My favorite way to start the day is with a warm, delicious coffee cake. I recently discovered this recipe for a lighter coffee cake with yogurt, pecans, and raisins, and it has quickly become my go-to breakfast treat. It’s a wonderful combination of flavors, with the sweetness of the raisins, the crunch of the pecans, and the tang of the yogurt. Every time I make it, I can’t help but smile in anticipation of the comforting aroma that will soon fill the room. This recipe is a must-try, and I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do!
Lighter Coffee Cake with Yogurt, Pecans, and Raisins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt.
- Slowly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Gently fold in the 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 1/2 cup of raisins.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Enjoy your delicious lighter coffee cake with yogurt, pecans, and raisins!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 365
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 285mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 44g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 17g
- Protein: 5g
What other ingredients do you need to make this lighter coffee cake?
Yes, in addition to the yogurt, pecans, and raisins, you’ll need a few other basic ingredients to make this lighter coffee cake. You’ll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, light brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. You’ll also need some sour cream if you want to give your coffee cake an extra bit of creaminess. To top it off, you’ll need some powdered sugar, heavy cream, and a handful of chopped pecans.
How does the yogurt make this coffee cake lighter?
The yogurt in this coffee cake recipe adds a light and fluffy texture to the cake! It acts as a natural leavening agent, making the cake lighter and airier than if you were to make it with butter and oil.
- The yogurt also adds a creamy, tangy flavor that balances out the sweetness of the cake.
- Yogurt also adds moisture, which helps to keep the cake from becoming dry.
- Finally, the yogurt adds a lovely golden color to the cake which makes it look more appetizing.
- All of these benefits make the yogurt an ideal choice for this lighter coffee cake.
What are the benefits of adding pecans and raisins to this recipe?
The addition of pecans and raisins to this recipe for Lighter Coffee Cake with Yogurt makes it so much more than a simple cake! Here are some of the amazing benefits of adding these two ingredients:
- The crunchy nuts add a delightful texture and a nutty flavor to the cake, while the raisins bring a sweet, chewy contrast.
- Pecans and raisins are both packed with essential vitamins and minerals, providing an extra boost of nutrients to this healthy coffee cake.
- The chopped pecans add a beautiful, rustic look to the finished cake and the raisins give it a pretty, speckled appearance.
- The combination of pecans and raisins creates a rich and flavorful cake that can please any palate.
How does the end result of this lighter coffee cake differ from a traditional coffee cake?
The end result of this lighter coffee cake is much lighter and fluffier than a traditional coffee cake. The yogurt and less sugar used in the recipe give this coffee cake a much softer texture and a subtle sweetness. The addition of pecans and raisins give this coffee cake a nutty and fruity flavor. Here are some of the ways this lighter coffee cake differs from a traditional coffee cake:
- It has a much lighter and fluffier texture due to the yogurt and less sugar used in the recipe.
- It has a subtle sweetness from the yogurt and less sugar.
- It has a nutty flavor from the addition of pecans.
- It has a fruity flavor from the addition of raisins.
- It has less sugar than a traditional coffee cake.
- It is much more calorie conscious, making it a great choice for those trying to watch their waistline.
What tips do you have for baking this lighter coffee cake to perfection?
Start by preheating your oven and greasing your baking pan. This will ensure that your cake bakes evenly and doesn’t stick.
- After you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, mix the butter, sugar, and yogurt together until creamy.
- Next, add in the dry ingredients, stirring them together until fully incorporated.
- Once that’s done, you can add in the pecans and raisins, stirring them in until evenly distributed.
- Finally, pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and topping it with a dusting of powdered sugar.
What is the most important step in creating a successful lighter coffee cake?
The most important step in creating a successful lighter coffee cake is to choose an alternative yogurt-based recipe. Yogurt helps to lighten the cake while still providing a moist and flavorful result. As a bonus, the yogurt adds a slight tang which pairs beautifully with the sweet pecans, raisins, and other ingredients. Plus, yogurt is a healthy alternative to traditional cake ingredients like butter, oil, and cream, making this lighter coffee cake a delicious and guilt-free treat. So, when it comes to creating a lighter coffee cake with yogurt, pecans, and raisins, the most important step is to choose a yogurt-based recipe.