I have been making this Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole for years and it’s always a hit. It’s a delicious and easy meal that I can make ahead of time, so I can spend more time with my family and less time in the kitchen. The combination of green chiles, chicken, and cheese is always a hit, and the flavors come together perfectly. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftovers, if you have any. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and onion, and cook until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add green chiles, tomatoes with green chiles, enchilada sauce, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, spread cooked rice in an even layer. Pour chicken mixture over rice and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 349 kcal,
- Fat: 17.4g,
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g,
- Cholesterol: 54mg,
- Sodium: 1034mg,
- Carbohydrates: 30.4g,
- Fiber: 5.4g,
- Sugar: 2.3g,
- Protein: 19.5g
What type of cheese pairs best with the green chile chicken enchilada casserole?
Monterrey Jack cheese pairs best with Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole. This mild Mexican cheese is creamy, mild and melts quickly, making it the perfect topping for the casserole. It has a slightly nutty flavor and a slightly salty taste that will complement the heat of the green chiles.
If Monterrey Jack cheese is unavailable, other types of cheese such as cheddar, Colby and pepper jack can be used. Cheddar cheese is a good choice because it’s versatile, melts easily and has a mild flavor that won’t overpower the other ingredients. Colby cheese is less sharp than cheddar and has a mellow flavor, which will not overpower the other flavors. Pepper jack cheese is also a good choice if you want to add a bit of spice to the dish.
Feta cheese is another option for topping the casserole. It has a salty, tangy flavor and a creamy texture that will pair nicely with the green chiles. Pecorino Romano is a hard cheese that has a sharp, salty flavor and a firm texture. This cheese is great for adding a bit of crunch and flavor to the casserole.
When it comes to pairing cheese with Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Monterrey Jack is the best choice. For those looking for more variety, cheddar, Colby, pepper jack, feta, and Pecorino Romano are all excellent options. Whichever cheese you choose, it will be a delicious addition to this flavorful dish.
What are the benefits of making a green chile chicken enchilada casserole?
The benefits of making a green chile chicken enchilada casserole include:
- The dish is easy to prepare, requiring minimal effort and ingredients. All you need to do is layer your ingredients in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake.
- With its combination of chicken, cheese, and spices, green chile chicken enchilada casserole is a flavorful and filling meal that can be served as a main course or side dish.
- The casserole is very versatile and can be made with different ingredients such as black beans, corn, and bell peppers.
- This dish is also a great way to use up leftovers, as you can easily mix and match ingredients to create a new and exciting meal.
- The casserole is perfect for preparing ahead of time, as it can be made up to a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it.
How does the green chile chicken enchilada casserole compare to other mexican dishes?
The Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a unique dish that combines the flavors of traditional Mexican cuisine with the convenience of modern casserole-style cooking. Unlike many popular Mexican dishes, this casserole is made with shredded chicken and green chiles, giving it a unique flavor and texture. Here are some ways it stands out from other Mexican dishes:
- Unique Flavor: The combination of shredded chicken and green chiles gives the Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole a distinctively robust flavor that is unlike any other Mexican dish.
- Quick and Easy: This casserole can be made in a fraction of the time it takes to prepare many traditional Mexican dishes, making it a great choice for busy families or for days when you need a quick meal.
- Versatile: The Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole can be easily customized with different ingredients to accommodate different tastes or dietary restrictions.
- Healthy: Unlike many Mexican dishes, this casserole is a healthy option, as it is packed with protein and other essential nutrients.
Overall, the Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a unique and flavorful Mexican dish that is both easy to make and good for you. It can be enjoyed as a main course, as an accompaniment to a meal, or even as a light snack.
What ingredients are needed to make a green chile chicken enchilada casserole?
To make a green chile chicken enchilada casserole, you will need boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced tomatoes and green chiles, enchilada sauce, black beans, and shredded cheese. Additionally, you will need Mexican seasonings, such as cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder, as well as salt and pepper, to taste.
To begin, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then, season the chicken breasts with the Mexican seasonings, salt, and pepper, and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, diced tomatoes and green chiles, black beans, enchilada sauce, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Pour the mixture into a baking dish coated with cooking spray and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve with extra enchilada sauce, if desired.
How long does it take to prepare and cook a green chile chicken enchilada casserole?
Preparing and cooking a green chile chicken enchilada casserole typically takes between 1-1.5 hours.
Creating this flavorful dish begins by prepping the ingredients, which includes boiling chicken breasts, chopping vegetables, and making a creamy enchilada sauce. The chicken breasts should boil for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Once cooked, the chicken needs to be shredded and set aside. The vegetables should then be chopped, and the enchilada sauce should be prepared according to any recipe you choose.
Once all of the ingredients are prepped and ready to go, the casserole can be assembled. This process typically takes about 10-15 minutes, as the ingredients need to be layered in a casserole dish. The dish should then be baked in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
After the casserole is finished cooking, it should be allowed to cool for a few minutes before serving. This will ensure that the casserole stays together when served, rather than falling apart in individual pieces.
In total, it should take between 1-1.5 hours to prepare and cook a green chile chicken enchilada casserole.
What other sides go best with a green chile chicken enchilada casserole?
When it comes to sides, the possibilities for a green chile chicken enchilada casserole are virtually endless. However, some of the most delicious sides to pair with this classic dish are a fresh green salad, Mexican street corn, black beans, and a colorful slaw.
A fresh green salad is the perfect companion to this casserole. You can create a light and flavorful salad with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, avocados, and a simple vinaigrette. For added crunch, you can also top the salad with crushed tortilla chips.
Mexican street corn is an excellent side dish and pairs perfectly with the green chile chicken enchilada casserole. This simple dish consists of grilled or boiled corn, cotija cheese, chili powder, cilantro, and lime juice. It adds a wonderful level of flavor and texture to the meal.
Black beans are a great side dish for this casserole. The hearty and earthy flavors of black beans pair nicely with the spiciness of the green chile chicken. You can cook the beans in a variety of ways, such as simmering, boiling, or slow cooking.
Finally, a colorful slaw is a great way to finish off this meal. You can make a simple slaw with shredded cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers, and top it off with a creamy dressing. The crunchy texture and vibrant colors will add a fresh and vibrant touch to the green chile chicken enchilada casserole.
No matter what sides you choose to serve with your green chile chicken enchilada casserole, you’re sure to have a delicious and satisfying meal. With a variety of sides available, you can mix and match to create the perfect combination that is sure to delight your taste buds.