This dish is bursting with the flavors of summertime. Peaches and raspberries are layered between slices of French toast, making for a decadent and indulgent breakfast casserole. The best part? It can be made ahead of time, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning.
- 1 large loaf of brioche, challah or crusty bread, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peaches, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen raspberries
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
2. Cut or tear bread into 2×2-inch pieces and place in the bottom of the prepared dish. Dot with 2/3 of the raspberries, then layer peach slices over top. Add another layer of bread pieces on top and tuck remaining berries into cracks and crevices.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs until homogeneous before adding heavy cream, sugar, extract, and salt. Whisk for about 1 minute more aggressively. Pour mixture over bread and fruit in the dish, gently pressing down so everything is moistened by custard mixture
4 . Sprinkle evenly with sugar and sliced almonds then bake for 50 minutes at 350°F or until golden brown on top with toasty bits . While casserole bakes , make raspberry sauce by setting a fine mesh strainer over a bowl then heating frozen raspberries , sugar , vanilla ,and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat while stirring occasionally and mashing berries down with back of spatula (about 5-7 minutes ).
- Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 590
- Fat: 30 g
- Saturated fat: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 285 mg
- Sodium: 660 mg
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 36 g
- Protein: 16 g