There’s nothing quite like the summertime flavor of Old Bay Corn On The Cob. Growing up, my family would always make this recipe for special occasions and family gatherings. The smell of the Old Bay spice and the buttery taste of the corn on the cob were always a hit.
Old Bay Corn On The Cob Recipe
- 1. 4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 2. 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®), divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the husks and silks from the ears of corn.
- Place the ears of corn on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the seafood seasoning over the corn.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of seafood seasoning over the corn.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 ear of corn
- Calories: 80
- Fat: 0g
- Carbs: 17g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 490mg
What makes old bay the perfect seasoning for corn on the cob?
Old Bay seasoning is the perfect addition to a summer favorite, corn on the cob. This classic blend of herbs and spices adds a unique flavor to the sweet taste of corn and makes it a delicious and flavorful experience.
Old Bay seasoning is a blend of 18 herbs and spices, including mustard, celery salt, paprika, bay leaves, and red pepper. These ingredients combine to create a unique flavor that adds depth to the sweetness of corn on the cob. The combination of the spices and herbs also adds a bit of heat, making it the perfect balance of flavors.
In addition to its delicious flavor, Old Bay seasoning is an easy way to add some variety to your summer meals. You can sprinkle it on your corn before cooking it, or you can mix it into the melted butter you use to coat the cooked corn. You can also use it to add flavor to your favorite side dishes, like potato salad or coleslaw.
Old Bay seasoning is a versatile and flavorful addition to your summer grilling. With its unique blend of spices, it is the perfect way to bring some extra flavor to your corn on the cob. Whether you are grilling for a family gathering or just for yourself, Old Bay seasoning is a must-have for your summer cookouts.
How does old bay enhance the flavor and texture of corn on the cob?
Old Bay seasoning can bring out the flavor and texture of corn on the cob in a few different ways:
- Spicy, salty, and savory: Old Bay seasoning is a blend of spices that adds flavor to corn on the cob. The seasoning is slightly spicy, salty, and savory, which helps to enhance the flavor of the corn.
- Enhances texture: Old Bay seasoning also helps to enhance the texture of the corn on the cob. The seasoning adds a crunchy texture that pairs nicely with the sweet and tender texture of the corn.
- Adds a smoky flavor: Old Bay seasoning also adds a smoky flavor to the corn on the cob. The smokiness of the seasoning helps to bring out the sweetness of the corn and create an even more flavorful dish.
- Enhances the color: Finally, Old Bay seasoning can help to enhance the color of the corn on the cob. The seasoning adds a yellow hue to the corn, which adds a nice visual touch to the dish.
In conclusion, Old Bay seasoning can help to enhance the flavor and texture of corn on the cob by adding a spicy, salty, savory flavor, enhancing the texture, adding a smoky flavor, and enhancing the color.
What are the health benefits of eating old bay seasoned corn on the cob?
The health benefits of eating Old Bay seasoned corn on the cob include:
- High fiber content: Corn on the cob is a great source of fiber, which can help to keep your digestive system healthy and improve your overall health. Old Bay seasoning adds to the fiber content, making it an even healthier choice.
- Low calorie: Corn on the cob is naturally low in calories, and when seasoned with Old Bay, it contains even fewer calories. This makes it a great choice for those looking to watch their waistlines.
- Nutritional value: Corn on the cob is a great source of essential vitamins and minerals. Adding Old Bay seasoning can help to boost the nutritional value even more, making it an even healthier choice.
- Taste: Old Bay seasoning adds a unique and delicious flavor to corn on the cob, making it a tasty and healthy snack.
What other ingredients can be used in combination with old bay to create unique flavors?
Old Bay is an incredibly versatile seasoning, and it can be used in combination with other ingredients to create unique and flavorful dishes. Common ingredients used in combination with Old Bay to make a delicious corn on the cob include butter, mayonnaise, and Parmesan cheese. For a zesty twist, you can also add a squeeze of lime juice or hot sauce. To add a bit of sweetness, try mixing honey into the butter before spreading it on the corn. For a smoky flavor, sprinkle some smoked paprika on the corn before adding the Old Bay. If you’re looking for something a bit more exotic, try mixing some curry powder, cumin, or garlic powder into the seasoning.
How can old bay corn on the cob be served as a side dish or main dish?
Old Bay Corn on the Cob can be served as both a side dish and a main dish. As a side dish, it can be boiled or grilled as is, and served with butter, salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. As a main dish, Old Bay Corn on the Cob can be cut off the cob and tossed in a salad, mixed with melted butter and herbs and served over pasta, or mixed with other vegetables and served as a soup or a chowder. It can also be served with a variety of sauces or toppings, such as cheese, sour cream, and bacon. No matter how it’s served, Old Bay Corn on the Cob is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.