I’m a huge fan of tacos and I can never get enough of them! So when I heard about Fresh Mex Tacos, I was intrigued and wanted to try them out. I’m so glad I did, because these tacos are nothing short of amazing! They have a unique blend of flavors, with a hint of spice, that make them a delicious and satisfying meal.
Fresh Mex Tacos Recipe
- 1 (7 ounce) can Green Giant® Mexicorn®
- 1 (15 ounce) can Ortega® Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 medium ripe avocados
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage, core removed
- 1 (5.8 ounce) package Ortega Yellow Corn Taco Shells (12 count)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands® Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Cumin Seed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the Green Giant Mexicorn on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash the avocados and combine with the black beans, cabbage, 2 tablespoons of the chives, the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, Spice Islands salt, cumin seed, and kosher salt. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Place the Ortega Yellow Corn Taco Shells onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove both pans from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Divide the avocado-black bean mixture evenly among the taco shells, then top each with the Green Giant Mexicorn and a dollop of the Greek yogurt.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of chives over the tacos, then serve. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 Fresh Mex Taco
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Protein: 5g
- Fiber: 4g
What are the key elements of a fresh mex taco and why do they make it so flavorful?
The key elements of a fresh mex taco are a flavorful filling, a soft tortilla, and a variety of toppings such as salsa, cheese, onions, cilantro, and lime. Each of these elements contributes to the overall flavor of the taco, creating a savory and satisfying meal.
The filling is the main component of the taco, and typically consists of ground beef, shredded chicken, pork, or a vegetarian alternative. The savory, seasoned filling is the star of the taco and provides the base for the rest of the ingredients to build upon.
The tortilla is the shell of the taco and is generally made from corn or wheat flour. The soft tortilla ensures the taco stays together and adds a subtle sweetness that complements the bold flavors of the filling.
The toppings are where the taco really comes alive. A variety of flavors can be added to the taco, such as salsa, cheese, onions, cilantro, and lime. These toppings add a complexity of flavor and texture to the taco, and can be customized to each person’s preference.
The combination of a flavorful filling, a soft tortilla, and a variety of toppings gives the fresh mex taco its unique and delicious flavor. Every bite is a unique combination of complimentary tastes and textures, creating a truly satisfying meal.
What are some creative ways to serve a fresh mex taco?
There are many creative ways to serve a fresh Mex taco. Some of the most popular and delicious ideas include topping the tacos with a variety of fresh vegetables, adding a layer of guacamole or fresh salsa, or even creating a taco salad.
For a classic, yet flavorful taco, try topping the tacos with freshly-chopped tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Add shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream to complete the meal. For an extra twist, add a layer of guacamole or fresh salsa to the tacos.
To create a taco salad, start with a layer of lettuce and pile on the taco ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and taco sauce. For an extra kick, add some jalapenos, black olives, or sliced avocado.
For a more unique twist, try using a different type of meat such as ground beef, pork carnitas, or chicken for the tacos. For an even healthier option, substitute the meat for black beans or grilled vegetables. Top the tacos with a variety of fresh vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or spinach.
No matter which type of taco you choose, you can serve it with a variety of toppings and condiments to make the meal even more flavorful. From guacamole and salsa to shredded cheese and sour cream, you can get creative with the toppings and make the tacos your own.
What are the health benefits of eating fresh mex tacos?
Eating fresh Mex tacos can provide several health benefits, such as:
- Improved Digestion: Fresh Mex tacos contain a range of healthy ingredients, like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers and beans, which are all sources of dietary fiber. Fiber is essential for proper digestion, as it helps to keep food moving through the digestive system and prevents constipation.
- Increased Nutrient Intake: Fresh Mex tacos can also be a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and calcium. Eating these nutrients helps to promote overall health and well-being.
- Improved Blood Sugar Levels: Fresh Mex tacos also contain complex carbohydrates, which are slowly metabolized in the body. This helps to keep blood sugar levels stable, resulting in sustained energy levels and reduced cravings for sugary foods.
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease: The ingredients in fresh Mex tacos, such as vegetables and beans, are rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids, which help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Improved Cognitive Function: Eating fresh Mex tacos also helps to improve cognitive function, as the healthy ingredients provide essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that protect the brain and improve its functioning.
How can the flavors of a fresh mex taco be adapted to different cultures around the world?
Adapting the flavors of a Fresh Mex taco to different cultures around the world can be achieved by swapping out ingredient substitutions to better suit the tastes of the local populace. For instance, Asian-inspired tacos could swap out the beef or chicken for pork, while Indian-inspired tacos could include chutney and spices like turmeric and cumin. Mediterranean-inspired tacos could include feta cheese, olives, bell pepper and cucumbers, while Scandinavian-inspired tacos could include smoked salmon and dill.
No matter the culture, the key to creating the perfect Fresh Mex taco is to use fresh ingredients and flavors that are both familiar and exciting. This means experimenting with different combinations of ingredients and spices to create a unique and interesting flavor profile. For example, a Japanese-inspired taco could include tempura shrimp, daikon radish, shoyu and togarashi, while a Mexican-inspired taco could include chorizo and jalapenos.
In addition to ingredient substitutions, cooks should also consider how to present their tacos. For instance, a Mediterranean-inspired taco could be served in pita bread, while a Scandinavian-inspired taco could be served on a crisp flatbread. Presentation is an important part of creating a unique and memorable taco experience, and it can help to bring together all the flavors and ingredients into a delicious and satisfying meal.
At the end of the day, the key to creating the perfect Fresh Mex taco is to have fun and get creative with the flavors and ingredients. With a little experimentation and creativity, cooks can create an exciting and delicious meal that is sure to please any palate.
How can fresh mex tacos be used to make a delicious and nutritious meal?
Fresh Mex tacos can be used to make a delicious and nutritious meal by combining the right ingredients. By utilizing fresh ingredients such as lean proteins, vegetables, and healthy fats, as well as flavorful spices and herbs, you can create a meal that is both nutritious and delicious. Here are some tips on how to make a delicious and nutritious Fresh Mex taco meal.
First, start by selecting lean proteins for your tacos. Good options include lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey. You can also opt for plant-based proteins such as black beans or lentils. Then, choose fresh vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and corn. These can be served raw or cooked.
Next, add healthy fats to your tacos. Avocado, cheese, and yogurt are all great options. Avocado is especially nutritious, as it is packed with nutrients and healthy fats. Finally, top your tacos off with flavorful spices and herbs, such as cilantro, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. These will add a great depth of flavor to your tacos.
When it comes to tacos, there are endless variations. However, the combination of lean proteins, vegetables, healthy fats, and flavorful spices and herbs will always make for a nutritious and delicious meal. With these simple tips, you can easily create a flavorful Fresh Mex taco dish that will satisfy everyone at the table.