I love the warm, comforting flavors of this breakfast casserole. Whenever I make it for my family, it brings us together for a special morning meal. It’s so easy to prepare and fill with whatever ingredients you have on hand. I like to mix it up with different meats, cheeses, and veggies, but the basic recipe is always a hit. Try this breakfast casserole and enjoy a delicious, filling start to your day!
Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of frozen hash browns, thawed
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon and sausage until they are brown and crumbled.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, cheddar cheese, onion, bell pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Spread the thawed hash browns in the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread the cooked bacon and sausage over the hash browns.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the top of the bacon and sausage.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 8 servings
- Calories: 541
- Fat: 29 g
- Sodium: 753 mg
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 31 g
What are different variations of a breakfast casserole?
Breakfast casseroles come in many different variations, and all of them are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. From classic egg-based recipes to vegetarian options, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of the most popular variations of breakfast casseroles:
- Egg Casserole: This classic breakfast casserole is made with eggs, milk, cheese, and vegetables like peppers and onions. This is a great option if you’re looking for a hearty yet healthy breakfast.
- French Toast Casserole: This casserole features cubed French toast and is often topped with a sweet syrup glaze. It can be made with either white or wheat bread, and is perfect for those who like a sweeter start to their day.
- Potato and Sausage Casserole: This might be the most indulgent of the breakfast casserole variations. It’s made with potatoes, sausage, cheese, eggs, and vegetables. It’s a great option for those who need a good dose of protein in the morning.
- Vegetarian Casserole: This is a great option for those who don’t eat meat. It’s often made with eggs, cheese, and vegetables like mushrooms, peppers, and spinach. It’s a great way to get some nutrition in the morning without sacrificing flavor.
- Breakfast Burrito Casserole: This is a great option if you’re looking for something a bit heartier. It’s typically made with eggs, potatoes, cheese, and sausage. It’s often topped with salsa and sour cream, making it an especially flavorful breakfast dish.
No matter which variation of breakfast casserole you choose, it’s sure to be a hit. With so many different options, it’s easy to find something that everyone can enjoy.
What types of ingredients can be used in a breakfast casserole?
Breakfast casseroles can be made with a variety of ingredients, making them an ideal recipe for busy mornings. Common ingredients used in breakfast casseroles include eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, cheese, vegetables, and bread.
Eggs are a classic breakfast ingredient, and they act as a binding agent in casseroles. They are often combined with other ingredients such as potatoes, sausage, bacon, cheese, and vegetables. Potatoes, either diced or shredded, add a tasty and filling element to breakfast casseroles. For those who enjoy the savory flavors of breakfast meats, sausage and bacon are great additions. Cheese takes a casserole from good to great and can be used in combination with any of the other ingredients. Vegetables, such as peppers, onions, and spinach, add a nutritious element to the dish. Finally, bread, either cubed or torn into pieces, provides a crunchy texture and hearty flavor.
These are just some of the ingredients that can be used in a breakfast casserole. The possibilities are endless and can be tailored to taste. Try adding different combinations of ingredients to find the perfect flavor.
What are the benefits of a breakfast casserole?
The benefits of a breakfast casserole are that it is easy to prepare, can feed a large family or group, and can be eaten hot or cold.
- Easy to Prepare: Breakfast casseroles are typically made with simple ingredients and can be prepared in one pan. This makes them a great option for busy mornings or when you want to make a meal for a crowd.
- Feed a Crowd: Since casseroles are large, they are perfect for feeding a large family or group. Typically, one casserole can feed 4-6 people, depending on the size of the pan used.
- Eat Hot or Cold: Another advantage of breakfast casseroles is that they can be eaten hot out of the oven or as a cold dish. This makes them great for meal prepping and for a variety of occasions.
What are some tips for making the perfect breakfast casserole?
Gather all your ingredients before you begin. This will ensure that you have all the necessary items and save time when you start to assemble your breakfast casserole.
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified in your recipe. This will ensure that your casserole is cooked to the right temperature and doesn’t take too long to bake.
- Grease a baking dish with butter or oil before you start layering the ingredients. This will help the casserole not stick to the baking dish and make it easier to remove after baking.
- Use any combination of ingredients to create the perfect breakfast casserole. You can use eggs, cheese, sausage, bacon, potatoes, vegetables, and any other ingredients you like.
- Layer the ingredients in the baking dish in the order specified in your recipe. This will ensure that all the ingredients are cooked evenly and will help the casserole stay together.
- Bake the casserole until the top is golden brown and the eggs and cheese are cooked through. This will ensure that the casserole is cooked completely and has the perfect texture.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. This will help it set and will make it easier to cut and serve.
What are some creative ways to serve a breakfast casserole?
Breakfast casseroles are a great way to feed a crowd, as they can be made ahead of time and easily reheated. There are a variety of creative ways to serve a breakfast casserole that are sure to please a large gathering. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Make several individual portions. Divide the casserole into smaller portions and place each in a ramekin or other oven-safe dish. This is a great way to ensure each person has their own portion.
- Serve it with a side of eggs. Pair the breakfast casserole with some freshly cooked eggs for those who prefer a more traditional breakfast.
- Add a topping. A sprinkle of cheese, some fresh herbs, or a drizzle of hot sauce can take the casserole to the next level.
- Serve with a variety of sauces. Offer a selection of sauces to dip the casserole in, such as pesto, salsa, or even something sweet like syrup.
- Offer a build-your-own bar. Set up a bar with various toppings and sauces for guests to customize their casserole. This is a great way to please a variety of tastes.
No matter how you decide to serve the breakfast casserole, it is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
How long does it take to make a breakfast casserole?
It takes approximately an hour to make a breakfast casserole.
Preparing a breakfast casserole can turn a regular morning meal into a special occasion. From quick and easy dishes to elaborate overnight creations, this classic comfort food is a great way to start the day. The time it takes to make a casserole will depend on the recipe, but typically it will take around an hour from start to finish.
The first step in making a casserole is prepping the ingredients. This may include chopping vegetables, grating cheese, and cooking meats. Depending on the complexity of the dish, this process can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Once the ingredients are ready, they are combined in a baking dish and mixed together.
The second step is baking the casserole. Most recipes call for baking in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30 to 45 minutes. During this time, the dish should be covered in foil or a lid to prevent it from drying out. After the specified cooking time, you can remove the foil and continue to bake until the casserole is golden brown and bubbly.
Finally, the casserole should cool for around 15 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to marry and the dish to set. During this time, you can also prepare any side dishes or garnishes, such as a fresh salad or a dollop of sour cream.
In total, it takes about an hour to make a breakfast casserole. With a little bit of preparation and some time in the oven, you can whip up a delicious and hearty breakfast for your family or friends.
How can you customize a breakfast casserole for different dietary needs?
You can customize a breakfast casserole to suit different dietary needs by making substitutions to the ingredients. For example, if you are cooking for someone who is gluten-free, you can use gluten-free bread crumbs or oats in place of regular bread crumbs. Similarly, you can use dairy-free milk or egg substitutes instead of cow’s milk or eggs. Additionally, you can substitute vegetables and proteins to create vegetarian and vegan-friendly versions of the casserole. For example, you could use beans or mushrooms in place of bacon or sausage. Finally, you can add more spices and herbs to the casserole to add flavor and make it more interesting.