Gruyere Gougeres Recipe – Delicious Appetizer With Cheese
I’ve been making Gruyere Gougeres for years, and they never disappoint! These cheesy, fluffy bites of delight are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Whenever I bring them to a gathering, they’re always the first thing to disappear!
Gruyere Gougeres Recipe
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and get ready to make some delicious Gruyere Gougeres!
- In a medium saucepan, add the water, butter, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and add in the flour all at once. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Once cooled, add the eggs one at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
- Finally, stir in the Gruyere cheese and get ready to make your Gougeres.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop tablespoon-sized lumps of the dough onto the sheet, leaving about an inch between each one.
- Place the sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 15.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 16g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.75g
- Sugars: 0.4g
- Protein: 10.5g
What are gougeres and what is gruyere cheese? – get readers familiar with the ingredients and provide a brief explanation of what makes gruyere cheese unique.
Gougeres are fluffy, savory, cheese-filled pastries. They are usually made with choux pastry and Gruyere cheese. Gruyere cheese is a type of Swiss cheese, made from cow’s milk. The cheese is semi-hard, with a nutty taste and slightly sweet flavor. The cheese is best when grated or melted, making it a great addition to dishes like gougeres.
What makes Gruyere cheese unique is its texture. It has a smooth, creamy texture that melts in your mouth, making it perfect for dishes like fondue or mac & cheese. The cheese also has a slightly nutty flavor, which gives it a unique taste. In addition, the cheese has a unique aging process, which helps to give it a unique flavor and aroma.
Gougeres are a delicious snack or appetizer, made with Gruyere cheese. They are light and airy, with a savory, cheesy taste. Not only are they a delicious snack, but they are also a great way to use up leftover cheese. So if you’re looking for a tasty, cheese-filled treat, try making some Gougeres with Gruyere cheese.
Creative ways to serve gruyere gougeres – give readers ideas on how to creatively incorporate them into a meal or party.
You can get creative with gruyere gougeres! Whether you’re planning a dinner party or a casual gathering, they’re the perfect nibble to serve up in a variety of ways. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Create an appetizer platter – arrange the gougeres on a beautiful platter alongside other tasty treats like cured meats, olives, and assorted cheeses. Serve with a selection of jams, honey, and chutneys for a truly delicious start to the meal.
- Make a gougère-based tart – make a tart base with puff pastry and top with cheese and your favorite herbs, then bake until golden and serve with a salad.
- Turn them into a sandwich – layer slices of gruyere with pickles, tomato, and arugula, and fill a toasted baguette with the delicious combination.
- Stuff them with your favorite ingredients – use a sharp knife to carefully cut a small pocket in each gougere and stuff with cooked mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Bake until golden and serve as a tasty side dish.
- Turn them into crostini – after baking the gougeres, slice them in half and top with a mixture of cream cheese and herbs. Serve as an elegant appetizer or as part of a mezze platter.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or looking for a tasty snack, gruyere gougeres are a great way to get creative in the kitchen.
How to make delicious gruyere gougeres at home – walk readers through the process of making these delicious, cheesy treats.
Ready to make some delicious and cheesy gruyere gougeres right at home? Follow these steps and you’ll have delicious gougères in no time!
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of butter, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
- When it begins to boil, add 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Then add 4 eggs, one at a time, and stir until the dough is shiny and smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of grated gruyere cheese, 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Stir until the cheese is fully incorporated.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out small mounds of the dough onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve hot, with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a dollop of crème fraîche.
Benefits of eating gruyere gougeres – highlight the nutritional benefits and why they’re a great snack or appetizer.
Eating Gruyere Gougeres is a great way to get delicious, nutritious snacks and appetizers. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
- Low in Calories: A single gougere is only 65 calories, so it’s a great guilt-free snack.
- High in Protein: The Gruyere cheese contains a good amount of protein, giving you a healthy boost of energy.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: Gruyere cheese is packed with important vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B12, Calcium, Zinc and more.
- Easily Digestible: The ingredients used in gougeres are easily digestible, making it an ideal snack for people with digestive issues.
- Versatile: Gougeres can be served as an appetizer, snack, or even as part of a main meal. You can also make them with different types of cheeses and ingredients for a variety of flavors.
Tips and tricks for making the perfect gougeres every time – provide readers with tips on how to make sure their gougeres turn out perfect every time.
Follow the recipe closely – To always ensure your gougeres turn out perfect, it’s important to follow the recipe closely. Pay attention to measurements and techniques, and resist the urge to experiment.
- Use high-quality ingredients – High-quality ingredients will make all the difference in the taste and texture of your gougeres. Choose the best-quality butter and cheese you can find and grate the cheese yourself for the freshest flavor.
- Measure carefully – Measure all your ingredients directly into the mixing bowl instead of premeasuring them. This will help you get consistent results every time.
- Don’t overmix – Overmixing the dough will cause it to become too dry and tough, so just mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Bake at the right temperature – Baking your gougeres at the right temperature is key. The heat of the oven should be just hot enough to puff the gougeres up, but not so hot that they burn.
- Check for doneness – Test your gougeres by taking one out and cutting it in half. It should be light and fluffy, with a golden-brown crust. If it’s still doughy, bake for a few more minutes.
- Store correctly – Let the gougeres cool completely before storing in an airtight container. They will stay fresh for up to three days.