I’ve been making these Creamy Veggie Enchiladas for years now, and every time I do, they disappear faster than I can blink! They’re incredibly delicious, and the creamy sauce combined with the fresh vegetables and crispy tortilla shells make them irresistible. The best part? They’re surprisingly easy to make and require minimal ingredients. So if you’re looking for a delicious, vegan-friendly dish that will have everyone asking for seconds, this is it!
Creamy Veggie Enchiladas Recipe
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 small onion, diced
- • 1 bell pepper, diced
- • 1 cup spinach, chopped
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 1 teaspoon chili powder
- • Salt and pepper, to taste
- • ½ cup cream cheese
- • 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- • 4 tortillas
- • 1 ½ cups enchilada sauce, divided
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, spinach, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the cream cheese and 1 cup of the shredded cheese to the skillet and mix until melted and combined.
- Place 1 tortilla in a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce over the tortilla.
- Add a layer of the cream cheese and vegetable mixture over the tortilla and spread evenly. Top with another 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining three tortillas.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese and 1 cup of enchilada sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 590
- Total Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 1620mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 48g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 25g
What vegetables can be used to make creamy veggie enchiladas?
There are a variety of vegetables that can be used to make creamy veggie enchiladas. The most popular vegetables used are bell peppers, corn, onions, black beans, and spinach. Other vegetables that can be used to make creamy veggie enchiladas include mushrooms, sweet potatoes, squash, and zucchini.
Bell peppers add a sweet, mild flavor and can be used in a variety of colors to provide a vibrant presentation. Corn adds a delicate crunch and sweetness to the enchiladas, while onions provide a savory flavor. Black beans are a great source of protein and provide a hearty texture. Spinach is a great choice for a flavorful and nutritious veggie enchilada.
Mushrooms add a savory, earthy flavor and a meaty texture to the enchiladas. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber and add a subtle sweetness to the dish. Squash and zucchini both provide a mild, sweet flavor and a tender texture.
No matter which vegetables you choose to use, creamy veggie enchiladas are sure to be a delicious and nutritious dish. With the right combination of vegetables and other ingredients like cheese, sour cream, and enchilada sauce, veggie enchiladas are sure to be a hit.
How can the creamy sauce for veggie enchiladas be made?
Making the creamy sauce for veggie enchiladas is easy and requires only a few simple ingredients. With just a few minutes of prep and cooking, you can make a delicious sauce that will really make your enchiladas stand out.
To make the creamy sauce, you’ll need butter, flour, vegetable broth, milk, garlic powder, and cumin. Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir until it’s fully combined with the butter and lightly browned.
Next, add the vegetable broth and stir until the flour and butter are fully combined. Then, add the milk and stir until smooth. Finally, add the garlic powder and cumin and stir until it’s all combined. Let the sauce simmer for about five minutes until it’s thickened.
Your creamy sauce for veggie enchiladas is now ready to use. Pour it over your enchiladas and bake as instructed. The creamy sauce will add a delicious flavor to your veggie enchiladas, making them even more delicious.
What are the benefits of eating enchiladas made with vegetables?
Eating enchiladas made with vegetables can offer numerous benefits to an individual’s health.
- Vegetables are an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals, and can provide essential fiber and other essential nutrients.
- Vegetable enchiladas may be lower in fat and calories than their meat and cheese counterparts, making them a healthier choice for those trying to watch their caloric intake.
- Vegetables contain powerful antioxidants which have been linked to a variety of health benefits, including reduced risk of chronic disease.
- Eating vegetables in enchiladas can help an individual reach their daily recommended intake of vegetables, which can be beneficial for overall health.
- Eating vegetables is associated with a reduced risk of obesity and other health issues, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
What type of cheese pairs best with creamy veggie enchiladas?
When it comes to what type of cheese pairs best with creamy veggie enchiladas, the best choice is Monterey Jack cheese. This mild-flavored cheese melts easily, adding an extra layer of creamy goodness to the dish, without overpowering the other flavors.
However, there are plenty of other options if you’re looking to switch up the flavor profile. Queso blanco is a great alternative, as it is a semi-firm cheese that also melts easily, adding a slightly tangy flavor to the mix. For a more intense flavor, try a sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese, both of which will enhance the flavor of the dish.
If you’re looking for a vegan alternative, there are plenty of great dairy-free cheeses on the market. Nut-based cheeses are a great option, as they can melt just like traditional cheese, while providing a creamy, nutty flavor. Coconut milk-based cheeses also work well, and can offer a cheesy flavor without the dairy.
Ultimately, the cheese you choose to pair with your creamy veggie enchiladas will depend on the flavor you’re trying to achieve. Whether you’re looking for a milder flavor or something more intense, there are plenty of great cheese options to choose from.
What accompaniments can be served with creamy veggie enchiladas?
Creamy veggie enchiladas are a delicious, comforting meal that pairs well with a variety of accompaniments. Some popular side dishes to serve with creamy veggie enchiladas include rice, beans, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and a green salad.
Rice is a classic accompaniment to enchiladas, and it pairs especially well with creamy veggie enchiladas. You can opt for a simple dish of plain white or brown rice, or dress it up with some diced vegetables, herbs, and spices.
Beans also make a great side dish for creamy veggie enchiladas. Choose from black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, or other types of beans. You can also add additional flavors and textures by mixing the beans with diced vegetables, cilantro, and other seasonings.
Sour cream, guacamole, and salsa are all great options for topping creamy veggie enchiladas. Sour cream adds a rich and creamy texture to the dish, while guacamole and salsa add a bright, fresh flavor.
A green salad is also a great accompaniment to creamy veggie enchiladas. A simple salad of mixed greens is a light and refreshing option. Or, you can go all out and add tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and other colorful vegetables to your salad.
These are just a few of the many accompaniments that can be served with creamy veggie enchiladas. With a variety of accompaniments, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone is sure to enjoy.