As someone who loves to explore different flavors and ingredients, I was excited to try this Turkey Mole Poblano recipe. I had never tried mole before, so I was eager to see how the flavors melded together. The combination of the smoky, earthy mole and the sweet, mild poblano peppers sounded like a winning combination. I was not disappointed! The end result was a savory, complex dish that was both comforting and delicious.
Turkey Mole Poblano Recipe
You would need an additional 15 to prepare the Turkey Mole Poblano recipe. mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and cloves to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, raisins, peanut butter, and sliced almonds. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, shredded cooked turkey, diced green chiles, and cilantro. Stir to combine and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy your Turkey Mole Poblano!
- Calories: 263 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18.1g
- Protein: 20.1g
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Sodium: 884mg
- Potassium: 546mg
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sugar: 10.7g
What is the origin of turkey mole poblano?
Turkey Mole Poblano is a traditional Mexican dish believed to have originated in the 16th century in the region of Puebla. It is made from a combination of chili peppers, cocoa, and other ingredients, and is traditionally served over turkey.
The origin of Turkey Mole Poblano is not entirely clear, but it is believed to be a combination of both the Aztec and Spanish cultures. The Aztecs had a long history of using chili peppers and cocoa in their cooking, while the Spanish had their own culinary influences, including the use of nuts, spices, and dried fruits in their dishes. When the two cultures combined, they developed the dish that is now known as Turkey Mole Poblano.
The ingredients used in Turkey Mole Poblano vary depending on the region and the family who is making it. The traditional ingredients include chili peppers, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, cocoa powder, sesame seeds, and nuts. Depending on the region and family, other ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, garlic, and other spices may be added.
In Mexico, Turkey Mole Poblano is traditionally served over turkey, but it can also be served over chicken, beef, or pork. It is often served with rice, beans, and tortillas, and is a favorite dish for many families.
Turkey Mole Poblano is a delicious and unique dish that has its roots in both Aztec and Spanish cultures. It is a flavorful combination of chili peppers, cocoa, and other ingredients that has been enjoyed for centuries and is still popular today.
What are the health benefits of eating turkey mole poblano?
Turkey Mole Poblano is a traditional Mexican dish that is both flavorful and nutritious. It is made with turkey, a variety of vegetables, and a special sauce made from chili peppers, spices, and other ingredients. Eating turkey mole poblano can provide a number of health benefits, including:
- High in Protein: Turkey is a lean, low-fat source of protein that can help build and maintain muscle mass. The dish itself is also high in protein due to the addition of other ingredients like beans, nuts, and seeds.
- Low in Calories: Turkey mole poblano is a low-calorie meal option, making it a great choice for those trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Loaded with Vitamins and Minerals: This dish is packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and E, as well as potassium, iron, and magnesium.
- Rich in Antioxidants: The key ingredients in turkey mole poblano, like chili peppers, tomatoes, and garlic, are all rich sources of antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and protect against disease.
- High in Fiber: Turkey mole poblano is high in fiber, which can help promote regular digestion and improve overall gut health.
How does turkey mole poblano compare to other types of mexican dishes?
Turkey Mole Poblano is an authentic Mexican dish that stands apart from other Mexican dishes for a few reasons.
- The dish is unique in its complexity of flavors, which are both sweet and spicy. This combination of flavors is unusual in Mexican cuisine and makes this dish stand out.
- Turkey Mole Poblano also has a unique texture due to the combination of the turkey, mole sauce, and poblano peppers. This gives the dish a unique and robust flavor that is sure to please.
- This dish is typically served with white rice and refried beans, which adds to the complexity of flavors and textures.
- Another thing that makes Turkey Mole Poblano stand out from other Mexican dishes is its bright and vibrant colors. The combination of the red mole sauce, green poblano peppers, and white rice makes for an aesthetically pleasing dish.
Overall, Turkey Mole Poblano is a unique and flavorful Mexican dish that stands out from other Mexican dishes in its range of flavors, textures, and colors.
What are the different spices and herbs used in turkey mole poblano?
Turkey Mole Poblano is a Mexican dish that is rich in flavor and combines a wide range of spices and herbs. The main ingredients used include garlic, onion, chili peppers, cumin, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and tomatoes. Other herbs and spices that are sometimes used to give the dish an extra kick include oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and even a bit of sugar. All of these ingredients come together to create a complex and delicious flavor that is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
What are some interesting ways of serving turkey mole poblano?
One interesting way to serve turkey mole poblano is in tacos. To make tacos with turkey mole poblano, start by shredding the cooked turkey and adding it to a saucepan with the mole poblano sauce. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, spoon the mixture into warm tortillas, top with diced avocado and onion, and serve.
Another interesting way to serve turkey mole poblano is as a burrito bowl. For this, mix cooked turkey with the mole poblano sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes. Then, layer the mixture with cooked brown rice, diced tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado in a bowl. Top with a dollop of sour cream, and serve.
You can also serve turkey mole poblano as an enchilada casserole. Start by spreading a layer of cooked turkey with mole poblano sauce in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Cover the turkey with a layer of enchilada sauce and a layer of shredded cheese. Roll the mixture up into corn tortillas, and place them in the baking dish. Top with more enchilada sauce and cheese, and bake for 30 minutes.
Turkey mole poblano is also delicious when served as a quesadilla. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Place two flour tortillas in the pan and sprinkle the center of each one with cooked turkey and mole poblano. Top with shredded cheese and fold the tortillas in half. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden brown. Slice into wedges and serve.