I have to admit, I’m a bit of a cake fanatic. I love all kinds of sweet treats, but there’s just something special about a good, home-made cake. Recently, I was inspired to try out a new recipe for an Orange Drizzle Cake and it was a total hit! The combination of orange and vanilla was so delicious, and the texture and flavor were just perfect. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you, as I know you’re going to love it just as much as I do.
Orange Drizzle Cake Recipe
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup salted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the self-rising flour, baking powder, and ¼ cup of the superfine sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, eggs, orange zest, and remaining ⅓ cup of superfine sugar.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the orange drizzle by combining the orange juice and remaining ¼ cup of superfine sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the cake is finished baking, carefully remove it from the oven and prick it all over with a fork.
- Spoon the orange drizzle over the cake and leave to cool in the pan.
- Once cool, remove the cake from the pan and serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 280 mg
How an orange drizzle cake can add a touch of sweetness to any occasion
An orange drizzle cake is the perfect way to add a touch of sweetness to any special occasion, from baby showers to weddings. It can be enjoyed by guests of all ages and is sure to be a hit at any event.
This cake is special because of its unique flavor combination of tart citrus and sweet sugar. The orange drizzle brings out the flavor of the cake and provides a delicious contrast to the cake’s light and fluffy texture. The addition of orange zest to the batter adds a refreshing citrus aroma to the cake that makes it irresistible.
Another great thing about this cake is that it can be easily customized to any event. For a baby shower, decorations can be added to the cake in the shape of rattles or pacifiers. For a wedding, it can be decorated with delicate sugar flowers or even a monogram. The options are endless when it comes to decorating an orange drizzle cake.
The orange drizzle cake is a great way to add a special touch to any celebration. It’s easy to make, can be customized for any event, and is sure to be enjoyed by guests of all ages. With its unique flavor combination and delicious citrus aroma, this cake is sure to be an essential part of any special occasion.
Tips and tricks for making the perfect orange drizzle cake, from choosing the right ingredients to baking and decorating the cake.
Choose the right ingredients: Select a high-quality butter and orange juice, as these will be the main flavors in the cake. You’ll also need self-raising flour, caster sugar, eggs, and a pinch of salt.
- Prepare the cake batter: Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Then, fold in the self-raising flour and salt. Finally, stir in the orange juice until the batter is well combined.
- Bake the cake: Grease and line two 8-inch round cake tins. Divide the batter between the two tins and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. Insert a skewer into the center of the cake – if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Make the orange syrup: While the cake is baking, prepare the orange syrup. In a small saucepan, heat together equal parts orange juice and caster sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup has a syrupy consistency.
- Decorate the cake: Once the cake is cooked and cooled, brush the syrup over the top of the cake and sprinkle with a few flakes of orange zest. Serve the orange drizzle cake with a dollop of cream or Greek yogurt and a few fresh oranges slices.
The health benefits of eating an orange drizzle cake, from the nutrients found in the cake itself to the benefits of the orange glaze.
Orange drizzle cake is a healthy choice for a sweet treat, offering a range of health benefits.
- The cake itself is high in dietary fiber, which helps to reduce cholesterol levels, promote better digestion, and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Rich in Vitamin C, the zest of the orange used in the cake helps to support the immune system and can even help to reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Orange drizzle cake is also a great source of iron, which helps to increase energy levels and can help to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
- The orange glaze that tops the cake is packed with antioxidants, which can help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
- Eating orange drizzle cake can also provide a boost of energy, thanks to its carb and sugar content.
Choosing the perfect orange drizzle cake
Choosing the perfect orange drizzle cake is all about exploring the different types of cakes and the various toppings available to make the perfect treat.
The first step in finding the perfect orange drizzle cake is to decide on the type of cake you want. There are a variety of cake bases to choose from such as a light and fluffy sponge cake, a dense pound cake or a rich and moist carrot cake. Each type of cake will have its own unique flavor and texture, so it’s important to consider which one will be the best fit for your desired orange drizzle cake.
Once you’ve decided on the type of cake you want, it’s time to select the toppings. You can opt for a simple orange glaze or go for something more elaborate, such as a cream cheese frosting with candied orange slices. You can also choose to add a layer of fresh fruit, like mandarin oranges, to the top of your cake for a burst of flavor and texture.
Finally, you can add the orange drizzle. There are several types of orange drizzle available, ranging from a light syrup to a thick glaze. The type you choose should depend on the sweetness of your cake and the desired final texture. If you’re looking for something light and airy, a light syrup might be the best choice. If you’re looking for something richer, try a thicker glaze.
With these tips in mind, you should have no problem finding the perfect orange drizzle cake for your next event or gathering. From selecting the cake base to the perfect topping and orange drizzle, there are countless options available to make an amazing orange drizzle cake. So go ahead, explore and create the perfect orange drizzle cake of your dreams.
The best orange drizzle cake recipes
Orange drizzle cake is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert. Whether you’re looking for a traditional recipe or something more creative, here are some of the best orange drizzle cakes recipes to try.
For a classic orange drizzle cake, start with a basic sponge cake recipe. Begin by creaming together 225g of softened butter with 225g of caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 eggs, one at a time, followed by 225g of self-raising flour. Gently mix in the finely grated zest of one orange and a tablespoon of the juice, and then divide the mixture evenly between two greased and lined 20cm round cake tins and bake at 180˚C for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
To make the orange drizzle, place the remaining orange juice, 75g of caster sugar, and a knob of butter into a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Use a skewer to poke a few holes in the top of the cooled cakes, and then pour the orange syrup over each cake. Serve warm with a dollop of cream or some freshly whipped cream.
For a more creative twist, try a delicious orange and almond drizzle cake. Start by creaming 200g of softened butter with 200g of golden caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 eggs, one at a time, followed by 200g of plain flour, 50g of ground almonds, and a teaspoon of almond extract. Divide the mixture evenly between two greased and lined 20cm round cake tins and bake at 180˚C for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
To make the orange drizzle, combine the finely grated zest and juice of one orange, 75g of caster sugar, and a knob of butter in a small saucepan. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved, and then pour over the cooled cakes. Finally, scatter over some flaked almonds for extra crunch and serve with cream or freshly whipped cream.
No matter which recipe you choose, orange drizzle cake is sure to be a crowd pleaser.