This is a classic rhubarb cake recipe that is perfect for any occasion. The cake is moist and fluffy, with a hint of tartness from the rhubarb. It’s topped with a simple sugar glaze, which makes it look as good as it tastes!
- -1/2 cup butter (softened)
- -1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- -1 large egg
- -1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- -2 cups all-purpose flour
- -1 teaspoon baking soda
- -1/4 teaspoon salt
- -1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- -2 cups fresh rhubarb, diced (about 4 stalks)
- for the topping:
- -1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- – 1/4 cup butter, softened
- – 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- – 1 cup packed light brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar. Beat in one large egg and one teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
3. In another bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the sifted ingredients alternately with buttermilk to the creamed mixture from step 2 above.
4. Toss rhubarb with one tablespoon flour and stir into batter gently until mixed evenly throughout. Spoon batter into a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan and smooth the surface with a spoon or spatula so that it is level all around.
5 For topping: Blend together 1/4 cup butter or margarine, ground cinnamon, and packed light brown sugar; sprinkle evenly over batter in pan from step 4 above..
6 Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until cake tests done (insert toothpick in center of cake – if it comes out clean, cake is done). Enjoy!
- Servings: 12 | Calories: 340 kcal