Whether you’re looking for an easy snack to take on a hike or a delicious dessert to enjoy at home, these Side of the Trail Cookies are the perfect treat! Made with just a few simple ingredients, they come together quickly and make a great addition to any picnic or potluck.
- 1 ½ cups vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and peanut butter together. Add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla, and mix well.
3. Combine oats, flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, then add to creamed mixture and mix well again.
4. Add chocolate chips to the mixture and mix in well once more.
5. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass if desired, and bake for 12 minutes or until done.”
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 17g
- Protein: 2.5g