I love Fideo Soup! I remember the first time I ever had it – my grandmother made it for me one Sunday night, and it was like a warm hug from her kitchen. I was hooked! The warm, comforting flavors of this traditional Mexican soup have a way of bringing me back to that Sunday night with my grandmother. It’s always a treat to make Fideo Soup, and I’m happy to share the recipe with you.
Fideo Soup Recipe
- Grapeseed Oil – 1 tablespoon
- White Onion – ½ medium, roughly chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 2, peeled
- Tomatoes – 1 medium, cored and halved; ½ (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced
- Mint Leaves – 1 (7 ounce) package, lightly crushed, plus more for garnish
- Chicken Soup Base – 1 teaspoon (such as Better than Bouillon®)
- Dried Oregano – ½ teaspoon
- Ground Cumin – ½ teaspoon
- Zucchini – 1 medium, diced
- Salt – 1 pinch, to taste
- Beef Broth – 2 cups
- Chicken Broth – 2 cups
- Vegetable Broth – 4 cups, divided
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mint leaves, chicken soup base, oregano, cumin, and zucchini to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the salt, beef broth, chicken broth, and 2 cups of vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth, stir to combine, and simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve the Fideo Soup hot, garnished with additional mint leaves. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 8g
- Sodium: 910mg
What is fideo soup, and how does its distinctive flavor come from?
Fideo soup is a traditional Mexican dish made from cooked fideo pasta and a variety of vegetables and spices. It is often served as a starter soup, but it can also be a full meal in itself. The distinctive flavor of fideo soup comes from a combination of the spices used in the soup, along with the vegetables and the pasta itself.
To create fideo soup, the pasta is first cooked in oil until it is golden brown in color. This gives the pasta a nutty, toasted flavor that is the backbone of the soup’s distinctive taste. After the pasta is cooked, vegetables such as onions, tomatoes, garlic, and peppers are added and cooked with the pasta. Spices such as cumin, oregano, and chili pepper are then added to the mixture, giving the soup its unique flavor. Finally, the vegetables are simmered in broth until they are tender, and the soup is ready to serve.
The combination of the toasted pasta, vegetables, and spices gives fideo soup its unique flavor. The warm, savory flavor of the toasted pasta and the earthy, spicy flavor of the vegetables and spices combine to create a tasty, comforting soup. Fideo soup is a great way to enjoy a classic Mexican dish, and its distinctive flavor will keep you coming back for more.
What are the health benefits of fideo soup?
Fideo soup offers a variety of health benefits, including:
- Improved Digestion: Fideo soup is high in fiber, which helps to promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation. Fiber can also help to regulate appetite, by making you feel fuller for longer.
- Heart Health: Rich in healthy fats, fideo soup can help to keep your cholesterol levels in check. Many of the components of fideo soup, such as garlic, onions and tomatoes, are also known to improve heart health.
- Immune system support: Many of the ingredients in fideo soup, such as garlic, onions and tomatoes, are known to have strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These can help to boost your immune system, allowing it to fight off infection more effectively.
- Weight loss: Fideo soup is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a great meal for those looking to lose weight. The fiber in the soup will help to fill you up, while the low-calorie content means that you can enjoy a hearty meal without eating too many calories.
What cultural influence has this dish had in latin american cuisine?
Fideo soup has had a major influence on Latin American cuisine. This Mexican dish is a staple in many of the region’s countries, from Mexico to Argentina, and its popularity has been increasing in recent years.
Fideo soup is a simple dish made by combining noodles, a broth, and vegetables. It is popular due to its ease of preparation and its ability to be customized with a variety of ingredients. It can also be enjoyed as a light meal or as part of a larger feast.
The popularity of Fideo soup in Latin America has been steadily increasing. This is due in large part to the dish’s simple ingredients and wide range of flavors. It can be prepared with a variety of meats, beans, and vegetables, giving it a unique flavor profile. Its versatile nature has made it a favorite of home cooks and professional chefs alike.
Fideo soup has also had an influence on the cultural landscape of Latin American countries. In Mexico, Fideo soup is served at special occasions such as birthdays and weddings, as a sign of celebration. This dish has also become a popular street food in many parts of the region, with vendors selling bowls of Fideo soup with an array of toppings.
In conclusion, Fideo soup has had a major influence on Latin American cuisine. Its simple ingredients and versatile flavor profile have made it a popular choice for home cooks and professional chefs alike. It has also had an influence on the cultural landscape of the region, with it being served at special occasions and as a popular street food.
What are the key ingredients that make fideo soup so delicious?
The key ingredients that make Fideo Soup so delicious are a combination of flavorful broth, vegetables, and noodles. The broth can be chicken, beef, or vegetable-based, depending on the recipe. Vegetables like onion, carrots, and celery are often added for texture, flavor, and nutrition. The noodles can be any type of small, thin pasta, such as vermicelli, angel hair, or fideo, which is the traditional choice. This combination of ingredients creates a flavorful and filling soup that is perfect for any occasion.
How can fideo soup be adapted to suit different dietary needs or preferences?
Fideo soup can easily be adapted to suit different dietary needs or preferences. Depending on the type of diet, there are several ways one can modify the soup to make it more suitable. For example, if someone is trying to eat a low-carb diet, they can reduce the amount of noodles used or replace them with a low-carb substitute. Additionally, vegetable-based broths can be used to make the soup vegetarian or vegan, while those looking for a lighter soup can opt for a clear broth. Additionally, certain ingredients, such as garlic and chili peppers, can be omitted or adjusted to create a milder flavor. Finally, toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and avocado can be added for extra flavor and texture. With these simple modifications, fideo soup can be tailored to fit any dietary need or preference.