I’m always looking for an easy weeknight meal that everyone in the family can enjoy, and Baked Chicken Taquitos have become one of our favorites! These delicious taquitos are filled with tender chicken, melted cheese, and a perfectly-seasoned blend of spices, all wrapped in a lightly-crisped flour tortilla. The best part is that they take just minutes to prepare and only a few minutes in the oven to bake, making them a perfect choice for busy nights. I guarantee these taquitos will be a hit in your house too!
Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 soft flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the seasoning mixture onto the chicken breasts and place them in a baking dish.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before shredding.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the shredded chicken. Sauté the chicken for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken, Mexican cheese blend, sour cream, diced red onion, freshly chopped cilantro, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture onto the center of a soft flour tortilla, roll it up, and place it in a baking dish.
- Repeat this process with the remaining ingredients until all of the filling is used.
- Bake the taquitos in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Serve the taquitos topped with sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
- Calories: 548
- Fat: 27 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Sodium: 898 mg
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fiber: 5 g
What is a taquito?
A taquito, also sometimes referred to as a rolled taco, is a Mexican dish consisting of a small rolled-up tortilla that is filled with various ingredients and then fried or baked. Taquitos are often filled with a combination of shredded chicken, cheese, and spices. Baked chicken taquitos are a popular version of this dish, as they are lighter and healthier than their fried counterparts.
Baked chicken taquitos are a delicious snack or meal, often served with a side of salsa, guacamole, or sour cream. To make these taquitos, chicken is typically seasoned with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder and then cooked until it is tender and easily shredded. This shredded chicken is then combined with a variety of other ingredients, such as black beans, corn, onions, and cheese, before being rolled up into a tortilla and baked in the oven.
These taquitos are a great way to enjoy a Mexican-inspired dish without all the added fat and calories of traditional fried taquitos. The combination of tender chicken, flavorful spices, and melted cheese make for a delicious, satisfying meal or snack. Plus, these taquitos are easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer for later use.
In short, a taquito is a Mexican dish consisting of a small rolled-up tortilla filled with various ingredients and then fried or baked. Baked chicken taquitos are a delicious, healthier version of this dish, made with seasoned and shredded chicken combined with other ingredients, such as black beans, corn, and cheese, before being rolled up and baked in the oven.
What is the best type of chicken to use for taquitos?
When it comes to making delicious baked chicken taquitos, chicken breast is the best option. Chicken breast is a lean white meat that is high in protein and low in fat, making it an ideal choice for a healthy meal. Additionally, the firm texture of chicken breast holds up well during baking, ensuring that your taquitos stay intact and don’t fall apart.
If you’d prefer to use dark meat, chicken thighs are a good option. Chicken thighs are slightly fattier than chicken breast and have a richer, more intense flavor. They also tend to be more moist and tender than chicken breast, making them ideal for dishes that require a longer cooking time. However, they may not hold their shape as well as chicken breast during baking and tend to be more difficult to shred.
If you’re looking for a way to add more flavor to your taquitos, you can try using ground chicken. Ground chicken is a leaner option than traditional ground beef and has a milder flavor. It’s also easy to mix with other ingredients, such as spices, herbs, and cheese, to create a flavorful filling for your taquitos. However, since it is more delicate than shredded chicken, it may not hold its shape as well during baking.
No matter which type of chicken you choose to use for your taquitos, the key is to make sure that it is cooked thoroughly before filling and baking your taquitos. This will ensure that your taquitos are juicy and flavorful and don’t contain any harmful bacteria.
In conclusion, when it comes to making baked chicken taquitos, chicken breast is the best option. However, you can also use chicken thighs or ground chicken for a more flavorful dish. Just make sure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly before filling and baking your taquitos.
What are the benefits of baking taquitos rather than frying them?
Baking taquitos rather than frying them offers numerous benefits.
Below are just a few of these advantages:
- Baked taquitos are a healthier alternative, as they are lower in fat and calories than their fried counterparts.
- Baked taquitos are also easier to make, as they require minimal preparation and no deep-frying.
- Baked taquitos also tend to stay crisper and retain their shape better than fried taquitos.
- Baking taquitos also reduces the amount of mess that is created during preparation, as there is no need to heat oil or clean a deep-fryer.
- Finally, baking taquitos can be more cost-effective than frying them, as the ingredients for baking taquitos are typically less expensive than those for frying.
What tips and tricks can be used to ensure perfect chicken taquitos every time?
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread a thin layer of oil on the baking sheet.
- Place chicken, onion, garlic, and seasonings in a food processor and blend them until they are completely combined.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and cook the chicken mixture in the skillet for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Take a flour tortilla, spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center, roll into a cylinder shape, and place it on the baking sheet.
- Place the rolled taquitos in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the taquitos over and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
What other ingredients are essential for making delicious chicken taquitos?
When making baked chicken taquitos, there are several additional ingredients that are essential for maximum flavor and texture. These ingredients, which can be used in any combination based on personal preference, include refried beans, diced red onion, chunky salsa, shredded cheese, and shredded lettuce.
Refried beans, which can be purchased canned, provide a creamy and slightly salty flavor to the taquitos, as well as a wonderful texture. Adding diced red onion adds a nice crunch to the dish, as well as a hint of sweetness. Chunky salsa adds a spicy kick and a bright, fresh flavor. Shredded cheese gives the taquitos an extra cheesy flavor, and shredded lettuce adds a nice crunch and lightness to the dish.
By combining these additional ingredients with the chicken, the taquitos can be taken from good to great. For an added touch of flavor, consider topping the taquitos with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
How long does it take to bake chicken taquitos?
Baked chicken taquitos take about 18-20 minutes to cook until they are golden brown and crispy.
To make sure your chicken taquitos are cooked properly, it’s important to preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, place your taquitos on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake the taquitos for 18-20 minutes until they’re golden brown and crispy, flipping them once halfway through cooking.
For best results, let the taquitos rest for a few minutes before serving. This will ensure they stay nice and crispy. If your taquitos are looking a bit pale, you can pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes.
When baking chicken taquitos, it’s important to keep an eye on them as they cook. If they’re in the oven for too long, they can become overly dry and brittle. It’s better to take them out a few minutes early if you’re not sure rather than leaving them in too long.
Overall, baked chicken taquitos take about 18-20 minutes to cook until they’re golden brown and crispy. With a few simple steps and a watchful eye, you’ll have delicious and crispy taquitos ready to serve in no time.
What are some creative ways to serve homemade baked chicken taquitos?
Serving homemade baked chicken taquitos can be a great way to add some variety to family meals. There are plenty of creative ways to serve this delicious dish that are sure to be crowd pleasers. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Try using different types of cheese. A combination of cheddar, feta, and mozzarella can give your taquitos a unique flavor. You can also use shredded cheese blends to give the taquitos a different taste.
- Give your taquitos an extra crunch by adding some crushed tortilla chips to the filling. This will give the taquitos a nice texture and flavor.
- Add some vegetables to the filling. Chopped onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos can give your taquitos a burst of flavor.
- Use different types of sauces. Serving your taquitos with different types of sauces, such as salsa, guacamole, or sour cream, can make them even tastier.
- Try adding some spices to the filling. Spices such as cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder can give your taquitos an extra kick.
These are just a few creative ways to serve homemade baked chicken taquitos. With a little experimentation and imagination, you can come up with even more delicious options.