I’ve been making this delicious Chicken and Tortilla Soup for years. It’s one of my go-to recipes when I’m looking for something flavorful yet quick and easy to prepare. It always turns out perfectly, and it’s a hit with everyone in my family. The combination of the savory chicken, flavorful tomatoes, and the crunchy tortilla strips creates a comforting and satisfying dish that you can’t resist. Try it out for yourself and see if you agree!
Chicken and Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilies, and corn. Stir to combine and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tortillas into strips and spread them on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Once the soup has finished cooking, stir in the cilantro and shredded cheese.
- Add the tortilla strips to the soup and serve. Enjoy your Chicken and Tortilla Soup!
- Calories: 500 kcal
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 44g
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 1800mg
- Cholesterol: 120mg
How can chicken and tortilla soup be made more flavorful?
Making chicken and tortilla soup more flavorful is easy! There are a few simple tricks you can use to bring out the flavor in this classic dish.
One way to make chicken and tortilla soup more flavorful is to add a variety of herbs and spices. Fresh herbs, like cilantro or parsley, add a bright, fresh flavor to the soup. Dried herbs, like oregano and cumin, give the soup a more complex, earthy flavor. Spices, like chili powder or smoked paprika, can give the soup a smoky, spicy kick.
Adding vegetables to the soup is another way to enhance its flavor. Carrots, celery, bell peppers, and onions all add a pop of sweetness and more texture to the soup. For an extra-savory flavor, try adding mushrooms or kale.
For a bit of acidity, try adding a splash of lime juice to the soup before serving. This will brighten the flavor and make it more vibrant. You can also add a dollop of sour cream, or a handful of grated cheese, for a creamy, rich note.
Finally, don’t forget to season the soup with salt and pepper. This will help bring out all the other flavors in the soup and make it even more delicious.
By following these simple tips, you can easily make chicken and tortilla soup more flavorful and enjoy a delicious meal.
What are the best accompaniments to serve with chicken and tortilla soup?
The best accompaniments to serve with chicken and tortilla soup are warm tortillas, diced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, crispy bacon bits, and lime wedges. These simple ingredients provide an array of flavors and textures that perfectly complement the soup’s spicy and savory flavors.
Warm tortillas are a great way to add a mild and slightly sweet flavor to the soup. They can be torn into strips and stirred into the soup, or served on the side as a scooping tool.
Diced avocado adds creamy texture and subtle nutty flavor to the soup. It pairs especially well with the smokiness of the tortilla strips. A dollop of sour cream adds a tangy flavor and cooling effect, balancing out the soup’s heat.
Shredded cheese, such as cheddar, adds a salty and creamy flavor. Chopped cilantro adds a bright and slightly lemony flavor that adds complexity to the soup. Crispy bacon bits add smokiness, crunch, and a salty flavor. Lastly, lime wedges provide a tart and refreshing flavor that cuts through the richness of the soup.
By adding any combination of these accompaniments, the flavors and textures of chicken and tortilla soup can be taken to the next level.
What are the health benefits of chicken and tortilla soup?
Chicken and Tortilla Soup is a nutritious and delicious meal that offers many health benefits.
- Rich in protein and vitamins: Chicken is a great source of lean protein and contains several essential vitamins, including vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and niacin. Tortillas are also a good source of these vitamins, as well as iron and folate.
- Low in calories and fat: Chicken and Tortilla Soup is usually low in calories and fat, making it a great choice for a healthy meal.
- High in fiber: Tortillas are a good source of fiber, which helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer and can help regulate your digestive system.
- Excellent source of antioxidants: Both chicken and tortillas are excellent sources of antioxidants, which help to protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Heart-healthy: The high levels of monounsaturated fats in chicken and tortillas make them a great choice for heart health.
- Boosts immune system: The combination of protein, vitamins and antioxidants makes Chicken and Tortilla Soup a great way to boost your immune system.
- Easy to make: This dish is easy to make and can be ready in no time.
By incorporating Chicken and Tortilla Soup into your diet, you can enjoy a nutritious and delicious meal that also offers many health benefits.
What are the main ingredients in chicken and tortilla soup?
Chicken and Tortilla Soup is a flavorful, hearty soup that typically combines chicken, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chicken broth, and either corn tortillas or pre-made tortilla chips. Additional ingredients may include olives, chilies, cilantro, and various spices. The type of ingredients used will vary depending on the recipe, so it is important to follow the recipe for the best results.
What is the best way to store and reheat leftovers of chicken and tortilla soup?
The best way to store and reheat leftovers of chicken and tortilla soup is to first cool the soup to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to reheat it, transfer the soup to a pot on the stove and heat it over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. If you prefer, you can also reheat the soup in a microwave-safe bowl, covered with a paper towel, for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Be sure to check the temperature before eating, as foods reheated in a microwave may not reach a safe temperature.
What are the most popular regional variations of chicken and tortilla soup?
One of the most popular regional variations of chicken and tortilla soup is Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup. This variation uses a base of chicken broth that is seasoned with garlic, onions, cumin, and chili powder, and usually contains a combination of cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Toppings like shredded cheese, diced avocados, sour cream, and crispy tortilla strips are often added for a final touch.
Another popular regional variation is Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup. This version often starts with a base of tomatillo sauce or salsa, and is typically seasoned with cilantro, cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Additional ingredients can include cooked chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and bell peppers. Toppings like crisp tortilla chips, shredded cheese, guacamole, and sour cream are often added as a finishing touch.
Finally, Tex-Mex Chicken Tortilla Soup is also popular. This variation typically begins with a base of chicken broth that has been seasoned with cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Additional ingredients can include cooked chicken, black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. Toppings like crispy tortilla strips, shredded cheese, diced avocados, sour cream, and cilantro are usually added for extra flavor.
How long does it take to prepare chicken and tortilla soup?
Preparing chicken and tortilla soup typically takes around 45 minutes.
To make a delicious pot of chicken and tortilla soup, you’ll need to assemble the ingredients, chop, sauté, simmer, and combine. In other words, you’ll need to dedicate a good chunk of time to making this meal.
The first step is to prepare all of the ingredients. This includes chopping onions and garlic, shredding the chicken, and grating the cheese. Once you have all of the ingredients prepped, it’s time to move on to the next step.
Next, you’ll need to sauté the onions and garlic in a pot with a little oil, until they are translucent. Then, add the chicken and sauté for a few more minutes.
Once the chicken is cooked, add the broth, tomatoes, seasonings, and beans. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
The last step is to add the cheese and tortillas. Let the soup simmer for another 10 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are soft.
When the soup is finished cooking, it’s ready to serve. All in all, it should take about 45 minutes to prepare a pot of delicious chicken and tortilla soup.