I love the smell of a hearty chicken stew bubbling away on the stove. Growing up, it was one of my go-to comfort foods on chilly winter days. I remember my mom would always make it the same way—using a few simple ingredients, like carrots, celery, and potatoes, to create a flavorful and nourishing meal.
Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1 ½ cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with the Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Place the chicken in the pot and cook for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add the onion, garlic, okra, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the pot and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chicken stew hot. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 189
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 821mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 14g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 14g
Different ways to make chicken stew
Chicken stew is a classic, comforting dish that can be jazzed up with a variety of ingredients. Here are some ideas to help you create your own unique version of the dish:
- Add a variety of vegetables, such as carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, and mushrooms. Roast the vegetables in the oven before adding them to the stew for an even richer flavor.
- Use different types of stock to add an extra layer of flavor to the stew. Try using vegetable, chicken, or beef stock for a unique twist.
- Add some spice to your stew with a variety of herbs and spices. Try different combinations such as garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and paprika.
- Try adding different types of beans to your stew. Beans add texture and flavor to the dish.
- Incorporate different types of meats into your stew. Chicken is the most common type of meat used in stew, but you can also try adding beef, pork, or even turkey.
With these ideas, you can easily create your own unique version of chicken stew. Experiment with different combinations of ingredients to create a dish that is sure to please.
The benefits of chicken stew
Chicken stew is a nutritious and delicious meal that can provide a range of health benefits.
- It is high in protein, making it a great choice for those who are looking to build and maintain muscle.
- Chicken stew also provides essential vitamins and minerals, such as zinc, iron, and vitamin B6, which can help boost your immune system and keep your body functioning properly.
- Additionally, chicken stew is low in fat and calories, making it a great choice for those who are trying to lose or maintain their weight.
- The vegetables used in chicken stew also provide a range of health benefits, including fiber, which can help keep your digestive system functioning properly and aid in the absorption of nutrients from other foods.
- Furthermore, the vegetables in chicken stew contain antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and the risk of chronic illnesses.
- Finally, chicken stew is a great source of healthy fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce cholesterol levels and keep your heart healthy.
Tips for making the perfect chicken stew
Start with the right type of chicken: For a stew that’s juicy and flavorful, it’s important to start with the right kind of chicken. For best results, choose a chicken that’s free-range, organic, or pasture-raised.
- Cook the chicken properly: Properly cooked chicken is essential for a delicious stew. To ensure the chicken is cooked through, make sure it’s cooked at a high temperature for a long period of time, and use a thermometer to check for doneness.
- Use the right kind of broth: For a flavorful stew, it’s important to choose a flavorful broth. Try using a low-sodium chicken broth that’s packed with herbs and spices for added flavor.
- Don’t forget the vegetables: For a hearty stew, it’s important to add plenty of vegetables. Try adding potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic for added flavor and texture.
- Finish with herbs and spices: To give the stew extra flavor and depth, finish it off with an assortment of herbs and spices. Good choices include thyme, rosemary, oregano, and parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread: To make the perfect chicken stew, don’t forget to serve it with a side of crusty bread. The bread is perfect for sopping up all the delicious juices.
Where to buy chicken stew
When it comes to buying ready-made chicken stew, there are a few great options to choose from. For those looking for a quick and easy solution, many grocery stores and supermarkets offer a variety of pre-made chicken stews. These typically come in microwavable containers or cans, and can be ready to eat in minutes.
For those looking for something with a bit more flavor, many restaurants have chicken stews on their menus. These stews are usually made-to-order with fresh ingredients, and can provide a more flavorful alternative.
Finally, for those looking for something truly unique, there are specialty stores that specialize in chicken stews. These stores offer a wide variety of flavors and ingredients, and are great for those looking for something truly special.
Special occasion chicken stew recipes
If you are looking for special occasion chicken stew recipes, you have come to the right place! Below are a few delicious and unique recipes that are perfect for holidays, special events, or family gatherings. All of them are sure to be a hit with your guests, no matter what the occasion.
For a festive holiday chicken stew, try this recipe with cranberry and apples. Start by searing two boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a large pot. Once they are browned, add two tablespoons butter, two diced onions, two diced celery stalks, and two diced carrots. Saute the vegetables until they are softened, then add in two diced apples and a cup of fresh or frozen cranberries. Pour in three cups of chicken broth and one cup of white wine, and bring the stew to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
For a special family gathering, try this classic chicken stew recipe. Start by sautéing two tablespoons of butter with two diced onions, two diced carrots, and two diced celery stalks in a large pot. Once the vegetables are softened, add in two boneless, skinless chicken breasts and sear them until they are golden brown. Pour in one cup of white wine and three cups of chicken broth, and bring the stew to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Finally, add a cup of frozen peas and cook for an additional five minutes. Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
For a unique dish for a special event, try this spicy chicken stew. Start by searing two boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a large pot. Once they are browned, add two tablespoons of butter, two diced onions, two diced celery stalks, and two diced carrots. Saute the vegetables until they are softened, then add one can diced tomatoes, one can of black beans (drained and rinsed), one teaspoon of chili powder, and one teaspoon of cumin. Pour in three cups of chicken broth and one cup of white wine, and bring the stew to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
No matter what the occasion is, these special occasion chicken stew recipes are sure to be a hit.