I’ve been making these delicious Roasted Butternut Squash and Soy Chorizo Enchiladas for years and they always get rave reviews. The combination of roasted butternut squash, spicy soy chorizo, and flavorful enchilada sauce is a winning flavor combination. Not only are these enchiladas incredibly tasty, but they are also very easy to make and can be on the table in under an hour. So if you’re looking for a tasty and fuss-free dinner, these enchiladas are the perfect choice!
Roasted Butternut Squash and Soy Chorizo Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (7-ounce) package soy chorizo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream and diced avocados, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Place the chopped butternut squash in a bowl, then add the olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together until the squash is evenly coated.
- Transfer the squash to a baking sheet, then roast for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until golden and tender.
- While the squash is roasting, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the soy chorizo, garlic, and taco seasoning, then cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, then bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the enchilada sauce in a separate saucepan over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla on a plate, then spread a few spoonfuls of the soy chorizo mixture onto the tortilla. Top with some of the roasted butternut squash, then sprinkle on some of the shredded cheese.
- Roll the tortilla up and place it in a greased baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, then pour the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the enchiladas warm, topped with cilantro, sour cream, and diced avocado (if desired). Enjoy!
- Calories: 660
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Protein: 20g
- Sodium: 830mg
- Sugar: 12g
What makes roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas a delicious and healthy meal?
Roasted Butternut Squash and Soy Chorizo Enchiladas are a delicious and healthy meal because of the combination of nutritious ingredients and flavorful spices. This dish packs in plenty of protein, vitamins, and minerals from the protein-rich soy chorizo, butternut squash, and black beans, and the spices offer a deep and complex flavor profile. The roasted butternut squash adds sweetness, while the spices add a hint of smokiness and heat. Additionally, the corn tortillas used to wrap the enchiladas provide a good source of complex carbohydrates.
What are the health benefits of eating roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas?
The health benefits of eating roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas are numerous. Here are some of the main benefits:
- Rich in Nutrients: Roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas are nutrient-dense, containing essential vitamins and minerals such as zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron, and calcium. They are also high in dietary fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Butternut squash and soy chorizo are both high in antioxidants, which can help protect the body from free radical damage and reduce inflammation.
- Heart Healthy: The combination of butternut squash and soy chorizo is a great source of healthy fats. These fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Low in Calories: Roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas are low in calories, making them a great option for those looking to lose weight.
- Boosts Energy Levels: Butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas are a great source of complex carbohydrates, which can help boost energy levels and keep you feeling full for longer.
What are some tips and tricks for making roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas?
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit to begin the roasting process.
- Cut the butternut squash into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
- While the squash is roasting, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the soy chorizo. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the chorizo is cooked through and lightly browned.
- Prepare the enchilada sauce according to package instructions.
- Assemble the enchiladas by spooning a small amount of the cooked soy chorizo onto each tortilla. Top with a few pieces of roasted butternut squash, sprinkle with cheese and roll up.
- Place the assembled enchiladas in a lightly greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Pour the prepared enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through.
How can you make roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas quickly and easily?
Making roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas is a quick and easy process. All you need is a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time!
The first step is to gather your ingredients. You will need butternut squash, soy chorizo, enchilada sauce, tortillas, shredded cheese, and any additional toppings you would like, such as cilantro, sour cream, or diced tomatoes.
Next, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the butternut squash into cubes and spread them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender and lightly browned.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the soy chorizo. Cook until it’s lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
When the squash is finished roasting, assemble the enchiladas. Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of an 8×8 inch baking dish. Place a tortilla on a plate, top with a few tablespoons of soy chorizo, roasted squash, and shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla up and place it in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling ingredients.
Top the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are hot and bubbly.
Once out of the oven, top with your favorite enchilada toppings and enjoy! Roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas are a delicious and easy meal that can be ready in just 30 minutes.
How can you customize roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas to suit your dietary needs?
When it comes to customizing roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas to suit your dietary needs, the options are limitless. Depending on your dietary requirements, you can easily make a few simple modifications to the original recipe to make it healthier, more flavorful, or more vegan and vegetarian friendly.
To make the roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas healthier, you can use low-fat cheese and replace the chorizo with leaner meats, such as ground turkey or chicken, or use a vegetarian alternative like tofu. You can also reduce the amount of oil used in the recipe, or substitute it with vegetable or olive oil.
If you’re looking to add more flavor to the dish, you can use a variety of herbs and spices to season the vegetables and meat. Some popular flavoring options include cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and chili powder. You can also add a bit of heat to the enchiladas by using jalapeños or other hot peppers.
Vegetarians and vegans can also enjoy this dish by making a few substitutions. Instead of the chorizo, you can use chopped mushrooms or vegan “meat” crumbles, such as Beyond Meat or Impossible. For the cheese, you can use vegan cheese or opt for a dairy-free alternative, such as nutritional yeast or vegan cream cheese.
No matter what your dietary needs are, you can easily customize roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas to make a delicious, nutritious meal. With a few simple modifications and substitutions, you can easily make the dish to fit your dietary needs.
What ingredients are needed to make roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas?
To make roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo enchiladas, you will need the following ingredients:
- cups cubed butternut squash
- tablespoons olive oil
- teaspoon ground cumin
- /4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- /4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- small tortillas
- /2 cup cooked and crumbled soy chorizo
- /2 cup shredded cheese
- /2 cup salsa
- /4 cup sour cream
To begin, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cubed butternut squash on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and spread the squash evenly on the baking sheet. Roast the squash for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until tender and lightly golden brown.
Once the squash is roasted, assemble the enchiladas by filling each tortilla with roasted squash, soy chorizo, cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Roll up each tortilla and place in a greased baking dish. Top with additional salsa and cheese, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
What other dishes can be made with roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo?
Roasted Butternut Squash and Soy Chorizo are a flavorful and savory combination, making them a great addition to a variety of dishes. There are many possibilities to explore with this combination, such as soups, salads, tacos, quesadillas, burrito bowls, and much more. Here are some ideas for what other dishes you can make with roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo.
Soups: Butternut squash and soy chorizo go great in soups, such as a creamy butternut squash and soy chorizo soup or a spicy chorizo and butternut squash chili. Both are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Salads: Roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo can also be used to create interesting salads. Try adding some roasted butternut squash cubes, soy chorizo, and a few other ingredients to a bed of greens for a hearty and flavorful salad.
Tacos: Tacos are another great way to enjoy roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo. You can stuff tacos with a mix of roasted butternut squash cubes and crumbled soy chorizo and top them with lettuce, tomatoes, and your favorite taco sauce.
Quesadillas: For a quick and easy meal, try adding roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo to your quesadillas. This combination of flavors makes for an irresistible quesadilla that is sure to be a hit with everyone.
Burrito Bowls: Burrito bowls are a great way to enjoy roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo. Top your bowl with a mix of roasted butternut squash cubes and crumbled soy chorizo and add your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.
These are just a few ideas for what other dishes you can make with roasted butternut squash and soy chorizo. With a little creativity and imagination, you can come up with many more delicious dishes featuring this flavorful combination.