I can still remember the moment when I first tasted this Orange Vegetable Beef Stir-Fry. It was a cold winter night and I was looking for something to warm me up. I had seen the recipe on a cooking show and decided to give it a try. Little did I know that this would become one of my favorite dishes and a staple in my household.
The combination of the juicy beef, crunchy vegetables and sweet orange sauce was absolutely mouth-watering. With just a few simple ingredients, the dish was surprisingly easy to make and took very little time. I knew that I had stumbled upon something special and I couldn’t wait to share it with my friends and family.
Orange Vegetable Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1. 12 ounces boneless beef top sirloin steak
- 2. 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3. 2 oranges, zested and juiced, divided
- 4. 1 tablespoon honey
- 5. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6. 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 7. 1 small head purple cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8. 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced into bite-sized strips
- 9. 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
- 10. 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 11. 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 12. ½ teaspoon salt
- 13. 2 cups steamed cauliflower rice
- 14. 4 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 15. 1 pinch crushed red pepper, or to taste
- Cut the beef into small cubes and place in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together soy sauce, juice from one orange, honey, and cornstarch. Pour the mixture over the beef, stir to combine and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and marinade to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the beef is cooked through.
- Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the cauliflower, bell peppers, carrot, ginger, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beef back to the skillet, along with the orange zest, juice from the remaining orange, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the stir-fry over steamed cauliflower rice, garnished with green onions. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 245
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Sodium: 866mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.8g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sugar: 9.8g
- Protein: 19.4g
How can orange vegetable beef stir-fry be used to create a healthy, balanced meal?
Orange Vegetable Beef Stir-Fry can be used to create a healthy, balanced meal by making sure that all of the ingredients are nutritious and balanced in terms of macronutrients.
For a balanced, healthy meal, the stir-fry should include lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Lean beef, such as sirloin or round steak, can provide protein, while beans, such as kidney beans or black beans, can add complex carbohydrates. Healthy fats can be added by incorporating oil, such as peanut or sesame oil, and nuts, like peanuts or cashew nuts. Vegetables, such as carrots, celery, peppers, onions, and mushrooms, can also be added for added vitamins and minerals.
To make the stir-fry even more nutritious, whole-grain noodles or brown rice can be used instead of white rice. Additionally, adding fresh herbs and spices, such as garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, can add flavor and health benefits, such as improved digestion, anti-inflammatory properties, and increased metabolism.
For a complete meal, Orange Vegetable Beef Stir-Fry can be served with a side salad, cooked vegetables, or a piece of fresh fruit. This will ensure that the meal is balanced and provides all the essential nutrients necessary for optimal health.
What ingredients can be used to customize orange vegetable beef stir-fry?
When it comes to customizing your orange vegetable beef stir-fry, the possibilities are endless. From different types of vegetables, to different spices and sauces, you can add a variety of ingredients to make your stir-fry unique. Here are some ingredients you can use to customize your orange vegetable beef stir-fry:
- Vegetables: Choose a variety of vegetables to add color and flavor to your stir-fry. Popular vegetables to add include carrots, peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms.
- Spices: To give your stir-fry a flavor boost, add some of your favorite spices. Examples of spices that work well in a stir-fry include cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garlic powder.
- Sauces: To add a bit of sweetness and tanginess, consider adding a few sauces to your stir-fry. Popular sauce choices are soy sauce, oyster sauce, and hoisin sauce.
- Nuts: Give your stir-fry an extra crunch by adding some nuts to the mix. Common nuts used in stir-fries include cashews, almonds, and peanuts.
With these ingredients, you can customize your orange vegetable beef stir-fry to your liking. Experiment with different combinations of vegetables, spices, sauces, and nuts to make a dish that’s unique and delicious.
What nutritional benefits does orange vegetable beef stir-fry provide?
Orange Vegetable Beef Stir-Fry is a nutritious dish that provides several important health benefits. Specifically, it contains:
- High levels of protein: The beef in the stir-fry is a great source of protein, which is essential for muscle repair and growth.
- Healthy carbohydrates: The veggies provide complex carbohydrates, which provide the body with energy and help keep blood sugar levels balanced.
- Vitamins and minerals: The orange vegetables contain vitamins C, A and E, as well as iron and zinc, which are important for a healthy diet.
- Fiber: The vegetables also provide dietary fiber, which is essential for proper digestion and can help reduce cholesterol levels.
- Healthy fats: The beef provides the body with healthy fats, which are important for maintaining cell health and keeping the heart healthy.
Overall, Orange Vegetable Beef Stir-Fry is an excellent dish that provides the body with a variety of essential nutrients.
What are some tips for making the perfect orange vegetable beef stir-fry?
Use fresh ingredients: Start with fresh vegetables, lean beef, and fresh oranges. Avoid canned or frozen ingredients for the best flavor.
- Choose the right cuts of beef: For the best texture and flavor, opt for sirloin, flank steak, or tenderloin. Cut the beef into thin slices and marinate in soy sauce, rice wine, and sesame oil for 10 minutes.
- Cut the vegetables into even pieces: To ensure even cooking, cut the vegetables into similar sizes. For the orange vegetables, such as bell peppers, use a sharp knife to create uniform, thin slices.
- Use a high-quality cooking oil: Heat a pan with a high-quality cooking oil, such as canola or vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the vegetables: After the beef is cooked, add the vegetables to the pan. Stir-fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the oranges: Once the vegetables are cooked, add the oranges to the pan. Stir-fry for an additional minute.
- Add the sauce: To finish the stir-fry, add a sauce made from orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and a dash of red pepper flakes. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve: Serve the orange vegetable beef stir-fry over a bed of rice or noodles.
What are the advantages of cooking orange vegetable beef stir-fry in a wok?
Cooking orange vegetable beef stir-fry in a wok can bring several advantages. The most notable advantage is that its curved shape and large cooking surface provide plenty of room to mix and stir ingredients while keeping them in motion. This helps to ensure that food cooks evenly and quickly, while also preventing it from sticking to the bottom of the wok.
The shape of a wok also allows chefs to use much higher cooking temperatures than they would with a flat-bottomed pan. This means that the ingredients in an orange vegetable beef stir-fry can be cooked in a very short amount of time, allowing for quick and easy preparation. The high heat also helps to caramelize and char the vegetables, creating a more flavorful and visually appealing dish.
In addition to the practical advantages, a wok is also easy to use and very versatile. It can be used to stir-fry, deep-fry, steam, braise, or even poach foods. This makes it a great choice for chefs looking to create a variety of delicious and healthy dishes.
In conclusion, cooking orange vegetable beef stir-fry in a wok can be an excellent way to quickly and easily create a flavorful and nutritious meal. The curved shape and large cooking surface of the wok helps to ensure that the ingredients are cooked evenly and quickly. The high temperatures used when cooking in a wok also helps to caramelize and char the vegetables, creating a richer flavor. And lastly, a wok is very versatile and can be used to prepare a variety of dishes.