I’m a huge fan of Indian food, and there’s nothing quite like the taste of authentic Chicken Tikka Masala. I’ve been cooking this dish for years, and it never fails to tantalize my taste buds with its delicious combination of spices and creamy sauce. It’s easy to make, but the results are absolutely mouthwatering! I can promise you that once you try it, Chicken Tikka Masala will become one of your favorite meals.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Let’s get cooking! For this delicious Chicken Tikka Masala, here’s what you’ll need: 3 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken thighs, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons garam masala, 2 tablespoons ground coriander, 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons ground turmeric, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 large onion diced, 5 cloves garlic minced, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 2 cups chicken stock, 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/4 cup heavy cream and fresh cilantro for garnish.
- First, mix the Greek yogurt, garam masala, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, garlic powder, ground ginger, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Make sure everything is mixed together well.
- Next, rub the chicken thighs with the yogurt and spice mixture in a large bowl and make sure it’s evenly distributed all over the chicken. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Now, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chicken stock, and diced tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the marinated chicken thighs to the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer the chicken for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the honey and heavy cream to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish the Chicken Tikka Masala with fresh cilantro and serve. Enjoy!
- Calories: 597
- Fat: 36.1g
- Carbs: 15.4g
- Protein: 48.4g
- Sodium: 1243mg
- Cholesterol: 154mg
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 9.5g
What is chicken tikka masala and where did it originate from?
Chicken tikka masala is an incredibly popular Indian dish that is loved all over the world. It is made up of succulent chicken chunks that are marinated in yogurt and spices, then cooked in a creamy tomato sauce. It is usually served with a side of rice or naan bread.
But where did this delicious dish come from? While the exact origin of chicken tikka masala is a matter of some debate, it is widely believed to have originated in the United Kingdom. In the 1960s, an Indian restaurateur in Glasgow, Scotland is said to have created the dish as a way to appeal to the local British clientele. By adding a creamy tomato-based sauce, he was able to create a dish that was both flavorful and familiar to British tastes.
Since then, chicken tikka masala has become one of the most popular dishes in the UK and beyond. Its distinct flavor and texture make it a favorite around the world.
What are the key ingredients and spices that make up chicken tikka masala?
You’re in for a treat when it comes to making a delicious chicken tikka masala dish! The key ingredients and spices that make up chicken tikka masala are an array of savory and aromatic flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. The main ingredients include chicken, yogurt, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. The combination of these flavors creates a rich and creamy sauce that is bursting with flavor.
Garam masala is one of the key spices in chicken tikka masala that gives it its distinct flavor. It is a blend of several different spices, such as cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, and black pepper. This combination of spices adds a warm and nutty flavor to the dish.
Another important ingredient is chili powder. It adds a spicy kick to the dish that is sure to wake up your taste buds. You can also adjust the amount of chili to your preference, so you can make it as mild or as spicy as you like.
Turmeric is also a key ingredient in chicken tikka masala. It adds an earthy flavor to the dish and is also known for its health benefits. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and is full of antioxidants.
Last but not least, coriander is an important ingredient in chicken tikka masala. This spice adds a nutty and citrusy flavor to the dish, and it also helps to balance out the other spices.
These are just some of the key ingredients and spices that make up chicken tikka masala. With the right combination of these ingredients, you can create a delicious and aromatic dish that will tantalize your taste buds.
How do you make delicious chicken tikka masala at home?
Making delicious chicken tikka masala at home is easier than you think! Here are the steps to follow to make this delicious dish:
- Start by marinating the chicken with a mixture of yogurt, garlic, ginger, and spices. Leave it to marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat some oil in a large pan. Add the marinated chicken and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make a paste with onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and spices. Add to the chicken and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in enough stock or water to make a thick sauce. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finally, stir in some cream and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the chicken tikka masala with basmati rice and naan.
What makes chicken tikka masala such a popular dish around the world?
You may be wondering what makes Chicken Tikka Masala such a popular dish around the world. The answer is simple: its delicious flavors! This classic Indian dish is a hit for its creamy tomato-based sauce, flavorful marinade, and succulent chicken.
The dish is said to have originated in Glasgow, Scotland, and has since become a staple of Indian cuisine. The flavor combination of this dish is unique and has contributed to its global appeal. The savory marinade brings out the complex flavors of the spices in the dish, while the creamy tomato-based sauce adds a hint of sweetness.
The succulent chicken, which is marinated in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and lemon juice, is cooked in a tandoor oven and smothered in the creamy sauce. The result is a dish that is both flavorful and comforting.
The popularity of Chicken Tikka Masala around the world is not only due to its delicious flavors, but also to its versatility. It can be served as a main course, with rice and naan, or used as an accompaniment to other dishes. It can be made with different types of chicken, such as boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chunks, and can even be made with vegetables.
No matter how you choose to prepare it, Chicken Tikka Masala is sure to be a hit. Its unique flavor combination and versatility make it a favorite among food lovers around the world.
What kind of sides pair well with chicken tikka masala?
If you’re serving up some delicious chicken tikka masala, you have to have the right sides to really make the meal complete. The best accompaniments to chicken tikka masala are ones that balance out the bold flavors and creamy texture of the dish. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Naan bread: Soft and fluffy naan is a staple for any Indian meal, and it’s the perfect side to sop up the sauce from your chicken tikka masala.
- Basmati rice: Basmati rice is a long grain variety that pairs beautifully with the richness of the curry. To make it even better, try cooking it with some cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger for an extra layer of flavor.
- Green salad: A light, fresh salad is always a great complement to a spicy meal. Try a mix of colorful vegetables, like cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and onions, for a healthy crunch.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes are a great way to add some extra veggies to your plate. Plus, they have a sweetness that helps to balance out the savory flavors of the chicken tikka masala.
- Raita: This yogurt-based condiment is a great way to cool down your mouth after a bite of spicy curry. Try making your own with cucumbers, onions, and mint for a refreshing finish.
So, the next time you make a batch of chicken tikka masala, make sure to include one or more of these sides to really round out the meal.
What are some variations of chicken tikka masala?
If you’re a fan of Chicken Tikka Masala, then you know that there are many different variations of this delicious dish. From creamy and spicy to sweet and tangy, there’s a Chicken Tikka Masala for everyone! Here are some of the most popular variations of this delicious dish.
Creamy Tikka Masala: This classic version of Chicken Tikka Masala is creamy and rich. It’s made with a combination of cream, tomatoes, and spices, and is often served with a side of naan or basmati rice.
Spicy Tikka Masala: If you like a little heat in your Chicken Tikka Masala, then this version is for you! Spicy Tikka Masala is made with a mix of chilies and other spices, and is usually served with either rice or naan.
Sweet and Sour Tikka Masala: For those who like a little sweetness in their Chicken Tikka Masala, this version is perfect. It’s made with a combination of sweet and sour flavors, including tomatoes and mango chutney, and is often served with either naan or basmati rice.
Mint and Coriander Tikka Masala: This version of Chicken Tikka Masala is light and refreshing. It’s made with coriander, mint, and yogurt, and is usually served with either naan or basmati rice.
Kashmiri Tikka Masala: This version of Chicken Tikka Masala is a bit spicier than the others. It’s made with a combination of chilies, tomatoes, and spices, and is often served with either naan or basmati rice.
So, there you have it! Whether you like your Chicken Tikka Masala creamy, spicy, sweet and sour, or minty and coriander-filled, there’s a version of this delicious dish out there for everyone.