I remember the first time I tried Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole. I was at a friend’s house for dinner and she served it. The aromas of garlic, herbs, and tomatoes filled the air, and when I tasted it, I was in culinary heaven! The combination of juicy chicken and sweet bell peppers, combined with the delicious Mediterranean spices was truly delectable. I knew right away that I had to get the recipe and make it for myself. Now, I make this Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole all the time, and it never fails to impress. So, if you’re looking for a delicious, easy-to-make meal, this is the one!
Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole Recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Add the Italian seasoning, onion, bell peppers, garlic, and diced tomatoes, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the chopped parsley and feta cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 187
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 22g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Fiber: 2g
What are some key ingredients in a mediterranean chicken and pepper casserole?
Some key ingredients in a Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole include diced chicken, bell peppers, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, olives, oregano, basil, white wine, and feta cheese.
This Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole is a delicious, easy-to-make dish packed with flavor. The combination of chicken, peppers, tomatoes, and herbs creates a unique flavor profile that is both savory and slightly sweet. The bell peppers add a subtle sweetness and the white wine adds a depth of flavor. The olives and feta cheese give the dish salty and creamy notes. The oregano and basil provide a fragrant herbal aroma that complements the other ingredients.
To make this dish, start by sautéing the diced chicken in a large pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Once the chicken is cooked through, add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, and diced tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes, stirring to combine all of the ingredients. Add the white wine and let it simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the olives, oregano, basil, and feta cheese. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish and bake for about 20 minutes, until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
What are the benefits of eating mediterranean cuisine?
Eating Mediterranean cuisine offers a number of health benefits.
- Mediterranean cuisine is known for its flavorful and delicious dishes that are full of fresh vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats. A diet rich in these foods can help lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, and improve cholesterol levels.
- Eating Mediterranean cuisine also provides a variety of vitamins and minerals. Foods such as olives, nuts, fish, and whole grains are packed with nutrients that the body needs to maintain good health.
- Mediterranean cuisine is also high in healthy fats, which can help to keep you feeling full for longer periods of time and reduce cravings for unhealthy snack foods.
- Eating Mediterranean food can also promote a healthy lifestyle. A diet that is rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats can help to reduce inflammation in the body, which can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Finally, eating Mediterranean cuisine can be beneficial for people with diabetes. A diet rich in fiber and healthy fats can help to regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
What are the benefits of adding peppers to a casserole dish?
Peppers add flavor and texture to a casserole dish. Their sweet, smoky, and spicy flavors can bring out the best in the other ingredients.
- Peppers are a good source of vitamins and minerals. For instance, bell peppers are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and fiber.
- Peppers can add a certain level of spiciness, depending on the type chosen. This can add a unique flavor profile to the dish and make it more interesting.
- Peppers also add color and visual appeal to the dish. This makes it more attractive and inviting to eat.
- Peppers are low in calories and fat, so they make a great addition to a healthy casserole.
What are some tips for making a mediterranean chicken and pepper casserole?
Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Cut up the vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, and onions into cubes.
- Heat a large pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and add the vegetables. Saute until they are tender.
- Place the sautéed vegetables into the baking dish and season with salt, pepper, and herbs such as oregano, basil, and thyme.
- In the same pan, heat another tablespoon of olive oil and add the chicken. Cook the chicken until it is golden brown.
- Add the cooked chicken to the baking dish and mix it in with the vegetables.
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, garlic, and any additional herbs or spices. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables.
- Bake the casserole for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve the casserole with a side of rice or a fresh salad.
What makes a casserole dish a healthier option for dinner?
Casserole dishes can be a healthier dinner option than processed convenience foods, as they are typically packed with vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains. A Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole is a healthy dinner choice because it contains fresh ingredients, is full of flavor, and can be prepared in advance.
The dish contains a variety of fresh vegetables, including bell peppers, onions and garlic, which are high in nutrition and low in calories. The lean proteins in the casserole come from the chicken, which is a good source of protein and provides essential vitamins and minerals. The dish is also made with a whole grain like couscous or quinoa, which is a healthier alternative to white pasta or white rice.
Another benefit of making a casserole is that it can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to cook. This makes it a great option for busy weeknights when there is not much time to prepare a meal. In addition, casseroles are usually easy to make and only require a few simple steps.
Finally, casserole dishes tend to be full of flavor, thanks to the fresh ingredients and herbs like rosemary, oregano and thyme. This means that you don’t have to add a lot of sodium or other processed ingredients to make the dish taste good.
Overall, Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole is a healthy dinner option because it contains fresh vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains, can be prepared ahead of time, and is full of flavor.
How can this casserole be adapted to different dietary needs?
The Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole is a great dish that can easily be adapted to meet different dietary needs. To make the recipe vegetarian, simply omit the chicken and substitute with more vegetables such as mushrooms, eggplant, and zucchini. For those wishing to make the dish vegan, use vegan cheese and substitute the chicken with a vegan meat alternative such as vegan chicken strips. To make the dish gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs. For a lower-calorie version, use a low-calorie cheese and reduce the amount of oil used in the recipe. With these easy adaptations, this delicious casserole can be enjoyed by everyone.
How can this mediterranean chicken and pepper casserole be served for a special occasion?
This Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole can be served for a special occasion by pairing it with a variety of accompaniments. For a festive meal, serve this flavorful casserole with a creamy garlic mashed potato side dish, a tossed green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing, and a crisp white wine. For a lighter meal, serve the casserole with a side of roasted vegetables, a fresh fruit salad, and a sweet white dessert wine.
To make the meal even more special, add a few special touches. Consider adding a layer of toasted pine nuts to the top of the casserole before baking, or sprinkling some freshly chopped herbs over the top for an extra burst of flavor. You can also serve the casserole with a selection of freshly-baked breads and spreads, such as hummus, tapenade, or pesto. For a final flourish, garnish the casserole with some edible flowers or colorful chopped vegetables.
This Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole is sure to be a hit at any special occasion. With a few extra touches, it can be transformed from an everyday meal into a memorable feast.