I remember the first time I tried Tortilla Soup. I was visiting my grandmother in Mexico and the smell of the simmering broth was too inviting to pass up. The blend of the traditional Mexican spices and the smoky flavor of the crispy tortillas was unforgettable. I knew I had to learn to make it myself, and now I’d like to share my recipe with you.
Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a medium-sized pot and heat 3 cups of vegetable broth over medium heat.
- Add the 3 corn tortillas to the pot, breaking them into small pieces as you add them.
- Add the cooked black beans, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut the avocado into small pieces and set aside.
- Place the shredded cheese onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes, or until it begins to turn golden brown.
- Once the soup has finished cooking, add the freshly chopped cilantro and stir.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top each with the avocado, cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve the Tortilla Soup and enjoy!
- Calories: 315
- Total Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg
- Sodium: 522 mg
- Carbohydrates: 46.5 g
- Fiber: 11.7 g
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Protein: 12.2 g
What is the origin of tortilla soup?
Tortilla soup is thought to have originated in Mexico, where it is believed to have been served as part of local cuisine for centuries. It is a hearty soup that features traditional Mexican flavors, such as onions, garlic, chili peppers, and tomatoes. The dish usually includes tortilla strips or chips for added texture and flavor. Tortilla soup is often served with various garnishes, such as diced avocado, cilantro, and cheese, making it a popular choice for those looking for a flavorful meal.
What health benefits does tortilla soup offer?
Tortilla Soup offers a number of health benefits that make it a great addition to any diet.
- It is a low calorie, low fat meal that can be made with wholesome ingredients like vegetables and lean proteins.
- Tortilla Soup is high in fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied, aiding in weight management.
- The vegetables and proteins in Tortilla Soup provide a healthy boost of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium.
- The broth in Tortilla Soup helps to hydrate the body, which is important for overall health.
- Tortilla Soup can be a great way to get a variety of nutrients in one meal.
What types of ingredients are typically used in tortilla soup?
Tortilla soup typically uses ingredients like cooked chicken, tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili peppers, cilantro, and corn. These ingredients are combined with broth, such as chicken broth or vegetable broth, and then finished off with tortilla strips for a crunchy topping. There are many variations of tortilla soup, so some recipes also include ingredients like black beans, avocado, lime juice, and sour cream.
How can tortilla soup be customized?
Tortilla soup is a flavorful and versatile dish that can be easily customized to suit any taste. To make the most out of this delicious soup, there are a few simple steps you can take to add a unique twist.
One of the most popular ways to customize tortilla soup is to add different types of meat. Grilled chicken, beef, pork, or even shrimp can all make a delicious addition. For a vegetarian option, try adding black beans, lentils, or other legumes. Other vegetables, such as bell peppers, onions, and squash, can also be added to create a heartier meal.
You can also add a variety of spices to create a unique flavor. Cumin, chili powder, and oregano are all great options for adding a bit of heat and depth of flavor. If you prefer a milder soup, try adding basil, thyme, or garlic powder. The possibilities are endless when it comes to spicing up your soup.
Another way to customize your tortilla soup is to add a different type of broth. Instead of using chicken broth, try using vegetable broth or beef broth for a richer flavor. If you’re vegan, you can even make your own vegan-friendly broth using vegetable stock and seasonings.
Finally, top your soup off with a variety of toppings. Fresh cilantro, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, and crumbled queso fresco are all great options. You can also add a dollop of sour cream or a drizzle of hot sauce for an extra kick.
With these simple steps, you can easily customize your tortilla soup to create a unique and delicious meal. Whether you’re looking for a vegetarian option or a spicy twist, you can easily create a dish that will please everyone.
What are some creative garnishes for tortilla soup?
Adding creative garnishes to tortilla soup is a great way to elevate the dish and add a bit of fun. Here are some creative garnishes that will take your tortilla soup to the next level:
- Fresh Lime Wedges – Adding a fresh lime wedge to your soup can give it a bright, tangy flavor that will balance out the heavier flavors in the soup.
- Sliced Avocado – A few slices of avocado can lend a creamy texture and a unique flavor to tortilla soup.
- Cilantro – Cilantro adds a fresh and herby flavor to tortilla soup, making it a perfect garnish.
- Jalapeno Slices – Adding a few slices of jalapeno to your soup will give it a bit of heat.
- Radishes – Radishes add a crunchy texture to your soup and give it a slightly spicy flavor.
- Crispy Tortilla Strips – Add some crunch to your soup by topping it with crispy tortilla strips.
- Queso Fresco – Queso fresco adds a salty, creamy flavor to your soup and gives it a bit of flair.
- Sour Cream – A dollop of sour cream works great with tortilla soup, adding a cool and creamy flavor.
By adding any of these garnishes to your tortilla soup, you can take the flavor to the next level.
What dishes pair well with tortilla soup?
Tortilla soup is a delicious and satisfying meal that pairs well with a variety of dishes. To complement the soup’s signature flavors, try serving it with an array of Mexican-inspired sides, such as warm and crunchy tortilla chips, creamy guacamole, spicy salsa, and fresh cilantro.
For those looking to add a protein to the meal, try grilling some juicy chicken, steak, or shrimp and serving it with the soup. To round out the meal, add a side of savory Mexican rice or refried beans. If you’re looking for a light side, try a simple salad of crisp lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.
For a sweet finishing touch, whip up a batch of churros or Mexican wedding cookies. Alternatively, you can top the soup with a sprinkle of cinnamon, sugar, and a dollop of creamy ice cream for a unique, yet delicious dessert.