Delicious Sweet And Savory Hasselback Butternut Squash Recipe
As a fan of butternut squash, I am always looking for new and creative ways to enjoy it. I recently discovered the delicious Sweet and Savory Hasselback Butternut Squash and it quickly became a favorite. This flavorful and easy-to-make dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors. It’s a great way to get my veggie fix, and is sure to be a hit at any gathering or special occasion. I’m excited to share this recipe with you and I know you’ll love it as much as I do.
Sweet and Savory Hasselback Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 large butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the large butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Brush the butternut squash halves with the oil and spice mixture, ensuring that the mixture is spread evenly over the squash.
- Place the butternut squash halves on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, make the topping. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans, and 2 tablespoons of chopped dried cranberries.
- After the squash has been baking for 35 minutes, remove it from the oven and carefully make hasselback slices by slicing the squash into thin slices, but not cutting all the way through the squash.
- After the hasselback slices have been made, spread the topping evenly over the top of the squash.
- Place the squash back in the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Sugar: 14g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
What makes hasselback butternut squash so special?
What makes Hasselback butternut squash so special? It’s simple – the combination of sweet and savory flavors, the versatility of the dish, and the showstopping presentation.
Hasselback butternut squash is a fantastic side dish that is surprisingly easy to make. The sweet, nutty flavor of the butternut squash is complemented with savory herbs, spices, and other ingredients. Whether you’re adding some Parmesan cheese for a cheesy twist, or some garlic and olive oil for a classic flavor, the possibilities are endless.
The great thing about Hasselback butternut squash is how versatile it is. It pairs well with almost any main dish, and you can customize it to your liking. If you’re looking for something more light and fresh, top the squash with some sliced tomatoes and fresh herbs. If you’re more of a fan of comfort food, try layering it with some crispy bacon and melted cheese.
Finally, Hasselback butternut squash makes for an impressive presentation. The unique Hasselback cut creates an eye-catching display that will wow your guests. You can even top the squash with a sprinkle of colorful ingredients, like pomegranate seeds or chopped nuts, to really make it stand out.
So, what makes Hasselback butternut squash so special? It’s the combination of sweet and savory flavors, the versatility of the dish, and the showstopping presentation. With these three things, you can create an unforgettable side dish that’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
How can you create a sweet and savory flavor profile?
You can create a sweet and savory flavor profile in many different ways. The easiest way to do so is by combining ingredients that bring out the sweetness and savoriness of a dish. For example, sweet and savory hasselback butternut squash is a delicious way to combine sweet and savory flavors. The combination of butter, garlic, sage, and honey make this dish an irresistible flavor combination.
To make the sweet and savory version of this dish, you’ll need to start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Next, you’ll want to cut your butternut squash lengthwise, making sure to leave the stem intact. After that, you’ll need to drizzle the squash with melted butter, garlic, sage, and honey. Then, place the squash in a baking dish, and bake for about 30 minutes.
Once the squash is finished baking, you’ll be able to taste the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors. The sweetness from the honey and the savory from the garlic and sage will be quite evident. Let the squash cool before serving, and enjoy the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors.
How do you cut and prepare the butternut squash?
You can cut and prepare the butternut squash with ease! Here’s how:
- Start by setting your squash on a cutting board and slicing off the top and bottom of the squash.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
- Slice the squash into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick.
- Place your slices on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes.
What kitchen tools do you need to make hasselback butternut squash?
If you’re looking to make a delicious and healthy Hasselback Butternut Squash, you’ll need a few basic kitchen tools. To get started, you’ll need a cutting board, a sharp knife, a spoon, and a baking sheet.
A cutting board is essential for prepping the squash. You’ll need a sturdy board that won’t slide around, especially if you’re slicing the squash into thin slices. A sharp knife is also necessary for cutting the squash into thin slices. You’ll want a knife that is long enough to slice through the squash.
A spoon is also an important tool – you’ll need it to scoop out the seeds. A spoon with a sharp edge works best for this task. Finally, you’ll need a baking sheet to bake the squash. Make sure it is large enough to accommodate the squash.
With these basic kitchen tools, you’ll be able to make a delicious Hasselback Butternut Squash.
What other toppings can you add to hasselback butternut squash?
You can add all sorts of delicious toppings to your Hasselback Butternut Squash! Depending on whether you’re looking for something sweet or something savory, you can top your squash in a variety of ways.
If you’re looking for something sweet, you could sprinkle a handful of brown sugar, diced pecans, and dried cranberries on top. This combination adds a sweet crunch that complements the sweetness of the squash. For a smooth and creamy topping, you could try a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Both of these will add just the right amount of sweetness to the squash.
For a savory topping, you can sprinkle a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese over the top. This will add a salty kick and a pleasant crunch. If you’re looking for something with a bit of a zing, you could also try adding some freshly chopped herbs, like rosemary or oregano. This combination adds a bright and herby flavor that pairs perfectly with the squash.
Regardless of what toppings you choose, your Hasselback Butternut Squash is sure to be a hit! The combination of sweet and savory flavors will be sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.