I’ll never forget the first time I made this Puff Pastry Chicken and Leek Casserole – it was a huge hit with my family, and it quickly became a regular part of our dinner rotation. Not only is this dish flavorful and filling, it’s also surprisingly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of assembly, this casserole can be on the table in no time. Whether you’re looking for a comforting dinner on a busy weeknight or an impressive dish to bring to a potluck, this Puff Pastry Chicken and Leek Casserole is sure to please.
Puff Pastry Chicken And Leek Casserole Recipe
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and shallot, and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken thighs and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the leek, carrots, celery, tarragon, basil, pepper, bay leaves, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Pour the mixture into the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the heavy cream, mustard, and peas. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Unfold the puff pastry and cut into 12 equal pieces. Place the pieces on top of the casserole, overlapping slightly. Brush the top of the puff pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 piece
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 315 mg
- Cholesterol: 85 mg
The versatility of puff pastry by creating a savory and delicious casserole.
Creating a savory and delicious casserole with puff pastry is a great way to showcase its versatility. With its flaky textures, tender fillings and endless possibilities, puff pastry is a great vehicle for creating a variety of dishes. The puff pastry chicken and leek casserole is a delicious example of how versatile puff pastry can be.
This simple yet flavorful dish starts with a layer of flaky puff pastry as the base, followed by a filling of tender chicken, creamy leeks, and a variety of herbs and spices. The combination of flavors creates a rich, savory flavor that will tantalize the taste buds. The puff pastry and filling are then baked together in the oven until the pastry is golden and flaky, and the filling is bubbling and irresistible.
The beauty of this casserole is that the flavors and textures of the puff pastry and filling blend together perfectly. The flaky layers of puff pastry contrast beautifully with the tender and juicy chicken, while the creamy leeks add a hint of sweetness. The herbs and spices give it an added depth of flavor that makes this dish truly special.
The puff pastry chicken and leek casserole is a great way to showcase the versatility of puff pastry. It is simple to make, and yet the flavor and texture of the dish will wow any dinner guest. With this delicious dish, you can show off the possibilities of puff pastry in a savory and delicious way.
Introduce a hearty and comforting dish that can be prepped in advance and popped in the oven.
One of the best dishes to introduce to your family or dinner guests is a Puff Pastry Chicken And Leek Casserole. This comforting and hearty dish is easy to prepare in advance and can be popped in the oven for a tasty meal.
To make this delicious casserole, you will need one packet of ready-made puff pastry, chicken breasts, leeks, garlic, butter, flour, chicken stock, herbs, cream, and gruyere cheese. Start by preparing the chicken by cutting it into small cubes or strips and set aside. Chop the leeks and garlic, and melt the butter in a pan. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until softened.
Next, add the chicken and season with herbs. Sprinkle in some flour and stir until the chicken is coated. Pour in the chicken stock and cream and stir until thickened. Simmer for a few minutes and then transfer the mixture to a baking dish.
Top the mixture with slices of the puff pastry and sprinkle with grated gruyere cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Celsius for around 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the casserole is bubbling. Serve up with a side of vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a salad.
This Puff Pastry Chicken And Leek Casserole is a quick and easy meal that can be prepped in advance and popped in the oven for a hearty and comforting dinner. With minimal effort, you can have a delicious meal that your family and friends will love.
The nutritional benefits of combining chicken, leeks, and puff pastry.
Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, and is also packed with important vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, selenium, and vitamin B6.
- Leeks are a type of onion that are high in antioxidants, iron, and Vitamin K. They are also a good source of fiber and magnesium.
- Puff pastry is a type of dough that is layered with butter and baked, creating a flaky and light texture. Although it is high in calories and fat, it can provide a nutritional boost when combined with other ingredients.
- When combined, the chicken, leeks, and puff pastry create a delicious and nutritious meal. The protein in the chicken helps to keep you feeling full and energized, while the antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals in the leeks add a nutritional boost. The puff pastry adds a crunchy texture and a hint of sweetness to the dish.
- In addition to being a delicious meal, this combination of ingredients also provides essential nutrients, making it a great option for those looking to get the most out of their meal.
Tips on how to modify the casserole for dietary restrictions.
For those who are gluten-free, you can switch out the puff pastry for a gluten-free pastry such as shortcrust pastry.
- To make this casserole vegetarian, replace the chicken with mushrooms, and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- For those who are lactose-intolerant, use lactose-free cream or a combination of lactose-free cream and butter.
- To make this casserole vegan, switch out the chicken for a plant-based protein, such as tofu or tempeh, and use vegan cream or a combination of vegan cream and butter.
- For those who are following a low-carbohydrate diet, you can switch out the puff pastry for a keto-friendly pastry, such as almond flour pastry.
How to use puff pastry in a variety of meal options.
Using puff pastry to make a chicken and leek casserole is a great way to make a delicious, comforting meal that is both easy to prepare and impressive to serve. Puff pastry is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, from savory pies and tarts, to sweet turnovers and strudels. Here are a few tips on how to use puff pastry to make a delicious and impressive meal.
First, decide on the type of puff pastry you would like to use. There are several types of puff pastry available, from all butter puff pastry and vegan puff pastry, to gluten free puff pastry. Choose the type that best suits your dietary needs and preferences.
Once you have chosen the type of puff pastry you would like to use, you can begin to assemble your meal. When making a casserole, try cutting the puff pastry into small, ¼ inch squares, or alternatively, you can use a rolling pin to flatten the pastry and create a pastry crust. Then, layer your ingredients (in this case, the chicken and leeks) on the pastry and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Puff pastry is also great for making pies, tarts, strudels, and turnovers. When making pies and tarts, use the same technique as with the casserole and cut the puff pastry into small squares or flatten it and use it as a crust. When making strudels, cut the puff pastry into thin strips and layer the strips over a filling before baking. When making turnovers, fold the puff pastry into a triangle shape, fill with your desired ingredients, and bake until golden brown.
Using puff pastry is a great way to create delicious and impressive meals quickly and easily. Whether you are making a savory casserole, a sweet strudel, or a turnover, the possibilities are endless. Try experimenting with different types of puff pastry and fillings to create a meal your family and friends will love.