I’ve been making this delicious Spicy Shrimp and Red Bean Soup for years and it’s always been a hit. It’s a unique and flavorful combination of spicy shrimp, red beans, and vegetables that comes together in a savory broth. The heat of the spices is balanced perfectly with the sweetness of the shrimp and the earthy flavor of the beans. The soup can be served as a light lunch or as a hearty dinner, and it always leaves me feeling satisfied and nourished.
Spicy Shrimp And Red Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 12 ounces medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup water
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, celery and green onions to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red kidney beans, tomatoes with green chilies, cream of mushroom soup, water, and fresh dill. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Sodium: 616mg
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 2g
How can this soup be adapted to suit different dietary preferences?
This spicy shrimp and red bean soup can easily be adapted to suit different dietary preferences and needs. For a vegetarian option, the shrimp can be omitted and replaced with other ingredients such as mushrooms, tofu, or tempeh. Alternatively, to make the soup vegan, the shrimp can be replaced with a plant-based protein, such as a legume or grain. For those on a dairy-free diet, cream can be omitted or replaced with a non-dairy milk, such as almond or coconut milk. Additionally, to make the soup gluten-free, gluten-containing ingredients, such as the flour used to thicken the soup, can be replaced with gluten-free options.
Despite the changes made to the recipe, the soup can still be full of flavor and texture by substituting ingredients and adding additional spices or herbs. For example, a variety of vegetables can be added to the soup for added nutrition and flavor, such as bell peppers, carrots, celery, or kale. Additionally, herbs, such as parsley or cilantro, can be added for an extra boost of flavor. Furthermore, the amount of spice can be adjusted to suit individual tastes.
Overall, with some simple modifications, this spicy shrimp and red bean soup can be tailored to suit different dietary preferences and needs.
What are the health benefits of shrimp and red beans?
Shrimp and red beans are both healthy sources of protein and fiber, making them an excellent choice for anyone looking to make a nutritious meal.
- Shrimp is a lean protein source, meaning it is low in fat and calories but contains a good amount of essential nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, and selenium.
- Red beans are a great source of dietary fiber, which can help reduce cholesterol levels and maintain healthy digestion.
- Shrimp and red beans contain high levels of essential minerals like magnesium and potassium, which are important for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
- Eating shrimp and red beans regularly can help improve heart health, reduce inflammation, and boost immunity.
- The combination of shrimp and red beans is a great source of iron, which is essential for healthy red blood cells and energy production.
What are the origins of the flavors found in this spicy soup?
The unique flavors found in spicy shrimp and red bean soup come from a combination of fragrant spices, savory vegetables, and a variety of herbs. Common ingredients include garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and cumin, which give the soup its signature heat. Other ingredients like onions, bell peppers, and celery add a savory depth to the flavor profile. Fresh herbs such as cilantro and parsley provide a bright and herbal finish to the soup. To round out the flavor, a variety of beans, such as red kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans, add a nutty richness. All combined, these ingredients create a unique and flavorful soup.
What other dishes can be paired with this soup to create a meal?
When pairing dishes to complete a meal with Spicy Shrimp and Red Bean Soup, there are several delicious options. A light salad is always an excellent choice, such as a spinach salad with thinly sliced red onions, sweet cherry tomatoes, and a simple vinaigrette. Another option is to pair the soup with a grilled fish, such as tilapia, sea bass, or salmon. Grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers also make a delicious accompaniment to the soup. For a more filling meal, consider adding a side of quinoa, couscous, or brown rice.
If you’re looking for something a bit heartier, consider adding a protein, such as grilled chicken, pork chops, or steak. These proteins pair perfectly with the flavors of the soup and can provide a satisfying and filling meal. To round out the meal, add a side of roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli, or a simple green salad.
No matter what you choose to pair with your Spicy Shrimp and Red Bean Soup, the result will be a delicious and satisfying meal. With a bit of creativity, you can create a balanced meal that is sure to please even the pickiest eater.
How can this soup be made quickly and easily?
Making Spicy Shrimp And Red Bean Soup quickly and easily is possible with a few simple steps. All you need are some pre-cooked shrimp, canned red beans, and a few spices. Here is a step-by-step guide to making this delicious soup in no time:
- Start by heating up a pot of chicken or vegetable broth.
- Once the broth is hot, add in the canned red beans and stir to combine.
- Add the pre-cooked shrimp to the pot and then season the soup with your desired spices. Depending on how spicy you like your soup, you can add more or less of certain spices.
- Simmer the soup for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have blended and the shrimp and beans are cooked through.
- Serve the soup hot with a side of crusty bread or tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Making Spicy Shrimp And Red Bean Soup can be a quick and easy meal to prepare. With just a few simple ingredients and a short amount of time, you can enjoy a flavorful and delicious soup.
What type of shrimp is best for this soup?
The best type of shrimp for Spicy Shrimp and Red Bean Soup is medium-sized, wild-caught shrimp. This type of shrimp has a firm texture and a mild, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the spicy and savory flavors of the soup. The size of the shrimp ensures that they don’t get overcooked in the soup and they hold their shape nicely. Look for wild-caught shrimp with a natural pink or brownish hue. Avoid farm-raised shrimp, as they tend to be smaller and lack the same flavor.
How can the heat level be adjusted to suit different tastes?
The heat level of Spicy Shrimp And Red Bean Soup can be easily adjusted to suit different tastes. The key to adjusting the spiciness of the soup lies in the ingredients and how they are cooked. Here are some tips to help you create a soup that is as mild or spicy as you like:
- Choose the right ingredients: Opt for milder ingredients such as bell peppers, onions, and garlic rather than hot spices like cayenne pepper, chili powder, and jalapeno peppers.
- Use less of the spicier ingredients: If you decide to use spicier ingredients, use less of them to keep the heat level milder.
- Add some cream or yogurt: You can add a small amount of cream or yogurt to the soup to balance out the spiciness.
- Add some acidity: Add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice to the soup to cut through the heat.
- Adjust as you go: Taste the soup as you go and adjust the heat level as needed.
By following these tips, you can easily adjust the heat level of Spicy Shrimp And Red Bean Soup so that it suits different tastes.