegetables: Grilled vegetables are a great way to add a fresh, healthy side dish to your meal. Try grilling bell peppers, squash, zucchini, and mushrooms for a colorful and tasty accompaniment.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is a classic side dish that goes well with steak and potato tacos. It adds a creamy, savory flavor to the meal and is sure to please everyone.
- Salad: Salads are a great way to add some fresh flavors to your meal. A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing is the perfect accompaniment to steak and potato tacos.
No matter what sides you choose to serve with your steak and potato tacos, they’re sure to be a hit! With these delicious side dishes, everyone at your table will be happy and satisfied.