When I first tried these Vegan Cilantro-Lime Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos, I was amazed at how flavorful and delicious they were! The combination of cilantro, lime, sweet potato and black beans provided a unique and tasty flavor that was unlike anything I had ever tasted before. The tacos were easy to make and the ingredients were simple, yet the end result was absolutely mouth-watering. I’m sure you’ll love them as much as I did!
Vegan Cilantro-Lime Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: salsa, diced avocado, diced red onion, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, guacamole, vegan cheese, hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt on top and mix everything together until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the sweet potatoes are lightly browned and tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the black beans and lime juice and cook for 5-7 minutes until the beans are heated through.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cilantro, water, mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave or on a stovetop.
- To assemble the tacos, place a few spoonfuls of the sweet potato and black bean filling onto each tortilla. Top with salsa, diced avocado, diced red onion, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, guacamole, vegan cheese, and/or hot sauce.
- Serve the tacos warm with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Calories: 502
- Carbohydrates: 74 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 709 mg
- Potassium: 1164 mg
- Fiber: 14 g
- Sugar: 8 g
- Vitamin A: 12495 IU
- Vitamin C: 42 mg
- Calcium: 151 mg
- Iron: 4 mg
What are the best vegan substitutes for traditional taco fillings?
When it comes to vegan tacos, there are plenty of delicious and nutritious plant-based alternatives for traditional taco fillings. Some of the best vegan substitutes for traditional taco fillings include roasted sweet potato, black beans, grilled mushrooms, crumbled tempeh, and spiced lentils.
Roasted sweet potato is a great vegan alternative to beef or chicken. It provides a hearty and flavorful filling that pairs well with a variety of spices and seasonings. Sweet potatoes can be roasted in the oven or cooked in a skillet, and they’re a perfect base for tacos.
Black beans are another great vegan taco filling option. They’re high in fiber, protein, and other essential vitamins and minerals. They can be cooked in a pot on the stove, or mashed for a creamier texture. Either way, black beans make a great vegan taco filling.
Grilled mushrooms are an excellent vegan substitute for traditional taco fillings like ground beef. They are full of flavor and have a meaty texture that works well in tacos. Plus, mushrooms are high in protein and fiber, making them an excellent source of nutrition.
Tempeh is a fermented soybean product that makes a great vegan taco filling. It has a slightly nutty flavor and a chewy texture that’s reminiscent of ground beef. It’s also packed with protein and fiber, making it a healthy and filling option.
Finally, spiced lentils are a great vegan taco filling option. Lentils are high in protein and fiber, and they’re incredibly versatile. They can be cooked in a variety of styles and spiced to your liking. Lentils are a great way to add flavor, texture, and nutrition to your vegan tacos.
Overall, there are plenty of delicious and nutritious vegan substitutes for traditional taco fillings. Roasted sweet potato, black beans, grilled mushrooms, crumbled tempeh, and spiced lentils are just a few of the options that can be used to fill vegan tacos. With a little creativity, you can create delicious vegan tacos that are just as flavorful and satisfying as the traditional ones.
What are the benefits of vegan tacos?
The Benefits of Vegan Tacos:
- Low in fat: Unlike traditional tacos that are usually made with beef or chicken, vegan tacos are made with plant-based ingredients like black beans and sweet potatoes, which are naturally low in fat.
- High in fiber: Vegan tacos are packed with fiber-rich ingredients like black beans, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat tortillas. This can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer.
- Abundant in nutrients: By using ingredients like sweet potatoes, black beans, and leafy greens, vegan tacos are filled with essential vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium.
- Versatile: Vegan tacos can be made with a variety of ingredients so you can customize them to your liking. You can also add spices and herbs to give them more flavor.
- Delicious: Vegan tacos can be just as delicious as traditional tacos, if not more! With the right combination of ingredients and seasonings, vegan tacos can really hit the spot.
How do cilantro-lime and sweet potatoes add a unique flavor to tacos?
Cilantro-lime and sweet potatoes add a unique flavor to tacos by combining the refreshing flavor of cilantro, the tartness of lime, and the sweetness of sweet potatoes. These ingredients create a delicious and nutritious taco filling that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
Here are some ways in which cilantro-lime and sweet potatoes enhance the flavor of tacos:
- The combination of cilantro and lime creates a bright, citrusy flavor to the tacos.
- Sweet potatoes add a natural sweetness to the tacos, which helps to balance the tartness of the lime.
- The texture of the sweet potatoes also helps to create a more interesting filling for the tacos.
- The cilantro-lime flavor is a classic taco flavor that will appeal to just about everyone.
These vegan tacos are a great way to add something unique to your taco night. With a combination of cilantro-lime and sweet potatoes, you can create an enjoyable meal that is sure to please.
What are the health benefits of black beans?
The health benefits of black beans are numerous and cover a range of areas, from supporting heart health to aiding in digestion.
- Heart Health: Black beans are a great source of soluble fiber, which helps to reduce bad cholesterol levels in the blood and supports a healthy heart.
- Protein: Black beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making them an ideal choice for vegetarians and vegans.
- Digestion: Black beans are high in both soluble and insoluble fiber, which helps to keep the digestive tract running smoothly.
- Nutrients: Black beans are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and zinc.
- Antioxidants: Black beans are rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body from disease.
- Blood Sugar: The fiber in black beans helps to slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, making them a good choice for those with diabetes.
- Immunity: The antioxidants and vitamins in black beans help to boost the immune system and protect the body from illness.
In addition to these health benefits, black beans are a great addition to any meal, whether it’s a vegan taco or a traditional black bean chili. Their delicious flavor and health benefits make them a great choice for any meal.
How do you make vegan tacos that are still flavorful and satisfying?
To make vegan tacos that are flavorful and satisfying, you need to have the right ingredients and flavors.
- Start by preparing the sweet potatoes: preheat the oven to 400 degrees, peel and cube the sweet potatoes, and toss with olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Roast the sweet potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- For the black beans, drain and rinse a can of black beans and sauté with some minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare the cilantro-lime sauce. Combine vegan mayonnaise with freshly chopped cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and salt.
- To assemble your vegan tacos, warm up your tortillas and fill with the roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and cilantro-lime sauce.
- Top with diced tomatoes, avocado, and extra cilantro for a flavorful and satisfying vegan taco.
What are some creative ways to include vegan tacos in a meal?
There are many creative ways to incorporate vegan tacos into a meal. One option is to make vegan tacos the main entree. The vegan Cilantro-Lime Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos are a delicious and nutritious option that can easily be served as the main dish. The sweet potato and black bean filling provides a source of plant-based protein and fiber, while the cilantro-lime dressing adds bright and flavorful notes.
Another creative way to include vegan tacos in a meal is to make them as a side dish. The tacos can be prepared in advance and served with a variety of other dishes such as rice, salad, or roasted vegetables. The tacos will act as a flavorful companion to the other dishes and add a uniquely delicious twist to the meal.
Vegan tacos can also be used to create unique appetizers. Try making bite-sized tacos that can be served as a tasty prelude to the main course. The tacos can be filled with a variety of ingredients such as vegan cheese, beans, and vegetables. This will create a fun and flavorful way to start off the meal.
Finally, vegan tacos can also be used to make a great breakfast or brunch dish. The tacos can be filled with ingredients such as tofu scramble, roasted vegetables, and vegan cheese. This is a great way to start the morning with a delicious and healthy meal.
Vegan tacos are a great way to add nutrition and flavor to any meal. With a little creativity, vegan tacos can easily be incorporated into a variety of dishes. Whether served as a main entree, side dish, appetizer, or breakfast dish, vegan tacos are sure to be a hit.