This chocolate pie recipe is from Bev’s grandma and it is a family favorite. The pie has a rich chocolate flavor and is perfect for any occasion.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie, prebaked for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup white sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a saucepan, whisk together brown sugar, cocoa powder and flour until there are no clumps.
3. Add evaporated milk and vanilla extract to the mixture and stir gently until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly then pour into the saucepan mixture while stirring constantly.
5. Add melted butter or margarine to the pan and heat on low while stirring constantly just until it is fully melted in – do not let it come to a boil!
6. Pour this chocolate filling into an unbaked 9 inch pie crust that has been prebaked for 10 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit beforehand.
7 8Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pie is no longer “wobbly” when shaken slightly side-to-side..
9 Once done, take out of oven but leave meringue ingredients at room temperature: 4 egg whites and 1/4 cup white sugar .
10 Beat egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually add sugar while beating constantly just until stiff peaks form.. Spread meringue evenly over top of pie .11 return Show More InstructionsReturn pie to
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated fat: 3.5 g
- Trans fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Sugar: 33 g
- Fiber:: 2g
- Protein:: 6g