As a seafood lover, I have always been a fan of tacos. But my favorite type of taco is the Shrimp and Bean Tacos. I remember the first time I tasted this delicious dish.
I was at a small taco stand near the beach and I wanted to try something different. When I saw the Shrimp and Bean Tacos on the menu, I knew I had to give it a try.
I was pleasantly surprised by the combination of the savory shrimp, creamy beans, and flavorful spices. From then on, I was hooked!
Now I make sure I always have the ingredients on hand so I can whip up a batch of these tacos whenever I want. The flavor is unbeatable and they’re always a hit!
Shrimp and Bean Tacos Recipe
- 12-15 small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup cooked black beans
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the shrimp, olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Place the shrimp on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the shrimp is cooking, warm the tortillas in the oven or on the stovetop.
- Once the shrimp is cooked, assemble the tacos by adding the cooked black beans, diced tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, red onion, avocado, salsa, and sour cream to each tortilla.
- Serve the tacos warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 350
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 590mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 16g
What type of beans are best for shrimp and bean tacos?
Black beans are the most popular type of beans for shrimp and bean tacos. Their hearty texture and mild flavor are the perfect complement to the delicate flavor of shrimp, and they provide a great source of protein and fiber. If you prefer a more robust flavor, pinto beans are also a great option. Their slightly sweet taste and richer texture will add an extra layer of flavor to the tacos. Refried beans are another great choice for shrimp and bean tacos. They have a creamy texture and a smoky flavor that will stand out against the delicate shrimp. No matter which type of beans you choose, you’re sure to have a delicious and healthy taco meal.
What are the health benefits of shrimp and bean tacos?
The health benefits of shrimp and bean tacos include:
- High in Protein: Shrimp provides a lean source of protein, while beans offer a plant-based protein source. Together, they make a great combination that can help keep you full and satisfied.
- Low Fat and Low Calorie: Shrimp and beans are both very low in fat and calories, making them a great choice for those looking to maintain or lose weight.
- High in Vitamins and Minerals: Shrimp and beans are also high in vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin K, iron, magnesium and potassium. These nutrients can help boost your immune system and keep you healthy.
- Good Source of Fiber: Beans and shrimp both provide good sources of fiber, which can help keep your digestive system running smoothly. Fiber can also help you feel full and satisfied for longer.
- Low Cholesterol: Shrimp is a low-cholesterol food, meaning it can help reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Low Sodium: Shrimp and beans are both naturally low in sodium, making them a healthier alternative to processed foods.
- Low Carb: Shrimp and beans contain few carbohydrates, making them great options for those on a low carb diet.
What are some tips for making shrimp and bean tacos?
Start with a good quality taco shell—corn is traditional, but you can also use flour or whole wheat shells.
- Use cooked, peeled shrimp for your filling.
- Warm the shrimp in a pan with olive oil, garlic, and chili powder.
- For extra flavor, top the tacos with cilantro, lime juice, and salsa.
- To add a bit of crunch, top the tacos with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sliced avocado.
- If you want to add a little protein, black beans are a great choice.
- Serve with a side of Mexican-style rice or tortilla chips.
How do you know when the shrimp and bean tacos are done cooking?
When the shrimp and bean tacos are done cooking, you will know because:
- The shrimp will be completely opaque, with a firm texture.
- The bean filling will be hot and bubbling.
- The taco shells will be lightly browned and crisp.
- If a thermometer is used, the internal temperature of the tacos should reach 165°F.
How can the flavor of shrimp and bean tacos be enhanced?
Enhancing the flavor of shrimp and bean tacos is easy with the addition of flavorful ingredients. To begin, a combination of garlic and chili powder can be used to give the tacos a spicy kick. Fresh cilantro, diced onion and lime juice can also be added to the tacos to give them a zesty, citrusy flavor. Other ingredients that can be used to enhance the flavor of shrimp and bean tacos include diced tomatoes, diced bell peppers, freshly grated cheese, salsa, sour cream, and avocado slices. By experimenting with different combinations of these ingredients, you can create a unique flavor for each taco that is sure to please.
What type of tacos shells are best for shrimp and bean tacos?
Soft shell tacos are the best option for shrimp and bean tacos. Soft shells are light and pliable, allowing them to wrap around the ingredients of the tacos more easily. Soft shells also tend to absorb the flavors of the fillings, making them a great choice for shrimp and bean tacos. Additionally, they are easier to bite into and consume than hard shells.
When selecting soft shell tacos, look for corn or flour tortillas that are thin and flexible. Corn tortillas are the traditional choice for tacos and have a robust flavor that pairs well with shrimp and beans. Flour tortillas are also delicious and tend to be less fragile than corn tortillas, making them easier to fill and serve.
When preparing shrimp and bean tacos, make sure to lightly warm the soft shells before filling them. This will make them easier to fold and will allow them to better absorb the flavors of the filling. Additionally, adding a few drops of oil or butter to the shells before heating them can help increase their flavor.
Finally, don’t forget to garnish your tacos with a variety of fresh ingredients. Chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado are all great additions that will add texture and flavor to your tacos.
Soft shell tacos are the ideal choice for shrimp and bean tacos. Look for corn or flour tortillas that are thin and flexible, and remember to lightly warm the shells and add a few drops of oil or butter before serving. With a few fresh garnishes, your shrimp and bean tacos will be the perfect meal.
What other ingredients can be added to shrimp and bean tacos?
When it comes to creating delicious shrimp and bean tacos, there are plenty of ingredients that can be added to enhance the flavor and texture. Popular additions include diced tomatoes, jalapenos, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. For a spicy kick, consider adding hot sauce or chopped onion, or adding a dollop of sour cream for a cooling and creamy contrast. For added crunch, consider adding crushed tortilla chips or crunchy slaw, as well as diced bell peppers or crunchy lettuce. Additionally, adding a variety of spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika can add a lot of flavor to the tacos.