These chicken tenders are packed with flavor and make a great weeknight meal. The herbed breading is crispy and the tomato sauce is perfect for dipping. I always have leftovers, so they make great lunch the next day too!
- 2lbs chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. While the chicken tenders are soaking in buttermilk, make the tomato sauce by heating olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
3. Sauté onions until translucent, then add garlic and cook for another minute.
4. Add tomato paste and mix well, cooking for 1-2 minutes more until it darkens to a brick-red color.
5. Add salt and sugar, then either tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes (cooking for 5 or 10 minutes respectively).
6. Purée the sauce in a blender until smooth, starting at a low setting and working up to high while holding your hand over the lid to keep it from popping off.
- Serving size: 1 chicken tender with sauce
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 36 mg
- Sodium: 230 mg
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar 3g