This is Margaret’s Southern Chocolate Pie recipe. It is a classic chocolate pie that has been passed down in her family for generations. The filling is made with dark chocolate, eggs, sugar, and cream, and the crust is a flaky pastry dough. This pie is best served cold or at room temperature.
- -1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- -1/4 cup all purpose flour
- -3 egg yolks
- -1 1/3 cups white sugar
- -1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- -3 tablespoons butter
- -1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- -3 egg whites
- -1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sift together the cocoa powder and flour, then pour into a saucepan.
3. Whisk together the egg yolks and 1 1/3 cups sugar, then add to the evaporated milk while whisking constantly.
4. Pour mixture into the saucepan while whisking until combined, then cook over medium heat for 15 minutes while stirring constantly with a flat-bottomed wooden spoon or spatula.
5. Remove custard from heat and stir in butter until melted, then pour filling into baked pie crust.
6. To make meringue topping: combine egg whites and cream of tartar in clean glass or metal bowl, beat with electric mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form–lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks when done correctly . Spread meringue over chocolate filling .
7 Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until tips of meringue peaks are golden brown
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 430
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated fat: 9 g
- Unsaturated fat: 8 g
- Trans fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 64 g
- Sugar: 47 g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 6.4g