I’m a big fan of breakfast casseroles, and my favorite is definitely chilaquiles. This recipe combines all of my favorite ingredients into one delicious dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s cheesy, spicy, and full of flavor! I’ve made this casserole for friends and family on special occasions and everyone always loves it. If you’re looking for an easy and delicious breakfast dish, this chilaquiles breakfast casserole is the perfect choice.
Chilaquiles Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound mild breakfast sausage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can Ortega® Diced Green Chiles, drained
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles Ortega® Mild Taco Sauce
- 2 (5.8 ounce) packages Ortega® Yellow Corn Taco Shells (about 24 taco shells total), broken into pieces
- ⅔ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, diced (Optional)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced radishes (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until lightly browned. Add in red onion and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add in diced green chiles and Ortega® Mild Taco Sauce, stirring to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, water, water, salt, and sugar.
- Pour the mixture over the sausage mixture in the skillet, stirring to combine.
- Place the broken taco shells in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the taco shells.
- Whisk together the eggs and pour over the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with tomatoes and radishes, if desired.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 356
- Fat: 19.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 149mg
- Sodium: 890mg
- Carbohydrates: 24.3g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Protein: 17.3g
What unique twists can be added to a chilaquiles breakfast casserole?
Creating a unique chilaquiles breakfast casserole is easy with a few creative twists. To give your dish a unique flavor, try adding in ingredients like bacon, chorizo, and roasted red peppers. To give it a Mexican-inspired spin, add in spices like cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. For a creamy element, substitute the cheese for a mix of sour cream and Greek yogurt. Finally, switch up the toppings by adding fresh herbs like cilantro, diced jalapeños, and sliced avocados. With these twists, you can create a delicious and unique chilaquiles breakfast casserole.
What are the benefits of making a breakfast casserole like chilaquiles?
The benefits of making a breakfast casserole like chilaquiles include:
- Saving time — With fewer individual components to put together, chilaquiles casserole can be prepared quickly and all at once.
- Versatility — Chilaquiles can be customized to your liking and the ingredients can be swapped out easily.
- Variety — It’s a great way to mix up your breakfast routine and enjoy something different.
- Nutrition — Chilaquiles casserole can be made with a variety of nutrient-rich ingredients, offering a tasty and nutritious breakfast option.
- Economical — Preparing a casserole is a great way to use up leftovers and stretch your food budget.
How can chilaquiles breakfast casserole be adapted to fit different dietary needs?
Chilaquiles breakfast casserole can easily be adapted to fit different dietary needs. With a few simple swaps, this dish can be made to accommodate vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free diets.
For vegans, the dish can be made with plant-based proteins such as tofu, tempeh, or seitan. To make it vegetarian, use cheese as a topping or swap out the eggs for a vegan egg substitute. For those who want to make the dish gluten-free, replace the traditional tortilla chips with a gluten-free variety. To make the dish dairy-free, substitute the cheese with a vegan cheese or skip the cheese altogether.
It’s also possible to add more vegetables to the dish for an even healthier breakfast. Try adding diced bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms for a nutritious and delicious start to the day. With a few simple modifications, chilaquiles breakfast casserole can easily be adapted to fit different dietary needs.
What are the best accompaniments to pair with a chilaquiles breakfast casserole?
The best accompaniments to pair with a chilaquiles breakfast casserole are diced avocado, queso fresco, crema, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro. Each of these ingredients complement the flavor of the casserole in different ways, while also adding texture and variety.
Avocado is a great source of healthy fats and provides a creamy texture to the casserole. Queso fresco, a mild cheese, adds a salty, tangy flavor and creamy texture. Crema is a Mexican condiment that has a mild and slightly tangy flavor, and it adds a rich and creamy texture. Tomatoes provide a juicy and tangy flavor, and the fresh cilantro adds a bright, flavorful finish.
These accompaniments can be served either on top of the casserole or alongside it. For a decorative and flavorful presentation, try garnishing each serving with a combination of diced avocado, queso fresco, crema, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro. For a healthier version, try replacing the queso fresco with sliced jalapeños, diced shallots, or chopped garlic.
In addition to these accompaniments, other popular side dishes to serve with a chilaquiles breakfast casserole include refried beans, chorizo, black beans, and fried plantains. These sides can be mixed and matched to create a variety of flavorful and interesting dishes.
No matter which accompaniments you choose, a chilaquiles breakfast casserole is sure to be a hit with family and friends. With the right combinations of ingredients, you can make a delicious and crowd-pleasing meal that everyone will love.
How can one ensure a chilaquiles breakfast casserole is cooked to perfection?
One can ensure a chilaquiles breakfast casserole is cooked to perfection by following a few simple steps.
When prepping the ingredients, it is important to use quality ingredients, such as fresh tortillas, corn, and tomatoes. Additionally, make sure to use the correct amount of each ingredient, as too much of one ingredient can affect the flavor of the dish.
When assembling the casserole, be sure to layer the ingredients in a way that will help the dish cook evenly. Start with a layer of tortillas, followed by a layer of the filling ingredients, and then another layer of tortillas.
Once the ingredients are all in place, it is important to top the casserole with a generous layer of cheese. The cheese will help to lock in the moisture and add a delicious flavor to the dish.
When it comes time to bake the casserole, it is important to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and be sure to bake it for 25-30 minutes. This will ensure the casserole is cooked all the way through and that the cheese is melted and bubbling.
By following these simple steps, one can ensure their chilaquiles breakfast casserole is cooked to perfection.