If you’re looking for a light, refreshing and flavorful side dish, then look no further than Japanese Cucumber Sunomono! This delicious side dish is one of my all-time favorites. It’s a simple dish that packs in a ton of flavor and is incredibly easy to make. It’s crunchy, tangy, and savory all at the same time! I’ve been making this dish for years, and I never tire of it. There’s something so satisfying about the perfect combination of the cucumber, vinegar and soy sauce. Give it a try, and you won’t regret it!
Japanese Cucumber Sunomono Recipe
- 5 cucumbers
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon bonito flakes (optional)
- Start by gathering all of your ingredients: 5 cucumbers, ¼ cup of rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon of bonito flakes (optional).
- Wash and cut the cucumbers into thin slices and place them in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, salt, and sesame oil and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the cucumbers and mix together.
- Let the cucumbers sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of bonito flakes over the cucumbers before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious Japanese Cucumber Sunomono!
- Calories: 25 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Fat: 1 g
- Sodium: 441 mg
- Sugar: 2 g
What is japanese cucumber sunomono?
Japanese cucumber sunomono is a refreshing Japanese salad that’s a great side dish for any meal! It’s a simple mix of cucumbers, vinegar, and a few other ingredients that create a light and flavorful dish. The cucumbers are usually sliced thin and marinated in a sweet and tangy vinegar broth. Sunomono is a great way to add a pop of flavor to any meal. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a healthy side dish that’s low in calories and packed with nutrients.
How do you prepare japanese cucumber sunomono?
Preparing Japanese Cucumber Sunomono is simple – all you need are some cucumbers and a few other ingredients like vinegar and sugar!
- First, cut the cucumbers into thin slices – you can use a mandoline slicer for perfect results. Make sure to discard the ends.
- Next, place the cucumber slices into a bowl and add a teaspoon of sugar, a tablespoon of rice vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Mix the ingredients together until the cucumber slices are evenly coated.
- Finally, let the cucumbers sit for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to come through.
What are the health benefits of eating japanese cucumber sunomono?
Eating Japanese cucumber sunomono has numerous health benefits! Here are just a few:
- Low in Calories: Sunomono is a light, refreshing and crisp salad that contains only a few calories. This makes it an ideal and guilt-free snack that won’t sabotage your diet.
- Nutrient-Dense: This crunchy salad is also packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamins A and C, potassium and iron are all found in sunomono.
- High in Fiber: Sunomono is also high in fiber, which helps to keep the digestive system running smoothly. Eating sunomono can help to reduce the risk of digestive problems like constipation.
- Heart-Healthy: Sunomono is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for a healthy heart. Eating this tasty salad can help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Stress-Relieving: Sunomono is also known to have a calming effect, helping to reduce stress and anxiety. Eating sunomono can help to improve mental health and wellbeing.
Eating Japanese cucumber sunomono is a delicious way to enjoy the many health benefits it offers.
What makes japanese cucumber sunomono unique?
Japanese cucumber sunomono is unique because it combines the fresh, crisp flavor of cucumbers with a delightful, tangy umami-packed dressing. This traditional Japanese dish is easy to make, wonderfully flavorful, and a great way to enjoy cucumbers in a new way.
The dressing for sunomono is what really sets it apart from other cucumber dishes. This dressing usually consists of a combination of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar, which creates a sweet and slightly tart flavor that perfectly complements the cucumbers. Sometimes, other ingredients like grated ginger or dashi are added to the dressing to create more complex and interesting flavors.
The cucumbers used in sunomono are important too. Japanese cucumbers are generally smaller and thinner than other cucumbers and have a delicate, sweet flavor. They are usually served with the skin still on, which adds an extra layer of flavor and texture to the dish.
Another unique aspect of sunomono is its presentation. This dish is usually served cold, making it a great summertime snack. It’s also often served in a bowl with attractive slices of cucumber arranged in a decorative pattern. This makes sunomono a great choice for entertaining, as it looks as good as it tastes.
In short, Japanese cucumber sunomono is a unique and delicious dish. It combines the fresh flavor of cucumbers with a delightful and tangy dressing, making it a great way to enjoy cucumbers in a new way.
What ingredients do you need to make japanese cucumber sunomono?
If you’re looking to make a delicious and authentic Japanese cucumber sunomono, then you’re in luck! All you need are a few simple ingredients, and you’ll be well on your way to a tasty dish. The ingredients you’ll need are one or two cucumbers, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Depending on your preference, you can also add ingredients like daikon, wakame seaweed, or sesame seeds.
Once you have all the ingredients, it’s time to get cooking! To start, slice the cucumber into thin slices or strips. You can also cut it into matchsticks if you prefer. Then, mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Once that’s done, add the cucumbers and mix well.
Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, and then it’s ready to serve! For an extra kick, you can top it with sesame seeds or a bit of daikon.
How can you customize the flavor of japanese cucumber sunomono?
If you’re looking to customize the flavor of Japanese cucumber sunomono, you’re in luck! There are a variety of simple ways to make this delicious side dish your own. To make the flavor more savory and robust, add a splash of soy sauce to the vinegar and sugar mixture. For a bit of sweetness, sprinkle in some sugar and a pinch of salt. You can also add in some fresh garlic or ginger to give it a spicy kick. If you’d like a citrusy twist, try adding some fresh lemon or lime juice. Whatever you do, make sure to taste as you go so you know exactly how the flavor is turning out.
What other dishes pair well with japanese cucumber sunomono?
Japanese cucumber sunomono is a light, refreshing dish that is perfect for summer or anytime you need a break from heavier fare. But what other dishes pair well with this delicious salad?
One great accompaniment to Japanese cucumber sunomono is a hearty miso soup. Miso soup is full of umami flavor, and the miso and cucumber in the sunomono work together to balance out the richness of the soup. To make a complete meal, you can also add some grilled fish or shrimp to the soup.
Tofu dishes such as agedashi tofu and yudofu are also a great addition to Japanese cucumber sunomono. The soft, silky texture of the tofu contrasts nicely with the crunchy cucumbers, while the light flavors of both dishes complement each other perfectly.
If you want a heartier meal, you can also try pairing Japanese cucumber sunomono with some fried pork cutlets. The crunchy coating of the cutlet is a great contrast to the salad, and the salty pork complements the light cucumber flavor wonderfully.
Lastly, a classic sushi roll or two is the perfect way to round out a meal of Japanese cucumber sunomono. You can choose from a variety of options, such as salmon and avocado rolls, tuna rolls, or even eel rolls. Whatever you choose, it will add a delicious touch to your meal.
Japanese cucumber sunomono is a wonderfully light and refreshing dish, and these delicious accompaniments will make it even more enjoyable.