I remember the first time I ever tried a cheddar biscuit. It was at a family gathering, and my aunt had made them from scratch. I was immediately taken aback by the intense flavor of the cheddar mixed with the buttery biscuit base. The combination was irresistible, and I knew that I had to try and recreate the same experience at home. After a few attempts, I finally perfected a recipe for cheddar biscuits that is sure to please anyone who tries them.
Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
- 1. 2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 2. ¾ cup milk
- 3. ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4. ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 5. ¼ cup butter, melted
- 6. ¼ teaspoon OLD BAY® Seasoning
- 7. ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8. ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 9. ¼ teaspoon parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine Bisquick mix, milk, and shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Add melted butter and mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together OLD BAY Seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and parsley flakes.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over biscuit dough and mix until evenly distributed.
- Drop biscuit dough onto a greased baking sheet, making sure to leave at least two inches between each biscuit.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve warm with additional melted butter. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Sodium: 420 mg
What cheese varieties make the best cheddar biscuits?
The best cheese varieties for cheddar biscuits are sharp or extra sharp cheddar, smoked cheddar, pepper jack, and Swiss.
Sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese adds a bold flavor to cheddar biscuits. The sharpness of the cheese complements the biscuit’s flavor and texture. Smoked cheddar gives the biscuit a smoky taste that pairs well with the biscuit’s buttery texture. Pepper jack cheese adds a hint of spice to the biscuit, making it more flavorful. Swiss cheese can be used to top the biscuit before baking, adding a mild, nutty flavor.
No matter which cheese variety you choose for your cheddar biscuits, it’s important to use high-quality cheese. Using low-quality cheese can produce a biscuit that is too greasy or has a flavor that is too mild or salty.
If you’re looking for an easy way to add extra flavor to your cheddar biscuits, try adding other ingredients such as herbs, spices, and diced vegetables. Herbs such as oregano, thyme, and basil pair well with cheddar and can give your biscuit a unique flavor. Adding spices like pepper or cayenne can enhance the flavor of the cheese and make the biscuit spicier. Chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, and jalapenos can add crunch and sweetness to the biscuit, making it more flavorful.
No matter which cheese variety you choose for your cheddar biscuit, you can be sure it will be delicious. With the right combination of cheese, herbs, spices, and vegetables, you can create a flavorful and unique cheddar biscuit your family will love.
What are some creative ways to add cheddar cheese to biscuits?
When it comes to cheddar biscuits, there are plenty of creative ways to add cheddar cheese to them. Here are some ideas:
- Grated Cheddar: The most classic way to add cheddar cheese to biscuits is to simply grate a few ounces of cheese and sprinkle it over the raw dough before baking. This will give the biscuits a nice cheesy flavor.
- Cheese Filling: Another great way to add cheddar to biscuits is to make a cheese-filled center. Start by filling the centers of the biscuits with grated cheddar and then seal the edges. The cheese will melt during baking and give a burst of flavor when the biscuit is bitten into.
- Cheese-Topped Biscuits: For an even cheesier biscuit, top the biscuit with slices of cheddar cheese. Before baking, top each biscuit with a slice of cheese and bake as usual. The cheese will melt and give a nice cheesy flavor.
- Cheddar-Herb Biscuits: Add an extra kick of flavor to your cheddar biscuits by adding herbs. Before baking, mix grated cheddar with herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Sprinkle the mixture over the raw dough and bake as usual.
These are just a few creative ways to add cheddar cheese to biscuits. With these ideas, you can make some delicious cheddar biscuits that will be sure to please any cheese lover.
What are some interesting flavor combinations that work well with cheddar biscuits?
When it comes to cheddar biscuits, there are a variety of flavor combinations that work well. From savory to sweet, here are some of the most interesting flavor combinations to try with cheddar biscuits.
For a savory flavor, try adding garlic, chives, and bacon. The combination of garlic and chives adds a mild onion flavor with a hint of garlic, and the bacon adds a smoky, salty flavor. This savory flavor profile is the perfect accompaniment to a savory cheddar biscuit.
For a sweet flavor, try adding honey, cinnamon, and apples. The combination of honey and cinnamon adds a warm sweetness that complements the saltiness of the cheddar, and the addition of apples adds a subtle tartness. This sweet flavor profile pairs nicely with a sweet cheddar biscuit.
For a unique flavor, try adding blue cheese, walnuts, and cranberries. The blue cheese adds a sharp, tangy flavor, while the walnuts provide crunchy texture and nutty flavor. The combination of sweet and tart cranberries helps to balance out the flavors and adds a subtle depth of flavor. This unique flavor profile works well with a savory or sweet cheddar biscuit.
No matter what flavor profile you choose, cheddar biscuits are sure to be a hit. Experiment with different flavor combinations to find the one that works best for you.
What kind of texture difference does adding more cheddar cheese make to biscuits?
Adding more cheddar cheese to biscuits will give them a much more intense cheesy flavor and a firmer texture. The cheddar cheese adds a nice salty bite, and its firmer texture helps to hold the biscuit together better. Additionally, the extra cheese will add moisture to the biscuit, giving it a softer, more tender texture. The cheese also adds a cheesy crunch to the crunchy exterior of the biscuit. All in all, adding more cheddar cheese to biscuits will make them taste more flavorful and have a more interesting texture.
What techniques can be used to ensure a flaky texture in cheddar biscuits?
When making cheddar biscuits, there are several techniques that can be used to ensure a flaky texture. The most important of these techniques is to ensure that the butter used is cold, as this will prevent it from melting too quickly and causing a dense biscuit. Additionally, cutting the butter into small pieces and incorporating it into the biscuit dough by hand or with a pastry cutter can help create a flaky texture.
When adding other ingredients, such as cheese and herbs, it is important to add them gradually, and to mix them in with a light hand in order to keep the dough from becoming too dense. Additionally, it is important to knead the dough lightly and quickly in order to keep it from becoming heavy.
It is also important to chill the dough before baking, as this will give the biscuits a lighter texture. Baking the biscuits at a lower temperature for a longer period of time can also help to ensure a flaky texture. Finally, brushing the biscuits with melted butter before baking can add extra flavor and help create a flaky texture.