Delicious Lemon Pastry Cream Recipe
I’ve been making this Lemon Pastry Cream recipe for years and it never fails to impress. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart, creamy and light. Every time I make it, it’s a huge hit with my friends and family. It’s incredibly easy to make, and I know you’ll love it just as much as I do. So why not give it a try?
Lemon Pastry Cream Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Let’s make the Lemon Pastry Cream! First, grab 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 1/2 cups whole milk, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour and salt until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the milk into a medium saucepan and heat it until it just begins to simmer. Then add the egg mixture to the pan and whisk it continuously for about 20 minutes, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon zest, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Pour the pastry cream into a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the surface of the cream. This will prevent a skin from forming.
- Allow the pastry cream to cool for 10 minutes, then place it in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 302
- Total Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 47.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.3g
- Sugars: 35.2g
- Protein: 7.8g
What is lemon pastry cream and why should you make it?
Lemon pastry cream is a classic French dessert that is sweet, creamy and deliciously lemony! It’s a versatile treat that can be used in a variety of desserts, from cakes to tarts and more. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be whipped up in no time. So why should you make it?
Because it’s incredibly delicious! The combination of creamy custard and zesty lemon is a delightful taste sensation that your family and friends are sure to love. And, if you’re looking for an impressive yet easy dessert to make, lemon pastry cream is the perfect option.
Plus, the possibilities are endless when it comes to using it. You can use it as a filling in cakes, tarts and other pastries or as a topping for ice cream. You can also use it to make lemon mousse, custard tarts and so much more.
So, if you’re looking for a classic French dessert that’s easy to make and versatile to use, then you should definitely make lemon pastry cream.
What ingredients do you need to make lemon pastry cream?
If you’re looking to make some delicious lemon pastry cream, you’re in luck! The ingredients list is quite small and easy to find. You’ll need: 3 egg yolks, 1/4 cup of white sugar, 1/4 cup of cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 and 1/2 cups of whole milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
Once you have all these ingredients, you’re ready to get cooking! The first step is to whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. In a separate pot, heat the milk over medium heat until it starts to bubble around the edges. Once it’s at the right temperature, slowly whisk the hot milk into the bowl with the egg mixture.
Next, pour the entire mixture back into the pot and cook it over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Once the pastry cream has thickened, remove it from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon juice and zest. Finally, pour the pastry cream into a bowl and let it cool before using.
And that’s all there is to it! With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a delicious lemon pastry cream that’s perfect for topping pies and other desserts.
What are some tips or tricks to get it just right?
When making lemon pastry cream, the key is getting the right balance of sweetness and tartness! Start by adding less lemon juice than you think you need – you can always add more if it needs it, but it’s hard to take it away.
- The next step is to add the sugar gradually. Taste the pastry cream as you add it, to make sure it’s not too sweet or too tart.
- Don’t forget to temper the eggs – this is essential for a smooth, creamy pastry cream.
- When you’re ready to cook the pastry cream, use a double boiler and cook on low heat. Keep stirring constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Once the pastry cream is cooked, it needs to cool before you can use it. You can put it in the fridge or even in the freezer to speed up the process.
- Finally, once the pastry cream is cooled, you can adjust the flavor with more sugar or lemon juice, if needed.
How can you use lemon pastry cream in other desserts?
You can use lemon pastry cream in a variety of delicious ways! This creamy, tart, and sweet custard is the perfect addition to everything from cakes and tarts to pies and cupcakes. Its versatility makes it easy to incorporate into your favorite desserts. Here are a few ideas for how you can use it:
- On top of a delicious lemon meringue pie. The combination of a tangy lemon filling and sweet meringue topping is a delicious classic.
- As a filling for your favorite cake. Layer your lemon pastry cream between two layers of fluffy cake and top with a light buttercream frosting.
- As a filling for tart shells. Add a layer of lemon pastry cream to the bottom of tart shells and top with a few pieces of fresh fruit for a delicious and elegant dessert.
- As a filling for cupcakes. Use a piping bag to fill cupcakes with lemon pastry cream and top with a swirl of whipped cream for a light and airy sweet treat.
- As a topping for an ice cream sundae. Layer ice cream, lemon pastry cream, and fresh fruit for a delicious combination of flavors and textures.
So go ahead and get creative with lemon pastry cream! With its endless possibilities, it’s sure to be a hit with all your friends and family.
What are the different ways to serve lemon pastry cream?
You can serve lemon pastry cream in so many exciting ways! It’s a delicious and versatile treat that can be used in cakes, tarts, pies, and more. Here are some of the best ways to serve up this sweet and zesty treat:
- As a Cake Filling: Lemon pastry cream is a great way to add flavor and moisture to a classic layer cake. Just spread a generous layer of this creamy custard between your cake layers and enjoy!
- In a Tart or Pie: This creamy custard is also a great filling for tarts and pies. Just pour it into your favorite pre-baked pastry shell, top with fresh fruit or whipped cream, and enjoy the perfect combination of sweet and tart flavors.
- With Fruit: Lemon pastry cream is a great way to dress up a fruit salad or tart. The combination of sweet and tart flavors is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
- In a Trifle: Trifles are a classic dessert that often feature layers of cake, custard, and whipped cream. For a special twist, substitute the classic custard for a flavorful lemon pastry cream.
- As a Dipping Sauce: Lemon pastry cream is a great way to add a bit of sweetness to a savory dish. Try it as a dipping sauce for fried foods or use it as a topping for roasted vegetables.
No matter how you serve it, lemon pastry cream is sure to please.