I’ll never forget the first time I made this Spinach Salad with Apple, Honey-Roasted Walnuts, and Blackberry Vinaigrette. It was a chilly fall evening, and I wanted to make something special for my family. After scouring through my recipe books and taking a few notes from my mom, I finally settled on this recipe. Little did I know that it would become one of our family’s favorite salads! The combination of the crunchy walnuts and sweet blackberry vinaigrette was absolutely heavenly, and I’m sure you’ll love it too!
Spinach Salad with Apple, Honey-Roasted Walnuts, and Blackberry Vinaigrette
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup honey-roasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup blackberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Start by gathering all of your ingredients for your Spinach Salad with Apple, Honey-Roasted Walnuts, and Blackberry Vinaigrette. You will need 10 ounces of baby spinach, 1 cored and diced apple, 1/2 cup of honey-roasted walnuts, 1/3 cup of blackberry preserves, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons of honey, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Begin by washing your spinach and transferring it to a large bowl.
- Add in your diced apple and honey-roasted walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your blackberry preserves, red wine vinegar, honey, black pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil until well combined.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over your spinach salad and toss to coat.
- Serve your Spinach Salad with Apple, Honey-Roasted Walnuts, and Blackberry Vinaigrette and enjoy! It’s ready in about 15 minutes and tastes delicious!
- Calories: 233
- Fat: 14.3g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Sodium: 31.2mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sugar: 11.3g
How can you make your spinach salad stand out with the addition of apples, honey-roasted walnuts, and blackberry vinaigrette?
Adding apples, honey-roasted walnuts, and blackberry vinaigrette to your spinach salad is a surefire way to make it stand out! Apples and walnuts are a classic combination that adds a subtle sweetness and crunch to your salad. The blackberry vinaigrette is a delicious addition that adds sweetness and a hint of acidity. This combination of flavors will take your spinach salad to the next level.
For the apples, try using a tart, crisp variety such as Granny Smith – this will provide a nice contrast to the sweetness of the honey-roasted walnuts. To make the honey-roasted walnuts, simply combine walnuts with a bit of honey, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt and bake until golden brown and fragrant.
To finish your salad, make a quick and easy blackberry vinaigrette by blending together some blackberry preserves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and a pinch of salt. This sweet and tangy dressing will add the perfect finishing touch to your salad.
What types of apples work best in a spinach salad?
When it comes to adding apples to a spinach salad, you really can’t go wrong! The combination of sweet and tart flavors work together perfectly. That said, some apples work better than others. For the best results, opt for a crisp and juicy apple such as a Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, or Braeburn. These varieties will provide a great crunch to the salad and contrast nicely with the sweetness of the honey-roasted walnuts and the tartness of the blackberry vinaigrette. Plus, they’ll pair nicely with the earthiness of the spinach leaves.
What are the health benefits of eating a spinach salad?
The health benefits of eating a spinach salad are plentiful! Here are just a few of the reasons why you should consider adding this delicious, nutritious dish to your meal plan:
- High in Vitamins: Spinach is an excellent source of vitamins A and K, as well as essential minerals like iron and magnesium. Vitamin A is important for eye health and helps promote healthy skin. Vitamin K is necessary for proper blood clotting. Iron is essential for oxygen transportation throughout the body, and magnesium helps maintain normal blood pressure.
- Low in Calories: Spinach is incredibly low in calories, yet high in fiber and protein. That means you can enjoy a large portion without feeling guilty. Plus, the fiber and protein will help you stay full and satisfied.
- Packed with Antioxidants: Spinach is filled with antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin, which can help protect your body from disease and premature aging.
- Boosts Immune System: Spinach is rich in vitamin C, which helps strengthen your immune system and can help fight off infections.
Adding spinach to a salad is a great way to get all of these amazing benefits. Plus, when you add in the apple, honey-roasted walnuts, and blackberry vinaigrette, you’ll get even more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
What tips can you follow to make sure your spinach salad is flavorful and healthy?
Toast the walnuts: Toasting walnuts brings out their naturally sweet flavor and gives the salad a great crunch. Place the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Pick the right variety of spinach: Not all spinach is the same! Look for baby spinach or baby arugula for a milder flavor that won’t overpower the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Add a few sweet elements: Apples, honey-roasted walnuts, and blackberry vinaigrette all add sweetness to the salad, helping to balance out the flavors.
- Use a generous amount of dressing: Make sure to dress the salad generously – but not too generously. You want to have enough dressing to coat the spinach leaves, but not so much that it drowns out the other flavors.
- Add a sprinkle of cheese: A sprinkle of Parmesan or feta cheese adds a pinch of saltiness that really brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Keep it simple: You don’t need to add too many ingredients – just a few key elements like apples, walnuts, blackberries, and vinaigrette.
What are the benefits of making your own blackberry vinaigrette?
Making your own blackberry vinaigrette is a great way to elevate your salad game! Here are some of the benefits of making your own dressing:
- Personalized Tastes: Making your own dressing allows you to customize it to your taste. You can add more of your favorite ingredients to make the dressing exactly how you like it.
- Healthy: Making your own vinaigrette gives you the opportunity to use healthy, natural ingredients. You can use olive oil instead of vegetable oil or honey instead of sugar.
- Cost-Effective: Making your own vinaigrette is much more cost-effective than buying a bottle of dressing from the store. You can use whatever ingredients you have on hand, so you don’t have to buy any special ingredients.
- Quick and Easy: Making your own vinaigrette takes just a few minutes and it’s easy to make! All you need is a blender or food processor and some basic ingredients.
- Fun: Making your own vinaigrette is a great way to get creative in the kitchen and have some fun! You can experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create something truly unique.
How can you choose the perfect walnuts for your spinach salad?
Choosing the perfect walnuts for your spinach salad is easy! The key is to look for walnuts that are fresh, plump, and not overly soft. To ensure freshness, buy walnuts that are in their shells, as this will help keep them from becoming rancid. If you’re able to inspect the walnuts before purchasing, look for ones that are not cracked, as this could indicate a lack of freshness. Also, avoid walnuts that are too dry, as they will lack flavor. Honey-roasted walnuts are a great way to add a touch of sweetness and crunch to your salad. They can be found in most grocery stores, making them a convenient option. When it comes to choosing the perfect walnuts for your spinach salad, freshness, plumpness, and slightly sweet honey-roasted walnuts are key.