These German Spice Cookies are a traditional holiday cookie that is bursting with flavor! Made with a mix of spices like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, these cookies will have your taste buds dancing. And they’re not just for the holidays – these cookies can be enjoyed year-round!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups ground walnuts or almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each: paprika, freshly ground black pepper, ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground coriander seed
- 1/8 teaspoon anise seed (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups butter or shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
1. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, ground walnuts or almonds, baking powder and spices. Set this mixture aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter or shortening with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg until fully combined.
3. Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is mixed together well. Then cover the bowl and chill it for 8 hours or overnight in the fridge.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness using a rolling pin . Cut out rounds with 2-inch round cookie cutter . Place cookies about 1-1/2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet .
5. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown around edges . Cool completely on wire racks .
6.. Melt chocolate over low heat and drizzle melted chocolate over cooled cookies using either a spoon or piping bag fitted with small tip
- Calories: 2200
- Fat: 100 g
- Saturated fat: 40 g
- Unsaturated fat: 60 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 270 mg
- Sodium: 2800 mg
- Potassium: 3600 mg
- Carbohydrates: 300 g
- Fiber: 20 g
What are Lebkuchen cookies made of?
Lebkuchen cookies are made of honey, brown sugar, butter, an egg, flour and ground almonds. The dough is actually really easy to make and a dream to roll out. Just make sure to use simple cutter shapes such as hearts, circles or stars as the lebkuchen are quite cakey cookies.
What is the most famous cookie in the world?
There can be no doubt that the most famous cookie in the world is the chocolate chip cookie. This classic treat has been enjoyed by people of all ages for generations, and its popularity shows no signs of waning any time soon.
What makes the chocolate chip cookie so special? Part of it is surely its delicious taste – a perfect combination of sweet and salty, with that unmistakable chocolate flavor. But there’s more to it than that. There’s also the fact that this cookie is just so darned easy to make. Whether you’re using a store-bought mix or making your own from scratch, they only take a few minutes to whip up, which makes them perfect for impromptu snack attacks.
And then there’s the nostalgia factor. For many people, chocolate chip cookies bring back happy memories of childhood baking sessions with mom or grandma. No matter what else is going on in our lives, these little cookies have a way of making us feel warm and fuzzy inside.
What is the most popular Christmas cookie in Germany?
Gingerbread is one of the most popular Christmas cookies in Germany. Lebkuchen is the German word for gingerbread, and there are many different variations all over the country. Depending on the mixture used for the dough, the result can range from soft and fluffy to crunchy and hard.
There are many different types of lebkuchen, but some of the most popular include Elisenlebkuchen (a type of gingerbread made with hazelnuts), honey gingerbread, and pfeffernusse (a type of spice cookie). Gingerbread cookies are often decorated with icing or chocolate, and they make a great addition to any holiday cookie platter.
What type of cookies do Germans like?
Germans love lebkuchen, a type of gingerbread cookie. Lebkuchen are an integral part of the German Christmas, and all Christmas markets in the country bask in the irresistible aroma of Germany’s favorite cookie. Lebkuchen are very similar to gingerbread, though perhaps less crispy.
Lebkuchen originated in Germany, and remain a cherished part of German culture.
What is the most popular cookie in Germany?
The most popular cookie in Germany is the Lebkuchen, also known as gingerbread. Gingerbread has been a favorite treat in Germany for centuries, and its popularity shows no signs of waning. Lebkuchen are typically made with honey, spices, and nuts, and are often decorated with frosting or chocolate. Whether you enjoy them plain or adorned, these delicious cookies are sure to please.