I’ll never forget the first time I made Pumpkin Tortilla Soup. It was a chilly winter night and I wanted to make something special, so I decided to try out this recipe. The combination of the pumpkin puree and the roasted red peppers was like nothing I’d ever tasted before. It was creamy, flavorful, and totally comforting. I knew that this was a soup I would make again and again!
Pumpkin Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the black beans and tortilla strips and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the shredded cheese, cilantro, and an extra dash of chili powder, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 800mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 9g
What is the nutritional value of pumpkin tortilla soup?
Pumpkin tortilla soup offers a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and iron. It also contains complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and protein. The soup can be a great source of nutrients for those looking for a quick and easy meal.
The soup’s main ingredients, pumpkin and tortilla, both offer a variety of health benefits. Pumpkin contains vitamins A and C, which are both important for healthy skin, eyes, and immune system. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, which can help with digestion. Tortilla provides complex carbohydrates and dietary fiber, as well as calcium and iron.
Additionally, pumpkin tortilla soup is a great source of protein. It contains beans, which are a great source of protein, as well as chicken, tofu, or other meat substitutes. This combination of proteins makes it a great meal for those looking to gain muscle.
The soup also contains other healthy nutrients, such as garlic, onions, and bell peppers, which are all rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants help to protect the body from free radical damage and can help to reduce inflammation.
Overall, pumpkin tortilla soup is a great source of vitamins, minerals, complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and protein, making it a nutritious meal for those looking for a quick and easy meal. It is a great source of antioxidants and can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
What types of flavors can be added to pumpkin tortilla soup?
When it comes to pumpkin tortilla soup, there are many different flavors that can be added to the mix. From smoky chili and adobo seasonings to spicy cumin and sweet nutmeg, there are a variety of flavors that can enhance the taste of this traditional soup. Other ingredients such as jalapeno pepper, garlic, onion, and even cilantro can also be added for an added kick. For those who prefer a milder flavor, adding some cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice can provide a more subtle sweetness. The possibilities are endless when it comes to the flavors that can be added to this soup and the combinations are only limited by your imagination.
What are the health benefits of pumpkin tortilla soup?
Pumpkin Tortilla Soup offers a variety of health benefits.
- It is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and contains antioxidants that can help boost the immune system.
- Pumpkin is high in vitamin A and carotenoids, which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the risk of cancer and other diseases.
- The soup is also a great source of iron, which can help keep your energy levels up and improve your overall health.
- Additionally, pumpkin is high in potassium, which helps with muscle contraction and can reduce the risk of stroke.
- The combination of vegetables and pumpkin also provides a variety of vitamins and minerals, helping to provide essential nutrients to the body.
- Finally, pumpkin soup is low in calories and fat, making it a nutritious option that can help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
What are some tips for making the perfect pumpkin tortilla soup?
Use a flavorful broth: Choose a flavorful broth such as chicken, beef, or vegetable broth to give your soup an extra boost of flavor.
- Add spices: To give your soup a spicy kick, add chili powder, cumin, garlic, and oregano to the broth.
- Choose the right type of pumpkin: For the best flavor, choose a sweet pumpkin such as a Sugar Pie, or a butternut squash.
- Use cooked chicken: To add a protein boost, use cooked chicken or turkey. If you’re vegetarian, you can substitute with beans or tofu.
- Toast the tortillas: To give your soup a crunchy texture, toast your tortillas in a skillet or oven.
- Use cream or milk: To make your soup creamier, add cream or milk. This also helps to thicken the broth.
- Add toppings: For an extra flavor boost, top your soup with shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, or avocado.
What are the main ingredients in pumpkin tortilla soup?
The main ingredients in pumpkin tortilla soup are pumpkin puree, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and black pepper. The soup is also garnished with crispy tortilla strips, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro.
Pumpkin puree forms the base of the soup, adding a creamy texture and a mild sweetness. The onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and black pepper create a flavorful mix of savory spices. The soup is then finished off with a garnish of crisp tortilla strips, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro.
The combination of the savory spices, creamy pumpkin puree, and crunchy garnishes creates a unique flavor profile that is sure to please. The soup is also a great way to use up any leftover pumpkin puree, making it a great dish for any season.
Pumpkin tortilla soup is a delicious and easy-to-make meal that is sure to please. With its unique flavor profile and simple ingredients, this soup is sure to become a household favorite.
How can pumpkin tortilla soup be served?
Pumpkin Tortilla Soup can be served in a variety of ways. It can be enjoyed as a main dish with a side of rice or quinoa, as an appetizer with a side of chips and salsa, or as an accompaniment to a Mexican-style dinner. Additionally, it can be served in a bread bowl or even as a dip with tortilla chips.
When serving as a main dish, top the soup with shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips for added flavor and texture. If desired, add diced avocado or diced tomatoes for a splash of color. For a lighter version of the soup, skip the cheese and chips and add fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley.
When serving as an appetizer, keep it simple with a side of chips and salsa. This can also be served with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro. For a Mexican-style dinner, serve the soup as an accompaniment to tacos, enchiladas, or burritos.
For a unique presentation, serve the soup in a bread bowl. Make the bread bowl by cutting the top off a round loaf of bread and hollowing out the inside. Ladle the pumpkin tortilla soup into the bread bowl and serve with a side of chips and salsa.
Whether served as a main dish or an appetizer, Pumpkin Tortilla Soup can also be enjoyed as a dip with tortilla chips. Cut the chips in half and arrange them on a plate or bowl. Ladle the soup into the bowl, creating a dip. Serve with a side of fresh salsa or diced fresh tomatoes for a delicious and colorful presentation.
How long does it take to prepare pumpkin tortilla soup?
It typically takes around 30 minutes to prepare pumpkin tortilla soup.
Pumpkin tortilla soup is a delicious and nutritious meal that can be made in just 30 minutes. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or a quick lunch. The soup is filled with a variety of flavors, textures, and colors, making it a great choice for a dinner party.
To prepare pumpkin tortilla soup, gather all the necessary ingredients, including chicken, canned pumpkin puree, tortilla chips, and a variety of spices. Begin by heating 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pot over medium heat and adding diced chicken. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink and then add diced onions and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Then, add the canned pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and a variety of spices. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Finally, add the tortilla chips and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Your pumpkin tortilla soup is now ready to serve. Garnish with fresh herbs, cheese, or sour cream.