I love a good comfort food meal, and Loaded Baked Beans is one of my all-time favorites. I remember my mom making this dish every time I had friends over for dinner. It was always a hit! The combination of sweet and savory flavors, along with the creamy texture of the beans, always made this meal a crowd pleaser.
Loaded Baked Beans Recipe
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can B&M® Original Baked Beans
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Joan of Arc® Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can Joan of Arc® Spicy Chili Beans
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain any excess fat from the skillet and transfer the bacon, onion, and bell pepper to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the B&M Original Baked Beans, Joan of Arc Dark Red Kidney Beans, Joan of Arc Spicy Chili Beans, BBQ sauce, and ½ cup of the Cheddar cheese.
- Pour the bean mixture into the baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over the top of the beans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped green onions over the top of the beans and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
- Calories: 459
- Total Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 21 mg
- Sodium: 807 mg
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Sugar: 19 g
- Protein: 20 g
How can loaded baked beans be incorporated into a healthy diet?
Eating loaded baked beans can form part of a healthy diet because they are an excellent source of fiber and protein, as well as containing vitamins and minerals. However, it is important to be aware of the added sugar and sodium content of canned beans.
By choosing low-sodium canned beans, adding fresh vegetables to a dish, and opting for a homemade version when possible, you can make sure that loaded baked beans contribute positively to your diet.
Fiber is essential for good digestion and helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Loaded baked beans are high in fiber, with a single can containing around 12g. This is excellent for controlling blood sugar levels and cholesterol, and it can also help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
In addition to fiber, baked beans are also a good source of protein. A single can can provide up to 10g of protein, which is essential for building muscle and maintaining a healthy weight.
Although canned beans are high in sugar and sodium, by choosing a low-sodium version or making your own beans, you can reduce the amount of added sugar and sodium in your diet. Adding fresh vegetables to your dish will also help to make it a healthier option.
By taking these steps, you can enjoy loaded baked beans as part of a healthy diet. The high fiber and protein content, as well as the vitamins and minerals they contain, make them an excellent addition to any meal.
What are the key benefits of eating loaded baked beans?
Rich in Fiber: Loaded baked beans are a great source of dietary fiber, which can help keep your digestive system running smoothly. Fiber also helps you feel fuller for longer, making it a great option for weight management and maintenance.
- High in Protein: Loaded baked beans are a good source of plant-based protein, providing 8 grams per serving. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscles, and is also important for maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
- Low in Fat: Loaded baked beans are low in fat, providing only 1 gram per serving. This makes them an ideal choice for those looking to cut down on their intake of saturated fats.
- Low in Calories: Loaded baked beans are low in calories, providing only 120 calories per serving. This makes them a great choice for those watching their weight, as they can be enjoyed without the guilt.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: Loaded baked beans are rich in essential vitamins and minerals, such as iron, potassium, and magnesium. These nutrients are important for maintaining good health and are essential for a balanced diet.
What are the different ways to prepare loaded baked beans?
There are a variety of ways to prepare loaded baked beans. Whether you’re cooking from scratch, using a canned variety, or just heating up a pre-made version, there are plenty of delicious options to satisfy your cravings.
If you’re looking for a simple and quick recipe to make from scratch, you can combine a can of baked beans with a variety of ingredients such as bacon, onion, garlic, and spices. Start by cooking the bacon in a skillet, adding in the onion and garlic. Once the bacon and vegetables are cooked, add the beans and spices. Allow everything to simmer together until it’s heated through, and you’ve got a delicious dish.
If you’re short on time, you can also rely on a canned variety. Look for a recipe on the side of the can, or just add some of your favorite ingredients to the mix. Bacon, onion, garlic, and spices can all be added to give the beans a little extra flavor.
Finally, you can also opt for pre-made versions of loaded baked beans. These are usually found near the canned beans in the grocery store and just need to be heated up to make a tasty meal.
No matter which method you choose, you can be sure to enjoy a delicious dish of loaded baked beans.
How can adding different ingredients to loaded baked beans enhance the flavor?
Adding different ingredients to loaded baked beans is a great way to enhance the flavor and bring a unique twist to the traditional dish. There are a variety of ingredients that can be used to create a tasty and nutritious meal. Some of the most popular ingredients to add to loaded baked beans include bacon, onions, garlic, chili peppers, smoked sausage, and bell peppers. Depending on the flavor profile desired, different ingredients can be added to create a delicious and unique meal.
Bacon is a great way to add a smoky flavor to loaded baked beans. It can also be used to add texture and crunch. Onions and garlic can be used to add sweetness and a savory flavor. Chili peppers can be used to add a spicy kick. Smoked sausage can be added to create a meaty flavor and texture. Finally, bell peppers can be used to add a bright and colorful contrast to the dish.
When adding ingredients to loaded baked beans, it is important to consider their flavor profiles. For instance, bacon and smoked sausage are both salty and smoky, while onions and garlic are more sweet and savory. Additionally, chili peppers and bell peppers both provide a bit of heat to the dish. By combining a variety of ingredients, a delicious and unique meal can be created.
Using different ingredients to add flavor to loaded baked beans is a quick and easy way to give the traditional dish a unique twist. Bacon, onions, garlic, chili peppers, smoked sausage, and bell peppers are all great ingredients to add for a tasty and nutritious meal. By considering the flavor profiles of each of the ingredients, a delicious and unique meal can be easily created.
What are some creative ways to serve loaded baked beans?
There are plenty of creative and delicious ways to serve loaded baked beans. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Barbecue-Style: For a classic barbecue taste, mix your loaded baked beans with a bit of molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and simmer on the stove top. Serve them up with a side of coleslaw and cornbread.
- Mexican-Style: For a south-of-the-border twist, mix your loaded baked beans with a bit of diced tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and chili powder. Serve them with a side of refried beans and tortillas.
- Island-Style: For a tropical twist, mix your loaded baked beans with diced pineapple, coconut milk, and a bit of jerk seasoning. Serve them with a side of grilled plantains and coconut rice.
- Italian-Style: For an Italian twist, mix your loaded baked beans with diced onions, peppers, Italian seasoning, garlic, and a dash of red pepper flakes. Serve them with a side of crusty bread and a green salad.
No matter how you serve them up, loaded baked beans are sure to be a hit. Get creative with your ingredients and come up with your own unique flavor combinations.