I’ve been making this Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole for years, and it never gets old! It’s one of my absolute favorite recipes and it always gets rave reviews at potlucks and family gatherings. Loaded with juicy chicken, sweet corn, and creamy squash, this casserole is bursting with flavor. With a crunchy cornbread topping, it’s a comforting, crowd-pleasing dish that’s sure to become a family favorite. So let’s get cooking!
Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared cornbread mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- ) In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, chicken cubes, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- ) Add the cooked black beans, yellow squash and frozen corn. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- ) In a medium bowl, combine the oregano, thyme and basil. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- ) Transfer the chicken and vegetable mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the cheese and herb mixture over top.
- ) In a separate bowl, combine the cornbread mix, milk and egg until a batter forms. Spread the batter over the chicken and vegetables.
- ) Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is cooked through. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 446
- Total Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Sodium: 542mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 49.4g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.2g
- Sugars: 4.2g
- Protein: 22.3g
What is the nutritional value of southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole?
Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole is a nutritious meal, packed with vitamins and minerals. It contains a variety of ingredients, providing a balanced combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. The casserole is also a good source of fiber, calcium, iron, and zinc.
This dish is made with chicken, yellow squash, cornbread, and other ingredients, providing a nutrient-rich meal. Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, supplying essential amino acids to help with muscle growth and repair. Yellow squash is a good source of vitamins A, C, K, and B6, as well as dietary fiber and manganese.
Cornbread provides carbohydrates to fuel the body, as well as a small amount of protein. It also contains iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. The other ingredients in the casserole, such as salsa, tomatoes, and peppers, are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Overall, Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole is a nutritious and balanced meal. It is a good source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making it a healthy and satisfying dish.
How does southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole compare to other casseroles?
Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole is an exceptionally flavorful and unique dish that stands out from other casseroles.
- This casserole is packed with a variety of Southwestern flavors, such as chili powder, cumin, garlic, and bell pepper, as well as protein-rich chicken, squash, and cornbread.
- It is a great way to incorporate healthier ingredients, such as lean chicken, squash, and whole-grain cornbread, while still satisfying your taste buds.
- Compared to other casseroles, this dish is fairly easy to make and requires little prep time. It can be prepared in one dish, which makes it a great choice for busy weeknights.
- This casserole is also a great option for anyone who is looking for a flavorful and filling meal that is also relatively healthy.
What are the key flavors of southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole?
The key flavors of Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole are smoky, savory, and spicy. This comforting casserole is a delicious combination of smoked paprika, chili powder, and cumin, combined with sweet corn, squash, chicken, and cheese.
The smoky flavor of this casserole comes from the smoked paprika. This spice adds a subtle smokiness to the dish that complements the other flavors perfectly.
The savory flavor is a combination of chili powder and cumin. Chili powder adds a mild heat plus a depth of flavor that enhances the other ingredients. Cumin adds a distinctive earthy flavor to the dish.
The spicy flavor of the casserole comes from the combination of chili powder and cumin. The mild heat of the chili powder and the earthy flavor of the cumin make for a delicious combination that adds a kick to the casserole.
The sweetness of the dish comes from the corn and squash. The sweetness of the corn and squash balance out the smokiness and spiciness of the paprika and cumin.
Overall, the key flavors of Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole are smoky, savory, and spicy. The combination of flavors make for a delicious and comforting dish that is sure to please.
What type of dish is southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole?
Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole is a hearty dish that combines classic southwestern flavors into a one-dish meal.
This simple casserole is made with chicken, yellow squash, corn, black beans, and a layer of cornbread topping. The result is a comforting and flavorful meal that is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
The southwestern flavors come from a combination of spices, including cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder. These spices are used to season the chicken, which is then layered with the squash and black beans before being topped with the cornbread layer. The cornbread topping adds a nice crunch and a sweet flavor that complements the savory ingredients.
This dish is easy to prepare and requires minimal prep time. All ingredients are combined in the casserole dish and baked until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is tender. The result is a delicious meal that can be enjoyed as a main dish, or as part of a larger meal.
Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that can please the entire family. It combines the flavors of traditional southwestern cuisine with the comfort of a classic casserole for a delicious meal that is sure to be a hit.
What are some creative ways to serve southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole?
Serving up a southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole can be a creative and flavorful way to enjoy a classic comfort food. Here are some suggestions for how to present this dish in an exciting way:
- Make Mini Southwest Casseroles: Using a muffin tin, create individual portions of the casserole. This presentation is great for a potluck or buffet-style meal.
- Stuff Southwest Casserole into a Bell Pepper: Hollow out a bell pepper and fill it with the casserole. This is a great presentation for a family dinner or a backyard cookout.
- Top a Salad with Southwest Casserole: Simmer the casserole in a skillet, then spoon it over a bed of greens for an interesting twist on a salad.
- Use Southwest Casserole as a Pizza Topping: Spread the casserole over a store-bought or homemade pizza crust. This is a great way to turn a typical pizza night into something special.
- Turn Southwest Casserole into a Quesadilla: Put the casserole between two flour tortillas and cook it in a skillet. This is a great way to enjoy the flavors of the casserole in a handheld form.
These creative ways to serve southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole will help you make the most of this comforting dish.
What ingredients are essential for southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole?
To make a classic southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole, you need chicken, squash, cornbread mix, diced green chiles, cheese, butter, eggs, milk, and seasonings.
The chicken should be cooked and diced before preparing the casserole. You can use either cooked chicken breasts or leftover rotisserie chicken. The squash needs to be cooked as well, and you can choose your favorite variety, such as yellow squash or zucchini.
For the cornbread, you will need a package of cornbread mix, eggs, butter, and milk. The mix can be prepared according to the package directions.
To give the casserole a southwestern flavor, you need to add diced green chiles and cheese. You can use either cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. Finally, you’ll need to season the casserole with salt and pepper, as well as other seasonings like garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
Once all the ingredients are ready, you can assemble the casserole. Start by spraying a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the cooked chicken and squash on the bottom. Top with the prepared cornbread mix. Sprinkle the diced green chiles and cheese on top. Finally, dot the top with butter and season to taste. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is set.
What are the steps to preparing southwestern chicken, squash, and cornbread casserole?
Preparing a Southwestern Chicken, Squash, and Cornbread Casserole is a simple process that involves four basic steps: preparing the ingredients, assembling the casserole, baking, and serving.
The first step in preparing this casserole is to prepare the ingredients. For this recipe, you will need 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 2 cups of cooked squash, 1 cup of shredded Mexican-style cheese, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 packet of taco seasoning, 1 cup of salsa, and 1 prepared cornbread mix.
Once the ingredients are prepared, the next step is to assemble the casserole. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 11×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the dish and top with the squash. Spread the cream of chicken soup over the top, followed by the taco seasoning, salsa, and cheese. Finally, prepare the cornbread mix according to the package instructions and spread it over the top of the casserole.
The third step is to bake the casserole. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. The casserole is done when the cheese is melted and the cornbread is golden brown.
The final step is to serve the casserole. Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.