Growing up, my family always cooked together on the weekends. One of our favorite recipes was herb-seasoned chicken wings. The smell of the herbs wafting through the kitchen was always one of my favorite smells, and the taste was even better! The combination of herbs was just perfect, and the wings were always cooked to perfection. I don’t think my family ever made it through the weekend without making this delicious dish. And now I’m passing this recipe on to you – so you can enjoy the same delicious meal that my family has come to love.
Herb-Seasoned Chicken Wings Recipe
- 12 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken wings and mix until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Place the chicken wings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Take the chicken wings out of the oven and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Calories: 140
- Total Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
- Sodium: 510 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Sugars: 0 g
- Protein: 16 g
What type of herbs are best for seasoning chicken wings?
When it comes to seasoning chicken wings, there are a variety of herbs that work well. Some of the most popular and versatile choices include rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, and sage. These herbs provide the perfect balance of savory and sweet flavors, allowing the natural flavor of the chicken wings to shine through. Additionally, each of these herbs has its own unique flavor profile that can be used to customize the flavor of the wings. For instance, rosemary has a strong, slightly bitter flavor that works well with smoked chicken wings, while oregano is a bit sweeter and can be used to add a hint of Mediterranean flavor.
How can you tell when chicken wings have been seasoned with herbs?
To tell when chicken wings have been seasoned with herbs, look for an abundant amount of green herbs visible on the surface of the wings. Herbs such as basil, oregano, and parsley will give chicken wings an aromatic and flavorful finish. You should also be able to smell the herbs when you bring the wings close to your nose. If the chicken wings have been cooked correctly, the herbs should be cooked but still retain a bright green color. Additionally, the herbs will be evenly distributed across the surface of the wings, giving them a uniform and consistent flavor.
What are some of the benefits of using herbs to season chicken wings?
Herbs are an excellent way to season chicken wings and have a variety of benefits.
Some of these benefits include:
- Herbs are a natural, healthy way to season chicken wings. They provide a nutritious alternative to using processed seasonings that often contain high amounts of sodium, sugar and other unhealthy additives.
- Herbs provide a unique flavor and aroma to the wings that cannot be obtained using other seasonings. They can be combined to create a variety of flavor profiles and can be tailored to individual tastes.
- Herbs are readily available, easy to prepare and don’t require any special equipment or ingredients. They can be found fresh or dried, making them a convenient and cost-effective seasoning option.
- Herbs are a great way to add nutritional value to the dish. Many herbs are packed with vitamins and minerals, such as oregano, which is a great source of vitamin K.
- Finally, herbs are a great way to add a little extra color and texture to the dish. A sprinkle of fresh herbs adds a nice visual contrast to the crispy wings.
All these benefits make herbs an excellent choice for seasoning chicken wings. Herbs are the perfect way to add a unique flavor, aroma, and nutrition to the dish.
How do herbs enhance the flavor of chicken wings?
Herbs are a great way to enhance the flavor of chicken wings! Here are some of the best herbs to use when making herb-seasoned chicken wings:
- Oregano: Oregano is a classic herb for adding flavor to chicken wings. It has a warm, earthy flavor that pairs well with garlic and other herbs.
- Rosemary: Rosemary has a strong, herbal flavor that is well suited for chicken wings. It adds a unique flavor that is both savory and aromatic.
- Thyme: Thyme is a popular herb for chicken wings. It has a mild, lemony flavor that pairs well with garlic and other herbs.
- Parsley: Parsley has a mild flavor that is great for adding a subtle, herbal flavor to chicken wings.
- Basil: Basil has a sweet, fragrant flavor that is perfect for adding a touch of sweetness to chicken wings.
- Sage: Sage is an herb with a strong, earthy flavor that is perfect for adding depth and complexity to chicken wings.
These herbs can be used on their own or in combination to create a unique and flavorful herb seasoning for chicken wings. When using herbs to season chicken wings, it is best to add them near the end of the cooking process so that the flavor does not burn off.
What herbs work best with other ingredients commonly used to flavor chicken wings?
Herbs that work best with other ingredients commonly used to flavor chicken wings include garlic, rosemary, oregano, chili powder, and cumin. These herbs add an earthy aroma and flavor to the wings, while still allowing other ingredients to shine through. Garlic and oregano are often used together with paprika to create a classic, smoky flavor. Rosemary is also a great choice for adding a hint of sweetness and herbal complexity. Chili powder and cumin provide a slightly spicy kick that works well with the other ingredients. Additionally, adding a pinch of oregano, chili powder, and cumin to freshly cooked wings really brings out the flavor of the other ingredients.
How can you safely store chicken wings with herbs?
The best way to store herb-seasoned chicken wings is to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. This will help to prevent the herbs from drying out or becoming stale. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the chicken wings are completely cooled before being stored. If the chicken wings are still warm, the moisture can cause the herbs to become soggy and spoil quickly.
To ensure the herbs stay as fresh as possible, store the chicken wings in the refrigerator for up to two days. If you need to store them for longer, then freezing them is the best option. To freeze the chicken wings, wrap them in foil first and then place them in a freezer-safe container. When ready to reheat, make sure to thaw the wings in the refrigerator overnight before cooking.
Finally, it is important to remember to label the container with the date that the chicken wings were prepared. This will make it easy to identify them and ensure that they are eaten in a timely fashion.
By following these guidelines for storing herb-seasoned chicken wings, you can ensure that the flavor and texture of the wings remain at their best.
What types of dishes can be created with herb-seasoned chicken wings?
Herb-seasoned chicken wings can be used to create a variety of delicious dishes. Some popular options include Buffalo wings, classic fried chicken wings, and honey garlic wings. However, there are many other ways to bring out the flavor of herb-seasoned chicken wings. Spicy and sweet options alike can be created with these wings, giving you plenty of options for dinner.
Buffalo wings are a classic favorite, with a spicy flavor and an unmistakable kick. To make them, simply toss the wings in hot sauce and butter, and season with your favorite herbs and spices. Serve with blue cheese or ranch dressing, and you have a crowd-pleasing dish.
Fried chicken wings are also a great way to enjoy herb-seasoned wings. To make fried wings, coat the wings in a seasoned egg wash and flour mix. Fry in a deep fryer or a pot of hot oil, until they are golden brown and crispy. For an extra flavor boost, add a bit of your favorite herbs and spices to the egg and flour mix.
Honey garlic wings are another popular option. To make this dish, combine honey, garlic, butter, and your favorite herbs and spices in a bowl. Toss the wings in the mixture until they are evenly coated. Bake until the wings are cooked through and golden brown. Serve with a side of rice and vegetables for a balanced meal.
In addition to these popular dishes, there are many other dishes that can be created with herb-seasoned chicken wings. A few ideas include teriyaki wings, ranch wings, and spicy honey wings. For a unique twist, try breading the wings in panko and herbs before frying them. You can also experiment with different herb combinations to create a variety of flavors.
No matter how you choose to prepare herb-seasoned chicken wings, they are sure to make a delicious meal. With so many options to choose from, you can create a different dish every time.