Delicious Blueberry Crisp – An Easy To Make Dessert Recipe
There’s nothing like the smell of a freshly baked blueberry crisp wafting through the air. I’m always so excited to pull this classic dessert out of the oven, and the best part is that it’s surprisingly easy to make. Over the years, I’ve perfected my own blueberry crisp recipe, and I want to share it with you today.
Blueberry Crisp Recipe
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Gently stir the mixture until it’s evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, cut the butter into cubes and add the rolled oats. Use a fork or your fingers to incorporate the butter into the oats until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer the blueberry mixture into an oven-safe dish, and then top it off with the oat mixture.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the blueberries are bubbling.
- Let the crisp cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 329
- Total Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 20.3mg
- Sodium: 58.3mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 56.9g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.2g
- Sugar: 28.1g
- Protein: 5.2g
What makes this blueberry crisp stand out from other desserts?
You’ve got to try this blueberry crisp! It stands out from other desserts for a few reasons. First, it’s packed with all the flavor of juicy, sweet summer blueberries. The combination of buttery, crunchy topping and fresh blueberries is unbeatable. Plus, it’s super easy to make. All you have to do is mix the topping ingredients, spread the blueberries on the bottom of a baking dish, pour the topping over and bake. That’s it! And you’ll have a delicious and satisfying dessert for the whole family to enjoy.
What tips do you have for creating the perfect blueberry crisp every time?
Start with the freshest and best-quality blueberries you can find. Frozen blueberries work too, but you’ll get a richer flavor if you use fresh.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Make the topping first: Combine ½ cup rolled oats, ½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ cup of brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add in ½ cup of melted butter and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place the blueberries in a greased 8”x8” baking dish and sprinkle the topping over them. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden and the juices are bubbling.
- Let the crisp cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
What’s the best way to prepare the blueberry filling for this dish?
The best way to make the blueberry filling for your blueberry crisp is to combine fresh or frozen blueberries with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt. This mixture will thicken up and make the perfect sweet and tart filling for your delicious dessert.
First, put your blueberries (fresh or frozen) into a bowl. Add the sugar, and stir until the blueberries are well coated. Next, add the cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt to the bowl and mix everything together until everything is well combined. Finally, transfer the blueberry filling to the baking dish and top with your crumb topping.
Baking the blueberry crisp is easy and the result is always delicious. The combination of the sweet and tart blueberry filling with the crunchy crumb topping is irresistible.
What type of topping makes the perfect crunch for the blueberry crisp?
The perfect crunch for your blueberry crisp comes from a buttery, crumbly, sugar-based topping. This topping is made from a combination of flour, sugar, butter, and some spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger. Mix all of the ingredients together until it forms a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of your freshly-made blueberry crisp, and bake according to the recipe’s instructions. Once it is finished baking, you will have a perfectly crunchy and delicious topping for your blueberry crisp.
Buttery, crumbly toppings are a classic way to finish off a blueberry crisp, but you can also experiment with other ingredients to create a different texture. Try adding oats or nuts to the topping to create a crunchy, nutty flavor. Or, you can mix the topping with melted butter and spread it over the top of your crisp for a rich, buttery flavor.
No matter what topping you choose, your blueberry crisp will be a sweet and crunchy dessert that will have everyone coming back for more. So go ahead and experiment with different toppings until you find the perfect crunch for your blueberry crisp.
What type of sweetener should you use for the blueberry filling?
When it comes to sweetening the blueberry filling for your Blueberry Crisp, you have a few options! The best choice is to use an organic cane sugar, like demerara or turbinado. These types of sugars have more flavor than traditional white sugar, and they also provide a slight crunchiness to the filling. You can also use evaporated cane juice, which is a bit sweeter than sugar and has a honey-like flavor. Finally, honey can be a great sweetener for the blueberry filling, as it also adds a great depth of flavor.
No matter which type of sweetener you use, it’s important to remember to adjust the amount of sugar you add based on the sweetness of the blueberries you are using. Sweet blueberries will require less sugar than tart ones! When in doubt, start small and taste as you go. A little bit goes a long way, so you don’t want to overdo it.
By using the right type of sweetener, you can create the perfect blueberry filling for your Blueberry Crisp.
What is the best way to bake the blueberry crisp for the perfect texture?
When it comes to baking the best blueberry crisp, the key is to strike the perfect balance of crunchy, buttery topping and a thick, gooey filling. Here are the steps to ensure you get the perfect texture every time:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Start by mixing together the crisp topping ingredients – flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the blueberry filling ingredients – blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish with butter, then spread the blueberry filling evenly into the dish.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping over the blueberry filling. The topping should be thick enough to form a solid layer on top of the filling.
- Bake the crisp for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the blueberry filling is bubbling.
- Let the crisp cool for 10 minutes before serving.
What other fruits can you use to create a unique twist on the classic blueberry crisp?
You can create a unique twist on the classic blueberry crisp by experimenting with other fruits! If you’re looking for big, bright flavor, try adding tart cherries or rhubarb. For a more subtle flavor, you can mix in diced apples or pears. You can also mix in some strawberries or blackberries for a burst of sweetness. The possibilities are endless!
No matter what combination of fruits you choose, the end result will be a delicious and unique blueberry crisp. You can also experiment with different spices or nuts to create a unique flavor profile. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger work wonderfully with any combination of fruits. Chopped walnuts or almonds provide a nice crunchy contrast to the soft, fruity filling.
Creating a unique twist on the classic blueberry crisp is a great way to make an ordinary dessert extraordinary.