I grew up eating Swedish Chocolate Balls—a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth treat that has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember. These decadent treats are incredibly simple to make and the end result is always worth it. With just a few ingredients and a few steps, you can create a batch of these delicious chocolate balls that are sure to be a hit with your friends and family. Let’s get started!
Swedish Chocolate Balls Recipe
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, plus extra for rolling balls in
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- Start by gathering all of your ingredients. You will need 1 ½ cups of chopped dark chocolate, ½ cup of heavy cream, 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons of almond meal, 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, ¼ cup of icing sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut (plus some extra for rolling the balls in) and 2 tablespoons of crushed walnuts.
- Put the chopped dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until just beginning to boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir well until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the butter, almond meal, cocoa powder, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool and harden.
- Once cooled and hardened, use your hands to roll the mixture into 1 inch balls.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the shredded coconut and crushed walnuts.
- Roll each ball in the coconut and walnut mixture until fully coated.
- Serve your delicious Swedish Chocolate Balls and enjoy!
- Calories: 195
- Total Fat: 13.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Sodium: 56mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 17.3g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.3g
- Sugars: 10.5g
- Protein: 3.5g
What is the history of swedish chocolate balls?
Swedish Chocolate Balls have a long and delicious history! Their popularity can be traced all the way back to the 19th century when they were first created in the town of Vasteras in Sweden. The original creator was a man named Carl Sevelius, who was a master chocolatier. He created these delicious treats using a combination of chocolate, cream, and crushed almonds.
Since then, Swedish Chocolate Balls have become a staple in Swedish desserts and candy. Over the years, the recipe has changed slightly, but the core ingredients remain the same. The original recipe called for dark chocolate, cream, and almonds, but some variations include white chocolate, hazelnuts, or even coconut.
Today, Swedish Chocolate Balls are still a popular treat in Sweden. They are often found in bakeries and candy stores and are a popular addition to traditional Swedish desserts. The popularity of these treats has spread to other parts of the world, where they are enjoyed by people of all ages.
How do you make swedish chocolate balls?
Making Swedish chocolate balls is easy and fun! Here’s how you can do it at home:
- Start by melting 250g of dark chocolate in a double boiler.
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, add 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the chocolate mixture and add it to the cocoa powder mixture.
- Mix the ingredients together until a thick paste forms.
- Roll the paste into small balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the balls for at least an hour until they are hard.
- Dip the balls in the remaining melted chocolate and place back onto the baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for another hour.
What makes swedish chocolate balls unique?
Swedish chocolate balls are unique because they are unlike any other chocolate treat! They are made with a blend of cocoa, butter and sugar, with a hint of vanilla added for flavor. But the real difference is that unlike other chocolates, Swedish chocolate balls are rolled into small balls and then covered with a crunchy layer of chopped nuts. This nutty coating makes them crunchy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside, creating a unique combination of textures that is truly delicious.
What are the key ingredients for swedish chocolate balls?
Swedish Chocolate Balls are a classic Swedish dessert made with a few simple ingredients. The most important ingredients you’ll need are butter, cocoa powder, icing sugar, ground almonds, and a beaten egg. To make them, you’ll first melt the butter and combine it with the cocoa powder and icing sugar. Then add the ground almonds and egg and stir until everything is mixed together. Then, form the mixture into small balls, roll them in a little extra icing sugar, and pop them in the fridge to cool.
How can you add a unique twist to swedish chocolate balls?
If you’re looking to add a unique twist to Swedish chocolate balls, you’ve come to the right place! There are all sorts of ways to add a twist to this classic treat, from adding a variety of different spices or ingredients to the chocolate mixture to topping the balls with something unexpected. For example, you could add a pinch of ground cardamom, a hint of chili, a sprinkle of sea salt, or a dash of instant coffee to the chocolate mixture to give it a unique flavor. You could also top the balls with something like colorful crushed candy canes, mini chocolate chips, or even bacon bits for a fun and unexpected twist.
What are the best ways to enjoy swedish chocolate balls?
Enjoying Swedish chocolate balls is all about indulging in the unique taste and texture of each one. Here are the best ways to really savor them:
- Take your time. Don’t just gobble up the chocolate balls in one bite. Instead, take a moment to appreciate their flavor and texture. Start by gently biting into one, then let it sit on your tongue for a few seconds to savor the sweet, creamy taste.
- Pair it with coffee. A cup of Swedish coffee is the perfect accompaniment to a Swedish chocolate ball. The contrast between the strong coffee and sweet chocolate is a classic combination that’s sure to make for an even more enjoyable experience.
- Dip them in ice cream. Dipping Swedish chocolate balls in your favorite ice cream is a great way to bring out the flavor and texture of the chocolate. For an extra special treat, try dipping them in a scoop of Swedish vanilla ice cream.
- Share them with friends. Swedish chocolate balls are best enjoyed when shared with friends and family. Have a chocolate ball tasting party and let everyone try different kinds of Swedish chocolate balls.