I’m so excited to share with you my favorite recipe for homemade strawberry compote! This delicious and easy-to-make treat always brings a smile to my face. I remember the first time I made this compote, I was so proud of myself for being able to create this sweet dish with minimal effort. The combination of tart strawberries and fragrant vanilla always makes my mouth water. I swear it’s the best compote I’ve ever tasted! So if you’re looking for a fun and delicious dessert to make at home, then look no further than my favorite strawberry compote.
Strawberry Compote Recipe
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Start by washing and hulling 2 lbs of fresh strawberries. Slice them into small pieces and place into a medium sized pot.
- Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the pot with the strawberries. Stir the ingredients together.
- Place the pot on medium heat and bring the contents to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, mix together 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and add it to the pot. Stir the contents of the pot until the mixture becomes thickened.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let the compote cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve the strawberry compote warm, or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!
- Calories: 156 kcal
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Protein: 1g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Sugar: 33g
What is a compote and why should you make it?
A compote is a dessert made by boiling fruit in sugar syrup. It is a sweet, flavorful dish that can be enjoyed either warm or cold. Making a compote is a great way to use up leftover fruit, as it can be made with any type of berry, stone fruit, or citrus.
The beauty of a compote lies in its versatility. Not only can it be used as a topping for ice cream and waffles, but it can also be served as a side dish or even used in recipes such as cakes and muffins. The syrup from the compote can also be used as a glaze for other desserts, such as pastries and cookies.
Making a compote is also a great way to add an extra layer of flavor to dishes. By using different fruits and spices, you can create a unique flavor profile that will add complexity to your dish. The sweetness of the compote will also help to balance out the flavors of a savory dish, making it a great accompaniment to any meal.
Finally, a compote is a great way to enjoy seasonal fruits. You can create a compote with any type of fruit, but you can also choose to use fruits that are in season for a delicious and nutritious dish.
Whether you are looking for a quick dessert or a flavorful addition to a meal, a compote is a great option. With its versatility and ease of preparation, it is no wonder why compotes have been a staple of the culinary world for centuries.
What are the benefits of a strawberry compote?
The Benefits of a Strawberry Compote include:
- Increased nutrition and vitamins: Strawberries are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C and potassium, as well as antioxidants that can help with digestion and protect against certain diseases. By making a compote, you can retain these nutrients while still enjoying a delicious treat.
- Versatility: Compotes are highly versatile, and can be used in a variety of dishes, from cakes and pies to smoothies and yogurt. They can also be used as a topping for ice cream or pancakes.
- Economical: Making a compote is relatively inexpensive and can last for several days in the fridge, making it a great way to save money while still enjoying a tasty treat.
- Easy to make: Compotes can be made quickly and easily with minimal ingredients, making them great for anyone looking for an easy way to add a bit of sweetness to their meals.
How can you serve a strawberry compote?
Serving a strawberry compote is easy and can be done in several ways. You can serve it as a topping for pancakes or waffles, as a side with a main meal, or as a dessert. Here are some ideas for how to serve a strawberry compote:
- As a Pancake Topping: To use strawberry compote as a topping for pancakes or waffles, warm the compote in a small saucepan over low heat until it thickens to a syrupy consistency. Serve the compote over pancakes or waffles for a sweet and delicious breakfast.
- As a Side Dish: To serve strawberry compote as a side dish, warm it in a saucepan over low heat until it thickens and is heated through. Serve it alongside grilled or roasted meats, such as pork tenderloin, chicken, or salmon.
- As a Dessert: To serve strawberry compote as a dessert, spoon it into individual dishes and top with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. This is a simple and delicious way to end a meal.
No matter how you choose to serve it, strawberry compote is sure to be a hit. With its sweet and tart flavor, it is the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
What ingredients do you need to make a strawberry compote?
To make a delicious strawberry compote, you will need the following ingredients: strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and water.
Strawberries are the star of the show in this compote recipe – you’ll need about three cups of fresh, ripe strawberries. Make sure you wash them thoroughly and hull them before you begin.
Sugar is used to sweeten the compote, and you will need about 1/4 cup. You can use either white granulated sugar, or a sugar substitute such as honey or maple syrup.
Lemon juice adds a tart flavor to the compote and helps to balance the sweetness of the sugar. You’ll need just a few teaspoons of lemon juice.
Finally, you’ll need 1/2 cup of water, which you’ll add to the pot with the strawberries and sugar. The water helps to thin out the compote and keep it from becoming too thick.
Once you have all your ingredients, you’re ready to make your strawberry compote.
What is the best way to cook a strawberry compote?
The best way to cook a strawberry compote is to simmer the strawberries in a mixture of sugar, water, and lemon juice. This allows the flavors of the strawberries to mingle with the sweetness of the sugar and the tartness of the lemon juice.
To begin, heat a saucepan on medium heat and add 2 cups of sliced strawberries, ½ cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, and the juice of one lemon. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves and then bring it to a low simmer. Let the compote cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and reduces.
Once the desired consistency is reached, turn off the heat and let the compote cool. It should last up to a week in the refrigerator. Serve the strawberry compote over ice cream, yogurt, cake, or on its own. It can also be used as a topping for pancakes or waffles, or even mixed into a smoothie.
How long does it take to make a strawberry compote?
It typically takes about 10 minutes to make a strawberry compote. However, the exact amount of time needed will depend on the size of the batch and the recipe used.
A strawberry compote is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed on its own or as a topping for various desserts. It is made by gently simmering diced strawberries with sugar and other flavorings, such as spices and citrus zest, until the mixture thickens and the strawberries become soft and juicy.
The exact amount of time needed to make a strawberry compote will depend on the size of the batch and the recipe used. For a small batch, it should take no more than 10 minutes. For a larger batch, it can take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes.
When making a strawberry compote, it is important to start with fresh, flavorful strawberries. The fresher the strawberries, the more flavor the compote will have. Additionally, the type of sugar used can affect the amount of time needed to make a strawberry compote. White sugar will dissolve more quickly than brown sugar, and so it will require less cooking time.
To ensure the best results, be sure to keep an eye on the strawberry compote as it simmers. If it starts to look too thick, add a little water or juice to thin it out. If it isn’t thick enough, allow it to simmer for a few more minutes.
Once the strawberry compote has reached the desired consistency, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool before serving. Enjoy it on its own, or use it as a topping for cakes, crepes, or ice cream.
What are some creative variations of a strawberry compote?
Strawberry compote is a delicious dessert topping that adds a sweet and tart flavor to a variety of dishes. There are many creative ways to make a strawberry compote, each with its own unique flavor. Here are some ideas for creating a delicious strawberry compote:
- Add a splash of orange or lemon juice to give your compote a subtle citrus flavor.
- Mix in some fresh or frozen raspberries to add a bit of tartness.
- Add a bit of fresh mint to give the compote a refreshing and herbal flavor.
- Swap out the sugar for a different sweetener such as honey or maple syrup.
- Infuse the compote with spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg.
- For a richer flavor, add a splash of cream or almond milk.
- Top the compote with a sprinkle of toasted nuts or coconut flakes.
With a few simple modifications, you can easily transform your strawberry compote into something special. Experiment with different flavors and combinations to create something unique and delicious.